Elven Tradition spell - Hawk Eye

Xathos

Elven Tradition spell - Hawk Eye

Postby Xathos » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm

I used this spell in combat today with my Elven mage. He was firing his longbow and I wanted to test the spell out. Once I studied it in depth, I realized that this is a terrible spell. If I understand it correctly, it only allows the caster to touch themselves or another so that their next shot and only their next shot has a bonus on their next ranged attack.

That's it. One shot. You spend four AE for one whole shot. In extended combat that's going to be pretty expensive. Unless you can modify this so it gives multiple shots the bonus, it's just not worth having.

Any thoughts on this?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: Elven Tradition spell - Hawk Eye

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:09 am

In many years of playing TDE I can say... it is worthwhile. I admit I don't know the TDE5 rules. But in TDE4.1 an enemy don't have much of life. A good shot and the opponent can already be out of the fight. As the damage increases, more and more wounds are produced which make the probes significantly more difficult. With a higher ranged combat value, you can make your shot more difficult to increase your damage or you can hit smaller targets from a greater distance. Yeah, it's only for one shot, but this shot can be important.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am

I agree with Morgoth (the person not the fallen Valor :shock: ) This spell is for hard shots or long range, it was not designed to be a general buff in combat. I could see an elf using this spell to reduced penalties on a tricky shot like aiming at a specific body part or at a small object or a very far away target. In general combat your skill with the bow should prove to be sufficient for non penalized shots, and if it is not then you should be focusing on it before relying on a magic spell for additional help.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:24 am

In 4th Edition that spell had a variant that allowed multiple shots at the same target being enhanced by the spell. Killed a mighty Sea-serpent with it when it attacked our ship. It does also work with shipbourne Siege weapons ;-)

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 am

Yes, that's correct. But you only have multiple shots during the duration of the spell. That was in TDE4.1 only ZfW in fight rounds (ZfW = your value in this spell)
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 am

Times 2 if cast in the elven tradition. Possibly i also modified the duration. I think I only had a few (1-2) combat turns of use left when the sea serpent died.

Xathos

Postby Xathos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm

I can see its use for one shot, but it really doesn't give that much of a bonus. There should be a spell that works as an actual buff to ranged combat that fits in the Elven tradition. It should provide a bonus to ranged attacks for several shots, not one. The more I go through the spells, the more I see that magic system in the game appears to be a bare bones approach. It's like this is the bare minimum and meant to be a placeholder until additional sourcebooks come out.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Xathos wrote:There should be a spell that works as an actual buff to ranged combat that fits in the Elven tradition. It should provide a bonus to ranged attacks for several shots, not one. The more I go through the spells, the more I see that magic system in the game appears to be a bare bones approach. It's like this is the bare minimum and meant to be a placeholder until additional sourcebooks come out.

There will be more Elven arrow enhancing spells in upcoming books. Also there will be spell extensions for the Hawk Eye spell in the Aventuria Magic I book that increase its performance . Although pure bonus spell are generally rare. Most of the enhancements will allow you to add conditions in additions to damage on hits. Lets say for example a Ice Arrow spell that adds one paralysis level on every hit.

I can try my hand at a short translation of one version if you want one for your game. The extensions for the Hawk eye Spell you can look up if you go with goggle translate in the German rules wikipedia. The element enhancement spells of AM II aren't yet in it.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am

We can be pretty sure that one of the 3 spell enhancements will give you more shots and bonuses
there are longlasting elven spells that buff attack and defense in Magic2 as well.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”