Greetings from Montana

wizardeddas

Greetings from Montana

Postby wizardeddas » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Greetings!

One of my players learned about this game via the Torg kickstarter and told me about it.
We just ran the mini adventure in the quickstart guide this weekend. My players picked up the mechanics in the quickstart a lot easier than they did the last couple of systems we've tried.

I've got to say I'm hooked. What I've read about the setting is really interesting so far. I also love the difference in the magic system as compared to Pathfinder or 5e.
The parry and dodge abilities were a hit at my table. My players love having a chance to block attacks, though they aren't too fond of their attacks being blocked lol.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: Greetings from Montana

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 am

LOL :lol:

Have fun with tde. I'm sure you will love it.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome to our every growing community, from sunny Scotland.

The Dark Eye, specially when coming from a D&D and Pathfinder background, gives the game a bit more realism. You don't end up with a PC group who by themselves can take out an entire army, and even at higher levels you still need to be polite to the local Lord because otherwise his guard will just turn up with 3 times as many people as you have, making for terrible odds.

That means it is a game in which diplomacy, compromises and hence actual roleplaying becomes more important than the ability to murder scores of monsters.

I love the fact that no matter what level you are playing at, a group of Bandits with a well planned ambush are a threat you cannot ignore.

I hope you will enjoy the game as much as many of the people on these forums and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There are plenty of friendly and knowledge people around.

wizardeddas

Postby wizardeddas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 am

Oh I am sure I will love it.
So far it appears to be exactly what I've been looking for all this time that I've been trying new systems.

We've been looking for that has a bit more realism. Where magic users, while still very useful, are not throwing around enough magic to decimate a small village each round of combat.
Where even at higher levels, they have to rely on their wits to survive. Where they have to think ahead and actually role play.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Welcome aboard Wizardeddas. That was a good choice to get hooked on TDE :D
Have fun, and if you have questions feel free to ask.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

mahughes

Postby mahughes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 am

Welcome aboard. I am from Alabama and glad to see some more Americans getting on board with the Dark Eye. Although the game has been around in Germany and Europe in general for quite some time it has never had the audience that I am hoping it will now get in many English speaking countries. It is a great system, Dere a very cool world, and tons of fun. I would also recommend the Aventuria Adventures YouTube channel which is supported by Ulisses Spiele, it is definately worth checking out with actual gameplay.

wizardeddas

Postby wizardeddas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I'm going to run my group through Revelations From Heaven over the next weekend or two.
Two of my players missed last weekend so I want them to get a chance.
After that we have to spend a couple weeks tieing up loose ends in our star wars campaign before we start an actual campaign in TDE.
Doing it this way so everyone gets a chance at playing with pregens, so they can get excited and have fun with the system before having to try and create their own characters.

This also gives me a few weeks to dig into the core rule book and the almanac.

Also looking forward to the warring kingdoms kickstarter.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am

Hi,

Warring Kingdoms is a great book. Especially if you are new to the backround. Nostria+Andergast are a great Setting to start TDE with and your players will probably appreciate the new spells and the druid tradition.

greetings from Germany have fun in Aventuria

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”