Newcomer from India

Abhi5_5

Newcomer from India

Postby Abhi5_5 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:42 am

Hello everyone, I am Abhishek Ray from India. I got introduced to this really beautiful hobby of tabletop roleplaying game back in 2012. I have been collecting and playing several RPGs then like Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Dark Heresy 2e, Savage Worlds, FATE, D&D 5e, Shadow of the Demon Lord, etc. And now that I got my eyes on Dark Eye, I can't wait to start playing it.. I must say that even though Pathfinder/D&D 5e is really nice but I hate ACs and HP system it has. I just can't wrap my head around the concept that you have an Armour that makes others difficult to hit you and doesn't reduce damage. Though Pathfinder had DR type armor but it was clunky and unsatisfactory. I prefer less crunch in the game but Dark Eye seems worth investing my brains on their rules intensive way because the setting is just Awesome (I don't like the kitchen sink setting of Golarion that much). I guess with the successful kickstarter and so many players and gms out there I can have a chance of playing DSA very soon. Anyway, it is really nice to meet everyone in this official forum of Ulisses North America. Can't wait to get started!

julianwolfe

Re: Newcomer from India

Postby julianwolfe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:03 pm

From India! Fascinating!

What is the game scene like in India? Is there a good local tabletop crowd, or do you play most of your games online?

What part of India are you in? I have a couple friends from around Mumbai and that seems like a place that might develop a tabletop crowd.

Good to have you here with us.

Abhi5_5

Postby Abhi5_5 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Roleplaying is almost non-existent in India. The gamers here only know about video games in either PC or other consoles. The idea of sitting around a table and conversing to bring out the role of an imaginary character to live in an imaginary world run by a DM/GM will fry most of their brains. The board games are also considered childish things and though chess is accepted as a good game the only other board games that are available are those published by Funskool (Monopoly, Scotlandyard, etc). People are familiar with Magic the Gathering I guess, but hardly few peoples actively collect them or play them. Most people sink down in front of PC or their Console to get a quick 'audio-visual' enjoyment. People may have heard about D&D but what they know is most probably coming from Big Bang Theory. There are considerably less number of persons who has seen a different dice other than D6. Infact a D20 will freak out a person, as they will scream out unable to grasp the geometry considering how it will roll actually, like witnessing the truth behind some eldritch Cthulonian Artifact of Ryleh! But, that is the scenario where I live which is Kolkata. I do think that Mumbai and Delhi being less conservative might have peoples who have played RPGs. Whether they actually play regularly is a doubtful thing. I have been searching for more players and new recruits since 2012, trying to form a group. But still now am unsuccessful and online roleplaying or play-by-post is my only way. Thus there is no local gaming shops which sale RPGs.

So, it is like a Dark Age for gaming here, at least old school gaming. If there is any other player, I really wish to be proved wrong.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:54 am

Hi Abhi. Welcome. Hope that you'll be able to get a group to play.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Abhi5_5

Postby Abhi5_5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:18 am

Hey Man, thanks really. Hope to meet you in Aventuria. :D

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”