German gamer from Cologne

GTStar

German gamer from Cologne

Postby GTStar » Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello to all of you,

I'm Gernot from Cologne, backer for the CORE RULES PHYSICAL pledge and I'm looking forward to the end of the kickstarter and all that follows :)

I'm a fan of DSA/TDE since mid of the nineties hope to help you guys out get to know the world and the rules.

Lambert

Re: German gamer from Cologne

Postby Lambert » Tue May 31, 2016 3:43 am

I used to buy LARP stuff in the Schatzkammer in Cologne, back in the day. And I have watched a few Netrunner streams from Hive World. My parents are from near Düsseldorf and so I am in the area often enough.

Seeing that I checked out of The Dark Eye when you started I was wondering what might be the best way to catch up with the Metaplot (i.e. recent history). I would love to read what has happened since I stopped playing in 94. I know there was a history book, but I am not sure it is enough about the recent history rather than the stuff beforehand.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Tue May 31, 2016 7:28 pm

The Historia has around 350 pages, but only cca. 30 about the newer times.

You could watch the Orkenspalter videos, if you still understand German :)

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 pm

It would still be an interesting read, but maybe I should try to sell Ulisses on the concept of a modern history book.

schreinereiner

Postby schreinereiner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Lambert wrote:It would still be an interesting read, but maybe I should try to sell Ulisses on the concept of a modern history book.

I wouldn't bet on it in the near term. I was looking for an Aventurian history as well for the same reasons as you - catching up on the timeline. The first edition of the Historia Aventurica was apparently pulled from the market after massive criticism from the fan community about its style and factual contradictions to earlier publications. The revised edition was released Summer 2015 but didn't address one of the main criticisms - that large portions were set up as subjective retellings of historic events from the perspective of a giant rather than being a definitive historical text written in a scholarly tone.

Still, it's the only comprehensive source providing a more or less cohesive overview of Aventurian history. I'm considering a purchase since I love this type of in-game history book. I highly doubt though that it'll get translated to English in the near term, if ever.

Drivethrurpg has the German PDF available @ http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139217/Historia-Aventurica-PDF-als-Download-kaufen?filters=100_0_0_0_40051

bern

Postby bern » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 am

The Aventuria Almanac will have a summary of the history from the creation of the universe to the current timeline. The closer the description gets to the current time the more detailed it gets. I think it gives you a good overview. Also every source book gives you a history summary based on the topic of the book, so it may be about a region, a kingdom, Elves or Dwarfs.

schreinereiner

Postby schreinereiner » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 am

bern wrote:The Aventuria Almanac will have a summary of the history from the creation of the universe to the current timeline. The closer the description gets to the current time the more detailed it gets. I think it gives you a good overview.

Great! I'll probably still get the Historia Aventurica eventually since I'm a sucker for this type of book. From what I read in the reviews it almost felt a bit like Tolkien's Silmarillion. And as far as I can tell its content is completely TDE edition independent.

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”