Inured to encumbrance

Alenvire

Inured to encumbrance

Postby Alenvire » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 pm

PG 248.

It states that if you are wearing plate mail it drops the encumbrance level by 2 steps to that of a cloth gambeson. However, it also says that it lowers ENC, MOV, and INI. Which seems like encumbrance and mov/ini drop by 2 steps. Does that mean that you would only have encumbrance 1 and a penalty of -1 to MOV and INI?

My confusion came with the 2 steps thing. To me, it would lower platemail to that of chainmail. However it clearly says the cloth gambeson. So it must mean it lowers the encumbrance level by 2. And I assume the MOV INI penalty by 2.

So, would that mean if you are wearing scale mail with inured encumbrance 2 you would have a encumbrance of 0 and a MOV INI penalty of 1?

Thanks all for listening to me. I am sure it feels obvious to some out there but I wanted to make sure. :lol:

Alenvire

Re: Inured to encumbrance

Postby Alenvire » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:53 pm

One addition to the above post, did anyone see a way to increase your carry weight past the strength max of 15 X4 that a experienced character can start with?

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:03 am

My understanding is that each level gives you -1 of the condition Encumbrance. Some armor gives you not just encumbrance but an additional penalty, I would keep that unless your encumbrance is reduced to below 0.

So, would that mean if you are wearing scale mail with inured encumbrance 2 you would have a encumbrance of 0 and a MOV INI penalty of 1?

Yes, that's what I would do. If you wore chain mail or below, you'd have no penalties with inured II.

Regarding carry capacity, get a horse or leave your stuff somewhere.
As GM I don't see a reason why a character constantly lugging around more than 60 lbs of stuff could do so without any effect on their stamina and physical/combat performance.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:45 am

The reason I asked is I was curious if you could do a great shield and plate with a weapon some way and not suffer more encumbrance on top of what the armor already gives.

Thanks for the reply!

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 am

I see , I didn't think of that. Yes, that doesn't work out so well in the rules.

Personally I would allow that for in-combat use without further penalties, but would ask the character to have some means of transport for his armor otherwise. Of course that means they'll need some time to prepare for battle and put on their plate, while perhaps wearing leather or some other lighter armor during travel.

If they insisted on wearing heavy plate all day while doing anything exhausting I would probably apply some penalties due to exhaustion.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:38 am

@Alenvire

Every level of Inured to encumbrance allows to move two steps upward on the headers Encumbrance and Additional Penalty on the table 237.

So if you have Inured to encumbrance I and wear a Scale Mail instead of PRO 5, Encumbrance 2 and -3 to MOV and INI you would
use the Leather Armor entry (two steps upwards) and have now PRO 5 (stays the same), Encumbrance 1 and only -2 to MOV and INI

With Inured to encumbrance II you would move four steps instead of two and would now use the Heavy clothing entry.
So you now have PRO 5, Encumbrance 0 and only -1 to MOVE and INI.

Basically with Inured to encumbrance II you can wear a Chain Mail without any penalties and a Plate Armor with only 1 Encumbrance and -1 to MOV and INI
A highly important ability to have that highlights the differences between a trained professional combatant in Aventuria and a untrained one.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:47 am

I don't think that's correct. Page 237 has the table of armor types. Each row is one type of armor (left-most column). There is nothing cumulative here.

The encumbrance table is on page 32. Also not cumulative, same as all the other conditions.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:26 am

Yup its not cumulative. I have seen that missunderstanding before and couldnt quite understand why the MOV Ini should be cumulative but PROT and ENC are not perceived as such. But yeah there was an official statement that it indeed is not cumulative. Some Armors give -1 to MOV and INI, some dont.
Inured to encumbrance just lets you use everything but the PROT from the armor two steps above. Plate is like chain, Leather is like heavy clothing, a gambeson is dealt with as normal clothes.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Ah shit did some reading and you are both correct. My mistake. I missed that the condition encumbered already gives you penalties to MOV and INI.

I am getting old.... :lol:

But when I think about it. Wouldn't my wrong reading of the rules reading arrive at the same end results ? I read
encumbrance only as penalty for Attack and Parry but when you treat the additional penalties as cumulative the end result is the same.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:26 pm

The problem came from the advantage inured to encumbrance itself. They broke it down, which when it said it reduced the ini and mov penalty it made me believe the penalties were cumulative. Otherwise how would level 2 work on reducing it. If they had just said reduces encumbrance by 1 or 2 and not listed the penalties of what encumbrance gives I never would have questioned. I understand it now that I have written it down and seen the responses.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”