Arivor's Doom - Thoughts?

lofwyrkp

Arivor's Doom - Thoughts?

Postby lofwyrkp » Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 am

Well I rushed out to my local store and gobbled up all the wonderful new releases.

Unfortunately when it came to Arivor's Doom, I felt bitterly disappointed.

I don't want to give any spoilers away, but after I read and run Revelations from Heaven, I was taken by the wonderful setting, the dark secrets hidden beneath, and the wonderful breath of fresh air that TDE brought to fantasy gaming

Arivor's Doom has none of that it's just a poorly cobbled together mishmash of an adventure, full of inconsistencies, contradictions, and downright implausible situations.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I missing something?

Eric USNA

Re: Arivor's Doom - Thoughts?

Postby Eric USNA » Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 am

I'm guessing this is going to be a flavor preference. I know, for instance, that a number of people did not care for Revelations from Heaven, but I'm glad you like it!

I personally really like Arivor's Doom, but that's because I think it's very unique among fantasy adventure supplements. I think it captures the disaster-movie feeling quite well, but I realize part of that is sort of a heightened reality that can come across as a little ridiculous if you're not into it.

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 pm

lofwyrkp wrote:Does anyone else feel the same or am I missing something?

It is interesting in so far as Arvior's Doom got actually rather good review scores on the German TDE review sites. While the adventure itself my need some work from the DM as a part of it is very modular and open the unusual scenario seems to be liked by a lot of reviewers.

It is one of those adventures that people remember tend to remember strongly.

Personally I have neither played or gamemastered it so far and don't know how it will work out at the gametable but it is one of the adventures that I look forward to DM as I haven't done something like this before and it will probable challenge my skills a fair bit.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I played an earlier test version that sadly differs surprisingly from the finished adventure. When i was talking to someone who played the released module, we had a hard time understanding each other :D it must have been heavily re-edited. And some parts of it definetely have been taken out and replaced shortly before print.
So i can only judge the early version, which is a damn good exciting adventure (and with the "the day after" supplement pdf its even a great setting for adventures following the module, like aventurian mordheim)

lofwyrkp

Postby lofwyrkp » Thu May 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I've been a gamer for far longer than I care to remember, so I'm used to having to put some work in as a GM to help fit a published scenario to the needs/wants of a gaming group, that's not my problem with Arivor's Doom.

I was looking forward to a good disaster movie, with the characters working hard to stay alive, facing them with challenges that stretch the idea of being a hero.

However in this scenario we have a central NPC who leads one of the major churches, who on page 49 has his efforts so far detailed. My problem is that nothing in the boxed text happened earlier in the scenario. Maybe when some of the adventure got replaced this got missed and it refers to events that don't happen?

And as for the relief events, they're unfortunately laughable. In Save our Scrolls either the party runs around a lot or it doesn't. There is no sense of drama.

At no point do the characters find a rallying point, where the rulers of the city try to preserve what's left, instead they just run around from one poorly thought out scene to another.

I really wanted to like this product esp after how good I found the first one.

I can, with a lot of hard work turn this into something playable.

Lancaster91

Postby Lancaster91 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 am

I know its a bit late but here are a few thoughts from germany: the adventure was great to play and great to be the GM. Not because the characters can do much. Its because they cant. I played and used the version where the characters dont know anything about the coming doom (there is a possible start where you work with some scientist to rescue and warn people, i dont like that). The theatre in arivor is a historical place (knights of the arivor theatre were founded there/ gods how do you translate it Oo sounds awful in english) and thus the whole adventure is full of things that were part of aventuria for a long time. The guy you described, is not the leader of the church he is like a cardinal. And currently these cardinals are dyling like flies. The whole church or rondra gets a fistful of problems. The reason for the whole "doom" is great and part of the current metaplot. I think thats the biggest pro of this adventure. It has so much in it thats connected to aventurian history and the metaplot. Thats what makes it great. But even if you dont know so much about this, its still good because you arent a hero who gets to hunt down the evil black-magician (now i understand the dificulties ulisses is having with the translation... ), but you are any citizen who has a reason to be there and tries to get out of it alive. Thats what defines TDE. Youre not a hero because youre a player character. Youre a hero for what you do and sometimes you arenr, because sometimes a you want is to survive shit. (Sry for the bad english, its been a while that i wrote more than "gg wp" xD)
German TDE player (since 2010) and Larper (since 2008)

In darkness and despair - the light prevails!
Against witchcraft and lies - the light prevails!
With fire and sword - the light prevails!
LUX TRIUMPHAT!

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”