Combat Seminar of Andergast style

Morgoth

Combat Seminar of Andergast style

Postby Morgoth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

So the Warring Kingdoms book & Aventuria Magic I does not, AFAIK have rules for the unique magic style for the Andergastian Combat Seminar; any chance we may see it detailed in a rulebook down the line? Is it perchance in Aventuria Magic II??

Shinxirus

Re: Combat Seminar of Andergast style

Postby Shinxirus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:57 am

It is indeed in AM II. There is also a small pdf document (in german) which contains it.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks Shinrux, in fact now that I remember it Bosper also mentioned it also a couple months back. If the small pdf is available for free any chance of sharing it here? (if you are talking about the Warring Kingdoms Bonus Archtypes pdf though, that does not have it)

Another thing: The Warring Kingdoms mentions Andergastian Mages are trained in Stag Catchers: Now could any PC go with a sword instead of a stag catcher, or would that be against the law? Also, if an Andergastian Mage travels outside of Andergast, would he be arrested for carrying a stag catcher?

How strict are the laws governing mages and martial armaments anyway? I mean, its not easy to determine if a mage is a mage and not just some person wearing robes right?

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I meant the file "Glaube, Macht und Heldenmut" which has been published in german for a couple of bucks on the ulisses webstore.

As for swords, when I and others say that mages may not carry swords, we're using an abbreviated form of the regulations regarding arms. I'll try to translate the full text from the last edition:

According to the last issue (1022BF) of the Codex Albyricus, specifically Folio I, licensed mages may only bear "melee weapons, whether with a grip or affixed to a pole, up to a total lenght of three spann [an aventurian unit of lenght, not sure how to translate that] (...) with exception of the ceremonial epee, which may not have a total lenght of more than four spann total and may not be heavier than one stone (...); impact weapons with a weight of up to two and a half stones (...)ranged weapons with a bow length of below two and a half spann, the modern torsion weapons [the horasian balestrina and its variants] are however forbidden[...]

Now, a stag catcher (which by the way existed in the real world, used to deliver the coup de grace while hunting) has an average lenght of 60 halffingers. An aventurian spann is defined as ten fingers, or 20 halffingers. Thus, the allowed length for a bladed melee weapon according to the CA lies at 60 hf, meaning the stag catcher lies just barely within the allowed limits.

As for the laws, the implementation depends on the local ruler and the mage in question. Note however, that the CA demands that guild mages must make themselves recognizable as such. Then again, you can of course disguise yourself, but most guild mages simply have no need to do so (not to mention that that would be against the ideals of the white guild, for example).

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”