Angry Greetings To You All From The Land Of Enchantment

Schlake

Angry Greetings To You All From The Land Of Enchantment

Postby Schlake » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm angry because I wrote a long and well thought out introduction to myself. When I pressed "submit", I got a message that the website connection was reset, and I lost everything. That was yesterday. Today, I'm at a 1960's diner (1950s diners have good decor, this place is hideous),and I've had to log in multiple times just to get as far as posting this. It appears that the board code thinks IP addresses are static and will never change. So I might not be logged in anymore when I get to the end of typing this. So I'll be saving this to a text file before I try submitting it, because I already learned my lesson about the submit button here!

I'm here because back on December 1st I went to Paizo to look for the current release schedule of Pathfinder rulebooks. At Paizo, I saw and advertisement for this. I'm not much of a modern computer gamer, so I've never seen the computer games, and back when The Dark Eye last came to the U.S. it was still the glory days of D&D 3.0, and I never noticed it. But I noticed it this time. My gaming history is AD&D (real AD&D not 2nd edition), Cyberpunk 2020, Earthdawn 1st edition, D&D 3/3.5, and Pathfinder. I've delved into other games, such as G.U.R.P.S., Nobilis, Corporation, Mouse Guard, Paranoia, Paranoia XP, Call of Cthulhu, Land of Og, and a super hero game whose name I can't remember. But my big favorites are AD&D, Pathfinder, and Earthdawn, not in that order. For many years, Earthdawn 1st edition was a huge part of my life. Modern Earthdawn isn't as appealing to me. But the modern legends of Earthdawn tell of a far off place called Deutschland where Earthdawn 1st edition is still alive and well, and thriving. And from that, the concept of The Dark Eye really intrigued me.

Back in the AD&D days, we ran with World of Greyhawk. I loved World of Greyhawk. Then came Forgotten Realms. I was still in high school. I bought the boxed set, and read novels about Drizz't, but it never grabbed me. Now, so many years later, I can look back and I know exactly what was wrong with the Forgotten Realms. The World of Greyhawk was a believable place. It had verisimilitude (I learned that word from Land of Og). In the world of Greyhawk there was great magic, and powerful people, but they came across as exceptions and not the rule. In the World of Greyhawk, building a castle made sense. Castles are strong, defensive structures. Greyhawk had kingdoms that seemed like they could be real. There were trade goods that were traded, and a history of the world that included multiple human ethnic origins in a way that seemed real. The map seemed real, and it mostly was, it was a backwards map of Europe. Sure, some people had magic and could ignore the castle walls, but it never seemed like a day-to-day problem. Forgotten Realms, on the other hand, was the kind of world you might make if you had brain damage and were perishing in an opium den. It was just random stupid things stuck together without reason or sense. And there was no reason to build a castle there. Too much magic was there for anyone to ever feel like a castle was safe. Greyhawk was mostly made of peasants, but Forgotten Realms felt like it was hero central. Of course, now we have Golarion, but Golarion is the Renaissance, not the dark ages of old AD&D. They don't have castles as much. I could tolerate Golarion if I had too, but I'd prefer a dark ages setting where castles make sense.

And so we have Aventuria. Looking at all the areas and the vast diversity of the landmass makes it feel sort of cobbled together like Forgotten Realms did, but everything I can tell about the game tells me that castles have a purpose there. I can live with furry orcs and lizardmen sandwiching humans between them with elf-lettuce and juicy kobolds rounding out the Aventuria Hamburger. And I'm ecstatic that the incredible power dynamic of (A)D&D/Pathfinder doesn't exist. People are just people, and four street thugs in an alley are just as dangerous to a novice leaving home for the first time as they are to the greatest champion in the world if he is caught alone. Castles make total sense here. Magic is around, but magic items appear to be rare. But when one is found, it has history, and a purpose. It isn't just yet-another +1 sword to be sold in town because it is useless. As an aside, I just barely live with furry orcs. Furry orcs?

