Newbie to Dark Eye questions on Character Creation

Tenushath

Newbie to Dark Eye questions on Character Creation

Postby Tenushath » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Okay, so here goes with my first Dark Eye Character Creation -

I want to create a mage, he's guildless - taught by a wealthy private tutor. He's Horatian and a minor noble.

So he's experienced and starts with 1100 AP. He's human so he raise his SGC max to 15. He buys the one stat at 15 for 555 AP and ends up with:
COU 12
SGC 15
INT 14
CHA 12
DEX 12
AGI 12
CON 12
STR 11

He buys the Horasian Culture package for 27 AP. And he buys the Guildless Mage Profession for 237. Does he also have to buy Spellcaster for 25 AP?

For advantages he gets Increased Arcane Power II - 12 AP, Improved Arcane Regeneration I - 10 AP, Inner Clock - 2 AP, Noble I - 5 AP, Rich V - 5 AP.
For disadvantages he gets Bound to Artifact (Mage's Staff) - 10 AP, Negative Trait (Curiosity) - 5 AP, Obligation I(Tutor) - 20 AP, Personality Flaw (Arrogance) - 10 AP, True Name - 10 AP, Bad Habit (Third Person) - 2 AP.

So he has LP 29, AE 37, SPI 1, TOU 0, DOD 6, INI 12, and MOV 8

So it looks like his skills are as follows - this is where I get confused

Dancing 1
Empathy4, Etiquette 4, Seduction 1, Streetwise 2, Willpower 4
Orienting 3
Geography 5, History 4, Law 2, Magical Lore 5, Math 6, Mechanics 1, Myths & Legends 5, Religions 4, Sphere Lore 3
Alchemy 4, Commerce 1, Sailing 1

Languages and Scripts
Garethi, Bosparano, Zhayad, Asdharia
Kusliker Signs, Imperial Signs, Zhayad Signs

He has Polarms CTR 10 so his Mage's Staff, medium gets him an AT/PA of 11/6

He starts with 1,500 Silverthalers

Has the following Magical Special Abilities:
Binding of the Staff
Power Focus - 30 AP
Eternal Flame - 10 AP
Sword of Flame - 35 AP

Cantrip - Firefinger

For spells does he get all the spells listed at the ranks indicated for his profession?

I think he's spent 896 AP of his 1100 but I pretty confused at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tenushath

Silverthorne

Re: Newbie to Dark Eye questions on Character Creation

Postby Silverthorne » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Tenushath wrote:Okay, so here goes with my first Dark Eye Character Creation -

I want to create a mage, he's guildless - taught by a wealthy private tutor. He's Horatian and a minor noble.

So he's experienced and starts with 1100 AP. He's human so he raise his SGC max to 15. He buys the one stat at 15 for 555 AP and ends up with:
COU 12
SGC 15
INT 14
CHA 12
DEX 12
AGI 12
CON 12
STR 11

He buys the Horasian Culture package for 27 AP. And he buys the Guildless Mage Profession for 237. Does he also have to buy Spellcaster for 25 AP?

For advantages he gets Increased Arcane Power II - 12 AP, Improved Arcane Regeneration I - 10 AP, Inner Clock - 2 AP, Noble I - 5 AP, Rich V - 5 AP.
For disadvantages he gets Bound to Artifact (Mage's Staff) - 10 AP, Negative Trait (Curiosity) - 5 AP, Obligation I(Tutor) - 20 AP, Personality Flaw (Arrogance) - 10 AP, True Name - 10 AP, Bad Habit (Third Person) - 2 AP.

So he has LP 29, AE 37, SPI 1, TOU 0, DOD 6, INI 12, and MOV 8

This all looks good to me.

Tenushath wrote:So it looks like his skills are as follows - this is where I get confused

Dancing 1
Empathy4, Etiquette 4, Seduction 1, Streetwise 2, Willpower 4
Orienting 3
Geography 5, History 4, Law 2, Magical Lore 5, Math 6, Mechanics 1, Myths & Legends 5, Religions 4, Sphere Lore 3
Alchemy 4, Commerce 1, Sailing 1

These are the skills from his base packages. You will use points from what ever is left over to boost them up.

Tenushath wrote:Languages and Scripts
Garethi, Bosparano, Zhayad, Asdharia
Kusliker Signs, Imperial Signs, Zhayad Signs

He has Polarms CTR 10 so his Mage's Staff, medium gets him an AT/PA of 11/6

He starts with 1,500 Silverthalers

Has the following Magical Special Abilities:
Binding of the Staff
Power Focus - 30 AP
Eternal Flame - 10 AP
Sword of Flame - 35 AP

Cantrip - Firefinger

For spells does he get all the spells listed at the ranks indicated for his profession?

I think he's spent 896 AP of his 1100 but I pretty confused at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tenushath

All the packages have skills and abilities that you either get, are recommended, or should avoid. Page 50 gives you the list of prices for upgrading skills, and other things, spells included. If you have a skill already, you just upgrade it, if you want it but do not have it, you spend points to activate it, and then upgrade it.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:25 am

Correct me if I am wrong. 750 silverthallers starting. plus rich 5 is 1250 silverthallers right? so 2000 starting?

Prerequisites. Those you have to pay for separately. Or in addition to your profession package. Yes, that includes spellcaster and tradition guild mage -_- Which is so painful. But, that is 180 more you need to spend. leaving you with 24 AP to spend. Also, anything that is not a prereq, or suggested, he gets at the listed amount. Be careful on things like the spells when it says any one cantrip for example

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Okay, so I think I figured it all out. Here's a link to my pdf with all calculations done. If you see any mistakes please let me know. I think I've got a grasp on what costs what now. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qz1018buy04r ... i.pdf?dl=0

Best,
Tenushath

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:52 pm

How do you get to 1169 AP spent with 1100 AP ü 57 AP in disadvantages?

Also you will probably suffer a lot with so little points in your skills. No Body Control and no Self Control is a damn tough thing to play. In the Gammatest of the rules that lead to a lot of burned-to-death characters. And a maximum quality of 2 in your "best" skills is far from useful. But i know that mages are expensive and hard to built. As far as correctly build goes the only issue i see is the AP amount which might lie in the nature of the pdf calculations

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:32 pm

I think the 12 point different his from the credit for 12 AP in languages and literacy.

As for the max QL of 2, I built this character more off a concept than a min/max or survivability design. He's a fragile spellcaster.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 pm

There is no real strengths. Its a very average kinda character. But, I have always been one to back someone who wanted to follow a concept. Though, I may suggest, maybe focusing on one type of spell. For example paralysis. Get it up to 8 if not 10 and add aptitude to it. Have it be your characters thing or whatever. Just to give him one thing that is powerful to back him with.

Also, where did you get that character sheet? I want one! lol

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 pm

I adapted the Character Sheet from the one in the Core Rules. I recreated it in Pages on my Mac. I can save a blank PDF but it isn't form fillable yet. The export to Word is a bit wonky since it is a page layout.

So maybe I should drop the staff enchants and the training in sword on buff up spells and maybe a skill or 2?

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:10 pm

If you want the sword staff combo. then you should up your swords to 12. That spell uses sword skill. Remember you get 6 for free so only have to buy a few levels

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:35 pm

I get 6 Sword CTR for free? How did I miss that?

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”