Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

MadBeard

Re: Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

Postby MadBeard » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 am

Probably because for attribute check you roll 1d20, and for skills 3d20, and modifier modifies all d20 in check
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Warden wrote:Why are attribute modifiers +/-2, 4, and 6 (page 19) whilst skill modifiers are +/-1, 3, and 5 (page 24)?

No special reason imho. They are just examples not hard limits. There are examples in other rulebooks where the skill modifiers for example gets higher then -5. The highest I have seen is a -7 for working with pure 100% Titanium. (a very very very rare magic material)

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:43 pm

Attribute modifiers seemt to stick with the "magic numbers" 2,4,6,8 that are found throughout the game. But since every point of modifying a skill check afflictes 3 attributes the numbers are usually halved (it seems). -7 means working with an modified attribute value of 5-8 (for experienced characters) thats really really tough. so in every day adventures -5 should be the maximum for really really hard. -7 is more or less the system telling you "dont try this without supporting abilities or tools"

Warden

Postby Warden » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Warden wrote:To clarify, if I took the Mercenary package on page 136, I must have INT 13, and if I do not, I would need to spend extra AP to get it?

Lanir wrote:That requirement specifically mentions it's for the Alertness special ability. You can remove this requirement by adjusting the profession to remove Alertness.

This is confusing because on page 128 the rules state all elements of a Profession are optional, (so for example, I can drop the INT 13 requirement for Alertness for the Mercenary profession), but then the Wyldruner profession has a Prerequisite where you must be an 'Elf'.

How do you know which Prerequisites can be left out and which Prerequisites must be taken?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Warden wrote:
Warden wrote:To clarify, if I took the Mercenary package on page 136, I must have INT 13, and if I do not, I would need to spend extra AP to get it?

Lanir wrote:That requirement specifically mentions it's for the Alertness special ability. You can remove this requirement by adjusting the profession to remove Alertness.

This is confusing because on the one hand, I've read that I can leave out Prerequisites (example, I can drop INT 13 requirement for Alertness for the Mercenary profession), but then the Wyldruner profession requires you be an 'Elf', which is a prerequisite.

How do you know which Prerequisites can be left out and which Prerequisites must be taken?

Prerequisites can never be left out. You can leave out abilities that cause prerequisites, like the alertness . You can be a different mercenary without this special ability , but wyldrunners are all elfs. You can be a wilderness type character using the wyldrunner statblock without the spells though and remove the prerequisite if you want.
its down to lore and common sense

an easy rule would be : Modify mundane professions as much as you like, but non mundane always have the prerequisites. (a knight would still need to be noble though of course= common sense)

Warden

Postby Warden » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:44 am

I just went through them all and isn't too bad actually.

Only the Courtier requires a Prerequisite of 'Advantage - Noble'. Knight doesn't seem to have any.

Magical and Blessed seem to be the ones where you require almost all of them.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”