Nonlethal damage

MadBeard

Nonlethal damage

Postby MadBeard » Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 am

What are the rules if someone wants to use nonlethal damage like in D&D? Does TDE system differentiate lethal from nonlethal damage?

For example, if my players would want to knock unconscious cultists in Revelations from Heaven adventure.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

simonb1

Re: Nonlethal damage

Postby simonb1 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I would use the rules from Inns and Taverns, which uses brawling damage as real damage, but uses a roll to determine know much lethal damage they take. This does not allow you to ignore being unconscious, but cannot kill.

Simon

Fen

Postby Fen » Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 am

It's not quite the same, but most creatures lose consciousness at 5 LP and below, as they gain Pain IV.

I don't think there's anything else in the core rules, except for spells, for rendering enemies unconscious. If you wanted to homebrew something, perhaps work out some way of allowing your players to inflict levels of stupor on enemies.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Sat May 27, 2017 7:15 am

I'll check optional brawling rules in Inns and taverns but I was more thinking if there are official rules for nonlethal damage in some rulebook like Compendium or something.
I will probably house rule something if the need arise.
Thanks guys for answering.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

they got rid of nonlethal damage. a fist or a branch, its the same kind of damage.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue May 30, 2017 3:47 pm

OK then. Thanks Bosper.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

I personally think that this is a great idea,
Anyone who tries to knock someone out in a fighting situation with a say a baseball bat or in Aventuria say a cudgel or staff would risk fracturing skulls and the like.

Worse still where in other systems you can decide to use the massive damage of say a double handed war hammer in a non lethal fashion.

If you fight with weapons, then you risk that you end up killing people.

If anything the Dark Eye is still (due to its history) too lenient when it comes to damage. After all it's still impossible to kill anyone really with one blow, but then PCs would die too often.

bern

Postby bern » Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 am

In the older editions every character had an endurance (ED) value which was similar to LP. In a fistfight you would get ED damage and half of it as regular damage. Once your ED hit 0 you were knocked out but most likely still alive.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Lambert wrote:I personally think that this is a great idea,
Anyone who tries to knock someone out in a fighting situation with a say a baseball bat or in Aventuria say a cudgel or staff would risk fracturing skulls and the like.

Worse still where in other systems you can decide to use the massive damage of say a double handed war hammer in a non lethal fashion.

If you fight with weapons, then you risk that you end up killing people.

I used to use non lethal dmg rules from AD&D 2ed. From some splat book, don't remember which. If trying to do nonlethal dmg, half dmg is lethal half is nonlethal. Something like that. It was long time ago :)

Btw. how do you rule if a PC for instance, is trying to knock out some guard or someone? It's no problem for me to houserule depending on situation, but I'm curious how others rule it.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:42 pm

bern wrote:In the older editions every character had an endurance (ED) value which was similar to LP. In a fistfight you would get ED damage and half of it as regular damage. Once your ED hit 0 you were knocked out but most likely still alive.

Oh yeah. I forgot about ED :)

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”