It was too late for me to join the kickstarters, but if more come I will probably throw money at them. I also picked up a couple of products from the older 4th edition release of The Dark Eye. I honestly wasn't impressed with the rules. Having learned how the rules are sold in Germany, I'm not as impressed with the 5th edition rules early, but from what I've read I suspect the better rules are on their way. I found a lot of interesting The Dark Eye products for sale online in Germany, but sadly none of the sites are set up to ship overseas. Hopefully those products will somehow migrate over here as well. I really like the idea, for instance, of using The Dark Eye LARP coins for fate points instead of poker chips. I also hope the wiki moves into English as well. As much as I feel like I can follow along with a lot of German mass-media, the wiki page is pretty much impenetrable to me.

I liked AD&D because the rules were fun. Almost everything was a special case, even if all the special cases looks similar. D&D 4th edition was a nightmare of boringness (as was Mouse Guard). Pathfinder got rid of all the special cases while still maintaining some complexity. Earthdawn was a game where being a spellcaster was an astoundingly complicated undertaking for a new player, but strangely so was being a warrior, and so we discouraged new players from trying either case, because the simple classes were complicated as well. But The Dark Eye is complicated in ways I have never seen before. I know I'm weird, but I like that in a game. Nobilis was a game so complicated that there was no chapter on character creation. To make a character you had to read the entire book and figure it out on your own from all the various pieces. And I'm disappointed in the Core Rules because I can jsut barely read German (I took two years of it in high school back in the 1980s), and I know there is more out there. But even so, most of the Core Rules still evade me, and I've had this book nearly a month now.

As for introductions, I'm 47, and I live in Socorro, New Mexico, in the United States. I hope first to convince someone to run this so I can play in it, but I will certainly strive to make a long campaign on the premise that a terrible evil is awakening and a lost magic item of immense power is the only way to stop it.

And when I tried to submit this, the connection was reset and I lost the posting. It's a good thing I saved an extra copy of it!
--Schlake

Schlake

Re: Angry Greetings To You All From The Land Of Enchantment

Postby Schlake » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:10 pm

And I had to log in again after getting it posted. The "remember me" button appears to do nothing!
--Schlake

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Our domain host seems to have gone through some DNS changes in the last week. I am having similar trouble myself. The sysadmin is looking into it.

Otherwise, welcome!

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:27 am

First: Welcome.
Second: Are you talking about the rules-wiki or the wiki-aventurica? Because the second, as a true wiki, you can edit yourself.
Third: Furry orks are the only real orks!
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:35 pm

The wiki I found was http://www.ulisses-regelwiki.de/.
--Schlake

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 am

Ah yes.

Well there is also the fan based wiki-aventuica: http://en.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Main_Page Unfortunately, the english part of it is horrendously empty, but everyone is invited to fill it!
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:26 pm

You could try to use google translate for webpages. The inofficial wiki-aventurica is for me (I'm a Gamemaster) essential to lead a session or to prepare an adventure or scenario.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Lancaster91

Postby Lancaster91 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:58 am

One important point id like to tell you: this sandwich you describe isnt as mixed as you think. Non human races are kinda rare to find. In other parts if aventuria they are openly discriminated, spit at, or killed, because this is normal in the "dark ages" setting that TDE presents. Yes there are lizardmen. But only really few of them and only in a few regions. Orcs dont tend to get out of their lands unless they start a war again. The only "normal" non-human races are elves and dwarves. TDE has much fantasy and magic in it. Theoretically. But being a magician is still a rare thing as there are around 6000 magic users (only humans, halfelves and dwarves counted) and around 2.000.000-3.000.000 humans. All other cultural (its hard to translate kulturschaffend to english) races together dont add up to this amount of people. TDE is a kind of fantasy thats... Rooted in the soil (?) Damn translation. Sounds wrong. Bodenständig. Jeah thats all i wanted to say and hi :) (and yes i know im lste with this answer)
German TDE player (since 2010) and Larper (since 2008)

In darkness and despair - the light prevails!
Against witchcraft and lies - the light prevails!
With fire and sword - the light prevails!
LUX TRIUMPHAT!

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”