Creating Healing Potions

thelordoftherats

Creating Healing Potions

Postby thelordoftherats » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm

How many ingredients do you need to create a healing potion? I see what ingredients are listed but do you need 1, 2, or 3 of them to make the potion?

MadBeard

Re: Creating Healing Potions

Postby MadBeard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I don't think that there is detailed recipe out there so if you are GM define recipe for yourself, or if you are player, talk with your GM about that.
Experienced German players might have better answer, but this is all I got at the moment :)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Of course there is a receip (at least in German rulebooks, in this case "Wege der Alchemie")

you need:

• 1 Tail of any Lizard
  • 1 Skrupel of Gold (sorry I don't know a translation for Skrupel... it is only a bit)
  • 1 Root of Argan (in German Arganwurzel)
  • 1 bundle of Whirlweed
  • 10 Unzen Morning Dew
Last edited by Morgoth Feuerklinge on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Oh, very nice. Wasn't aware of that.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 pm

This is my houserule until detailed rules exist.
I require 1 material plus 1 per maximum QL.
So if you can make a QL 4 potion and you want to make a QL 4 potion you need 5 materials. If you roll badly and get a lower QL than what you wanted then the materials are still used up.
This makes the rarer materials necessary for more powerful potions as you use up all the common ingredients on the lower QLs.

devilaether

Postby devilaether » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 pm

For those interested - the English word for "Skrupel" is...scruple. It's nearly 1.30g of some substance (indeed, quite tiny): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scruple_(unit).

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am

Thank you. That's interesting for me

To the houserule: You can do that of course. I personally would not find it good. If you do not have any ingredient for black powder, then it will not work. The quality of the potion is actually determined by the quality of the ingredients, equipment and the right mixing.

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 am

OK then show me the recipes for all the potions. The assumption is that the potion creator finds the ingredients to make it. Otherwise you are claiming that every potion needs every ingredient mentioned which would be preposterous. Magic is NOT science. In science a formula will ALWAYS create the same result. Magic by its very nature can sometimes be more or less powerful or with some systems even random. Trying to apply real life scientific principles to a alchemical system that is enhancable by magic is a bad idea.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 am

I would also say that this is ONE recipe for a healing potion.
I reckon they are brewed everywhere in Aventuria and people will have found out what of their local ingredients works.

I like the recipe in question it has the healing plant and a bunch of stuff to make it interesting and not trivial to make, but I reckon a Thorwal Healing Potion recipe would differ quite wildly from one used by the Mohas in the jungle.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 am

Lambert wrote:..., but I reckon a Thorwal Healing Potion recipe would differ quite wildly from one used by the Mohas in the jungle.

A very interesting thought. It is fact that in the "Wege der Alchemie" is a recipe for each potion out there. Guildmagic is much more scientific in Aventuria than you might think. Academies teach the common magic and rituals. And a school subject is alchemy. As the academies exchange its knowledge (or by spionage) the recipes are very much the same. It is different with witches, druids or tribal wizards. Its magic is more wild and natural. There I can very well imagine that his healing pot is put together differently.

A healing potion is therefore so seldom and expensive because not everyone can make it. You need an alchemist. And if you only need one ingredient it would be too easy to reproduce it.

Please correct me if I make mistakes in my English. I'm sure this sentences sounds very wrong :oops:

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”