Greetings and salutations

MadBeard

Greetings and salutations

Postby MadBeard » Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 am

Hi everyone!
I forgot to post introduction post :oops:
My name is Marino and I came from Croatia. I've never played TDE but I fell in love with the system while I was playing Drakensang (now I'm playing Chains of Satinav and Memoria :) ). Then I started to search for books but all I could find was in German which unfortunately I don't speak. Couple of years later my friend managed to get me English TDE book (I think from 2001 but I'm not sure) but were in pretty bad shape. And no one want to play so I didn't bother.
I'm coming from small town and there is no one to play so I must play online with my friends using virtual tabletop like TToopRPGwhich is best VTT I could find (I tried every vtt availble) and its free. At least for d20 systems. It'll work for TDE also, but I'm thinking about a switch to RPtools because you can set up more complicated macro rolls which will come in handy for TDE. I'll see how it'll behave. Can't wait to start playing TDE.
I'm plan to create fillable form character sheet for TDE and I hope you guys will help me to test it and improve it ;)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

julianwolfe

Re: Greetings and salutations

Postby julianwolfe » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am

Hey, great to hear your story, MadBeard. Hopefully, you can convert some local players! I'd be happy to look at your form-fillable character sheet, it sounds terrific!

I'm also playing Drakensang currently, though I like how the rules work I find the game a bit tedious, with very MMO-like quests.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks Julian.
Yeah, I agree with you that quest department in Drakensang could be better but IIRC it gets better later on. Hmmm maybe I should replay it. Off to find DVD... ;)

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:17 am

I started Drakensang but didn't finish it.
Has anyone played Drakensang 2? Is that good?

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:43 am

I played both Drakensang, The Dark Eye and River of Time.
For me personally Drakensang 1 (The dark Eye) is better but that may be because it was my first encounter with DSA/TDE rules and while playing River of Time I didn't have much free time so I didn't played regularly. And that can really blow game atmosphere away.
But I can say with certainty that if you liked first one, you'll also like second one :)
According to reviews, River of Time was better received than The Dark Eye.
Quote from wiki
Drakensang: The River of Time was received positively in the German press and generally praised as an improvement over the first title.It won the "Best RPG 2010" at the German Developer Awards in Essen, Germany.
However, this second game of the franchise did not fare well financially, and subsequently Radon Labs were declared bankrupt and acquired by Bigpoint Games. The Drakensang brand was then turned into an online browser game franchise, that no longer connects to The Dark Eye franchise.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

twincast

Postby twincast » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:44 pm

I think the changes from Drakensang to River of Time largely resemble those from Baldur's Gate to Shadows of Amn (keeping the respective starting framework in mind):
A smaller and less diverse array of potential party members, but with deeper characterization/interaction.
A few more character creation/progression options.
More varied quests with more instances of choices and consequences.
And assorted improvements/changes here and there.
(And the huge improvement of locations no longer idiotically closing off once you leave them after having finished the local main quest.)

Can't understand why it didn't sell. Sadly its (rushed) expansion ended up much smaller than planned because of this. Not to mention the lack of sequels (and proper TDE CRPGs in general ever since). :cry:

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”