Hello from California!

AmPm

Hello from California!

Postby AmPm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

New owner of the TDE 5e, very much looking to try it out with my group. I just wanted to say hi and thank the contributors for the content on these forums.

The character creation seems like the most daunting part off the game (we play Hackmaster so complex combat is a given) simply because there is little guidance.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: Hello from California!

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:41 am

Hallo and welcome from Germany :)

btw: what is Hackmaster?
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am

Hello and Welcome to Aventuria ;)

Character Creation is a bit of work, but its not that difficult. Choose a Race and use the rest of your AP to buy skills and abilities (and (dis)advantages). Thats basically it. The premade professions are good for first impressions what a regular character may look like, but the most important thing to know is that they are completely optional and dont give any advantage over freely buying your skillpoints. You can start with the profession and alter it freely, that is probably best for beginners in TDE with roleplay experience. (for example Take the hunter and "sell" his Bow skill and "buy" polearms or crossbow to create the kind of hunter you want)

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Hackmaster is a copy of AD&D 1st edition where everything is a joke. If you didn't play AD&D 1st the game might seem a little weird to you.
--Schlake

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:59 am

Schlake wrote:Hackmaster is a copy of AD&D 1st edition where everything is a joke. If you didn't play AD&D 1st the game might seem a little weird to you.

Thanks
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

AmPm

Postby AmPm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:45 pm

That would be true of Hackmaster 4e, 5e is a mostly serious game with a couple silly holdovers from 4e.

5e Hackmaster is really is own game system without any real similarity to 4e or D&D other than classes.

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”