A Variety Of Questions

User avatar
Schlake
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 pm
Location: Socorro, NM, USA
Contact:

A Variety Of Questions

Postby Schlake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 am

I don't have my book handy, but one question is about Kusliker runes. The table makes me think that Kusliker comes in the old kind, the normal kind, and a new kind. Are those all different kinds we have to learn separately? Do we have to learn the runes for each language that uses those runes separately, or is it only once for each kind of runes?

In the skills section each skill has an A/B/C/D for difficulty cost, but I don't see anywhere in character creation or the skills section about what costs those are. I did find it way in the back of the book (hooray for an index). Is that it, or am I missing something?

I really wanted egg-born for this witch I'm trying to make, because that just sounded cool. That painfully required me to spend 45 points in advantages to be egg-born because I had to buy two levels of good looking that I really had no use for (I don't mind the ageless thing). Even though I am a cat witch, and presumably out at night at lot, the profession package doesn't grant me access to the advantage for seeing better in the dark (I forget the name). I seem to remember that it said race or profession as a prerequisite, but conceptually it does seem like a racial thing over a professional thing. Are there professions that grant access to that advantage? Also, since I'm going to be egg born, does that leave me without a belly button?
--Schlake

wizardeddas
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby wizardeddas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:18 am

I can answer your second question.

The skill cost chart is in the character creation second, Page 50.

User avatar
Schlake
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 pm
Location: Socorro, NM, USA
Contact:

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Schlake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am

wizardeddas wrote:I can answer your second question.

The skill cost chart is in the character creation second, Page 50.


It is there! Thanks.
--Schlake

User avatar
Tenushath
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 am

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Tenushath » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:59 pm

As far as Darksight goes for your witch, assuming you want to stay within the bounds of the game world as laid out in the rules, it is very difficult for humans to start with it. Your cat witch has a leg up because one of the first tricks your familiar should purchase is Animal Senses which will allow you to gain Darksight for 5 minutes per AE your cat spends. So assuming you want to use your familiar for nothing else that's 75 minutes!

Then you've got Cat Eyes which is a pretty cheap spell...2 AE to cast plus 1 AE per/10 minutes...

Then you can do what I have for my witch...created an enchanted item with Cat Eyes on it for those times you don't want to or can't spend AE on the spell.

Your point about the profession option relates to things like Wyldrunner. They gain access to Darksight II.

Now, as for the Kusliker Signs...You only need to purchase it once. Kusliker Signs are related to several other scripts and are used for several spoken languages but you only need to buy it once.

Hope this helps!

~Tenu

User avatar
Schlake
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 pm
Location: Socorro, NM, USA
Contact:

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Schlake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Tenushath wrote:Now, as for the Kusliker Signs...You only need to purchase it once. Kusliker Signs are related to several other scripts and are used for several spoken languages but you only need to buy it once.

Hope this helps!

~Tenu


Core Rules page 217m lower right corner, "The hero knows how to read and write the script of one specific language. Literacy must be purchased separately for each language."

I suspect I need to learn the scripts multiple times.
--Schlake

User avatar
Tenushath
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 am

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Tenushath » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:00 pm

I'd say that may be true in certain cases but take a look at Thallian on p. 67. He speaks Garethi, Bosparano, and Isdira. He has literacy for Isdira Signs and Kusliker Signs. If anyone would have the required literacy for Bosporano, if it was a different form of Kusliker Signs, it would be a mage or a Blessed One. The rule is ambiguous but if you look through the sample characters there's no reference to someone buying Kusliker Signs twice. It is a minor point issue and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

User avatar
Schlake
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 pm
Location: Socorro, NM, USA
Contact:

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Schlake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Tenushath wrote:I'd say that may be true in certain cases but take a look at Thallian on p. 67. He speaks Garethi, Bosparano, and Isdira. He has literacy for Isdira Signs and Kusliker Signs. If anyone would have the required literacy for Bosporano, if it was a different form of Kusliker Signs, it would be a mage or a Blessed One. The rule is ambiguous but if you look through the sample characters there's no reference to someone buying Kusliker Signs twice. It is a minor point issue and I wouldn't worry about it too much.


I'm not sure I can trust anything in the rules. There are so many mistakes everywhere I turn. Tonight in character creation we were trying to figure out how to calculate toughness. Some of the official character sheets say cou and con, some say con and con. At least the Almanac is mostly comprised of only spelling errors.
--Schlake

User avatar
Tenushath
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 am

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Tenushath » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Toughness is Base from Race + ((CON + CON + STR)/6) plus bonuses/penalties from advantages and disadvantages. If you have the physical book you may need to get the errata. They've fixed some of the problems from the first printing. I always go to the German source materials for clarifications as they are regularly updated. p57 in German or English-language core rulrebook.

~Tenu

User avatar
MadBeard
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Alvona, Croatia

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby MadBeard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 am

Schlake wrote:In the skills section each skill has an A/B/C/D for difficulty cost, but I don't see anywhere in character creation or the skills section about what costs those are. I did find it way in the back of the book (hooray for an index). Is that it, or am I missing something?


There is also another place in book to find that: pages 350-352 which is even better reference, at least for me, because have everything in one place.

Schlake wrote:I'm not sure I can trust anything in the rules. There are so many mistakes everywhere I turn. Tonight in character creation we were trying to figure out how to calculate toughness. Some of the official character sheets say cou and con, some say con and con. At least the Almanac is mostly comprised of only spelling errors.


Download latest version of pdf fillable sheet. I corrected those mistakes and should be ok now.
If you are not sure if there is error for something in core book, try look at this thread. Many errors are already reported. And one hint: use forum search function in that thread. It will be easier to find stuff you want to know.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: A Variety Of Questions

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 am

MadBeard wrote:
Schlake wrote:In the skills section each skill has an A/B/C/D for difficulty cost, but I don't see anywhere in character creation or the skills section about what costs those are. I did find it way in the back of the book (hooray for an index). Is that it, or am I missing something?


There is also another place in book to find that: pages 350-352 which is even better reference, at least for me, because have everything in one place.




ALERT ALERT ALERT

page 350pp is about increasing your stats with AP earned in play. Its not about character creation. There are only very few differences, but you have to be cautious. i had a player feeling clever by just increasing his Lifepoints instead of taking the "more expensive" advantage. Which is not allowed at creation, but can be found on those pages


Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests