Expected duration of published scenarios

Litpho

Expected duration of published scenarios

Postby Litpho » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm

I have been running Revelations of Heaven with my group and so far we're close to finishing Act II with about six hours of playtime. Are we so inefficient or is the scenario really built on about ten hours of play?

I'm askimg because we eventually want to get to the Theatre Knights campaign, but I would like to get Arivor's Doom in, perhaps preceded by a Heroes Work outing (Witch's Dance might be nice) and then having the Thorwalian Drum lead into Theatre Knights. If read this right, I would get at least six sessions of 3.5 hours out of that. Does that sound somewhat correct?

Thrar

Re: Expected duration of published scenarios

Postby Thrar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:31 pm

It varies a lot by the group's playstyle and number of players.
My group is fairly small at 3 players but we tend to be quite meticulous and thorough. We spent 8 hours over 2 sessions on Witches' Dance, which I think some groups finish in 2-3 hours.

I think your best bet is to use the benchmark you have from Revelations and compare it to the other scenarios you're looking to play. Reading the book should give you an idea if they're larger or smaller than Revelations, and roughly by how much.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 am

We always need twice as long as other groups LOL. We have already managed to take 18 hours for an adventure. Important is you have fun.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 am

When I run demos at conventions, I can run a Heroic Works like Witch's Dance or Emperor of Thieves in a 4-hour slot, but I'm editing and condensing pretty heavily to squeeze it in. Emperor of Thieves at least I would be more comfortable allowing 5-6 hours, and The Thorwal Drum is fairly comparable to that.

Litpho

Postby Litpho » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 am

Sounds reasonable. We're having a lot of fun, but this is probably the first time I've run prewritten scenarios since DSA1 and about 1986, so the content density took me by surprise a bit. Thanks all for answering :).

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

We usually need 2 sessions of 12 hours each per theatre knights adventure. so thats about 144hours for that. We also spend about 18 hours in "a goblin more or less" but finished an edited witches dance in about 4 hours.

In my other campaign we will spend a session rushing through several pages of content, while sometimes we are "stuck" at the same line of text for 30 hours. There is so much to happen and interact, its quite hard to predict.

The thorwalian drum was about 10-12 hours with a lot of added shenanigans

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:16 pm

FYI another adventure option is The Molted Serpent between Revelations and Arivor. Slightly better location fit. We just finished Arivor in 4 sessions & 4hrs each.

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”