Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

Warden

Re: Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

Postby Warden » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:28 pm

So, do Ceremonies count towards the allotted 12 as detailed on page 39?

If not, can you buy as many Ceremonies as you can afford?

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Warden wrote:So, do Ceremonies count towards the allotted 12 as detailed on page 39?

If not, can you buy as many Ceremonies as you can afford?

In am no longer sure at the moment. I will consult my German books later when I have access to them.

I have the suspicion that there is a translation screw up with the German word "Zauber" that muddles the water in the English book.
As I am currently the GM for a Edge of Empire campaign the issue didn't come up so far for me in TDE 5E.

Hopefully one of the other German speakers with access to both language versions of the core book will chime in later as well.

Warden

Postby Warden » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:03 pm

After going through the rules I am sure that Ceremonies are treated like skills are as far as obtaining and improving them are concerned

As for if counting toward the 12 limit as defined on page 39, I'd say they don't, because table 39 specifically mentions 'Spells' and 'Liturgical Chants' but nothing else.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:26 pm

There has been this discussion on the German forums, too. So it is not an Englisch versions problem.

But I don't know what the result was.

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:00 am

GTStar wrote:There has been this discussion on the German forums, too. So it is not an Englisch versions problem.

But I don't know what the result was.

That's a bit worrying

Perhaps we can get an official response

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:05 am

How I see it:

Blessings: A Blessed One has to acquire all 12 Blessings for 12 AP (page 324)

Liturgical Chants: You can choose up to 12 Liturgical Chants (if you are an ‘Experienced’ level character) and you choose from those available to your tradition or the generic ones

Ceremonies: You have access to three or four (as detailed on page 333) and you choose them by paying the cost (either ‘B’ or ‘C’). In this respect they are treated exactly like skills for purposes of obtaining and improving them.

Ceremonies count toward the limit of 12 as defined on page 39 <---This is the part I'm not sure about. It does though say, on page 308 "at their core, ceremonies are liturgical chants", which is what leads me to believe they do count toward the limit of 12.

Miracles: you pay 4 points of karma and get +2 on the skill for one check

Great Miracles: if the GM thinks it’s appropriate he can let your god perform a miraculous favour once in your hero’s lifetime.

For all the above, you pay AP to activate them and AP to improve them (though you can't really improve Miracles)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

Since it's like:

Blessings - Cantrips
Liturgical Chants - Spells
Ceremonies - Rituals

I would say they don't count towards the limit. Another reason would be that the Blessings, which are something like "smaller Liturgical Chants" don't count as well (with the Ceremonies being "bigger Liturgical Chants")
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:40 am

HEX the Dark wrote:Since it's like:

Blessings - Cantrips
Liturgical Chants - Spells
Ceremonies - Rituals

I would say they don't count towards the limit. Another reason would be that the Blessings, which are something like "smaller Liturgical Chants" don't count as well (with the Ceremonies being "bigger Liturgical Chants")

Ok, they don't count.

Any reason why there are no premade Rituals but there are premade Ceremonies?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:46 am

There are! Should be around p. 300 (at least, that's where they are in the paperback version of the rules)
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:51 am

HEX the Dark wrote:There are! Should be around p. 300 (at least, that's where they are in the paperback version of the rules)

You're right. Missed them

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”