How many ranks to be able to teach spells?

thelordoftherats

How many ranks to be able to teach spells?

Postby thelordoftherats » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm

How many ranks of a spell do you have to have to be able to teach it to another? What qualifies a mage to be able to teach students?

Bosper

Re: How many ranks to be able to teach spells?

Postby Bosper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am

There is no hard rule for this. To be counted as expert in a spell you would have the spell on 16, thats what you need to further modify it to create a new base spell (e.g. an ignifaxius with a higher base range). So i would say a teacher should be about rank 12-14. Also needed is a high rank in magic lore i'd say 12-14 again. Since 16 again is what you need for the expert level

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 am

While that might be a good rule of thumb for a teacher at a Magic Academy, you should be able to teach way earlier. As your grasp of that spell is not too great it would probably take longer than with a dedicated and highly skilled teacher.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I wouldnt go way below 12. 10 is where spells start to enfold their core effects. Below that shouldnt be enough to teach

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 am

That would prevent the group of heroes sitting at a campsite teaching each other spells, which used to be a common occurrence in previous editions, so I don’t see a good argument for restricting it now. As long as the teacher has more ranks than the pupil it should be fine. I don’t see a benefit to gameplay to restrict it more that that.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 am

From what I recall, previous editions had a skill Teaching where you'd need a passable rank (like 7?) before you could teach anything, and higher ranks for higher skill levels. The teaching skill would also determine how long the learning would take - and that could be a matter of months when trying to learn a spell on the side while adventuring.

Perhaps your group had a house rule or chose to ignore the learning times and teaching skills? I don't think teaching player to player was ever quite as easy as your comment makes it sound.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 am

You had to have a teaching skill of 3 to start teaching, at 7 you could already save your pupil AP. Considering that 5th edition is supposed to be easier than 4th, it should be less restricting.
Also remember that back then the AP progression of the first few ranks was different. You could easily get the first 3-5 ranks for less AP than gaining rank 10 would cost you. Less than a full AP in 5th edition for A category. Therefore every group I played in that used the optional teaching rules in Wege des Schwerts had quickly every hero at teaching 3 or higher.
I know a lot of groups did use those rules because they complicated the game quite a bit. That’s why I am happy that 5th/TDE doesn’t have them and that’s why I don’t see a gain in excessive restrictions.
Gameplay will limit this on its own as having a lot of spells at low ranks tends to be a waste of AP in TDE.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 am

bluedragon7 wrote:That would prevent the group of heroes sitting at a campsite teaching each other spells, which used to be a common occurrence in previous editions, so I don’t see a good argument for restricting it now. As long as the teacher has more ranks than the pupil it should be fine. I don’t see a benefit to gameplay to restrict it more that that.

The mechanics should be easier, not the tasks of the game.
And everything below 10 isnt really considered good in 5th, a spellcaster will have most of his core spells on 10 from start, so this will prevent nobody from nothing. But in the end its everyones decision how to do it until there is an official solution. If you dont care to learn math from a 1st grader, than its ok. I prefer it when a teacher understands the main parts of his subject.
Every apprentice mage exchanging his spell with everyone else just doesnt fit the tone of the game world in my opinion. Spells would be way more well known around the continent.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 am

While it is true that the mechanics of the game force you to have spells at 10+ to have a chance for meaningful effects I don’t see why that also should be the basis for teaching someone the activation (rank 0!) of a spell. You should be able to teach someone a spell you know, even if it is not your best known spell.
As long as you are able to cast that spell to some effect you should be able to show someone the very first step in learning it. If you want to put a number to it, say rank 4 and have a focus rule to increase the time spent in teaching for ranks below 12

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm

The rules for teaching will be coming quite soon as far as i know. And it seems that the only prerequesite is (for skills) to have more ranks than your pupil.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”