Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

Warden

Re: Just bought the pdf so I've some questions

Postby Warden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:03 am

Flash wrote:Yes he could. As long as the GM thinks it is appropriate. As allowing someone to try this with a -3 penalty is his decision. (see box page 186)

As a GM in my games I might for example for example allow this if the person tries to protect something hugely important to him. Lets say a nearly deadly wounded parent trying to save his children from slavers or someone making his last stand to hold the enemies just long enough so that his comrades can escape and so on.

Thrar wrote:Stay Conscious is an application available to everyone by default (p192), as are all applications listed under each skill. The penalty is -4 only.

But where does it specifically say applications are available to everyone by default? It's not on page 192

Page 186

Applications
(a) If a skill check involves a certain application, it appears in parentheses, as in Perception (Spot). This is important when determining whether a hero can use a certain advantage or special ability.

Making a Check When You Don’t Have the Relevant Application
(b) None of the heroes has the special ability Heraldry (which grants the new application Heraldry & Family Trees for the skill Etiquette), but two of the heroes have the advantage Noble I and therefore might have at least some knowledge of local heraldry.

If the GM decides that they can make a check without possessing the appropriate application, their checks suffer a penalty of at least 3. All other normal modifiers apply.

Upon reading the above, it seems to me that (a) if you do have the specific application you can apply certain advantages or special abilities to it, and (b) if you don't have the specific application, but you do have an applicable advantage/special ability (like Noble I above), then you can attempt the action with a -3.

So why would 'Stay Conscious' not have a -3 penalty if you don't have that application?

Again on page 34

"For example, a blind hero may be able to discern an enemy’s position during combat if the enemy makes a lot of noise. This might require checks on Perception (Search) vs. Stealth (Sneak)."

So what happens if you don't have the application Search or Sneak?

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:55 am

Thrar wrote:Stay Conscious is an application available to everyone by default (p192), as are all applications listed under each skill. The penalty is -4 only.

Ah shit you are correct. Self-Control (Stay Conscious) is a standard application for the skill not a new application .

My mistake.

That shall teach me not to answer questions shortly before going to bed... :lol:

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:25 am

Warden wrote:So why would 'Stay Conscious' not have a -3 penalty if you don't have that application?

If you don't have the application you would be correct but in this case everyone has the application.

The applications: Ignore Distractions, Resist Torture, Stay Conscious just come with the Self-Control skill. Everyone has them. So they wouldn't suffer the penalties.

My mistake yesterday was not checking the list and assuming that Stay Conscious was a New Application that you need to pay for.

Sorry for the confusion I caused with this.

Warden wrote:But where does it specifically say applications are available to everyone by default? It's not on page 192

It is on Page 186
It is written in a somewhat counter intuitive way as you need to read under two headers to see it written explicitly.

Under the header Applications:
"Every skill has applications, which are sub-areas of the skill.
If a skill check involves a certain application, it appears
in parentheses, as in Perception (Spot).

Under the header New Applications:
"Some skill applications are not immediately available.
These new applications must be purchased via special
abilities or advantages before the player can make
checks in these areas."

Warden wrote:So what happens if you don't have the application Search or Sneak?

That case can't happen as both Search and Sneak applications are standard applications that come with the skill.

The whole Perception (Search) vs. Stealth (Sneak) routine is just there in the first place so that someone that for example has the special ability Skill Specialization Stealth (Sneak) knows for sure that he can apply is ability for the check.

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 am

So I have this right:

If any Skill on page 188 to 213 has an Application listed next to it (example, Climbing: Mountains, Trees, Walls), the character automatically gets them all.

If you require an Application and you haven't got it, for example the special ability Heraldry grants the new application Heraldry & Family Trees for the skill Etiquette, that's when you get the -3 penalty.

Is that right?

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 am

You got it.

Although went I want to be super correct it means at least -3 and when the DM allows it... ;)

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 am

Flash wrote:You got it.

Although went I want to be super correct it means at least -3 and when the DM allows it... ;)

That's true

Thanks all!

Warden

Postby Warden » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:51 am

I just need some clarificatino on the following magic acquistion rules

Blessings: A Blessed One needs to acquire all 12 Blessings (for 12 AP, see page 324). They have no choice.

Liturgical Chants: You can choose up to 12 Liturgical Chants (if an ‘Experienced’ level character) that are available for your tradition, or are from the generic ones

Ceremonies: You have access to 3 or 4 (as detailed on page 333) and you have to activate them by paying the cost (either ‘B’ or ‘C’). In this respect they are treated like skills for purposes of obtaining and improving them.

Also, Ceremonies (and Rituals) do count toward the limit of 12 as defined on page 39.

Miracles: you pay 4 points of karma and get +2 on the skill for one check

All of the above: you have to activate and pay for them in AP to get them (a profession package will include them in the cost)

Is that correct?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Yes, this seems correct to me.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Warden

Postby Warden » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Why are attribute modifiers +/-2, 4, and 6 (page 19) whilst skill modifiers are +/-1, 3, and 5 (page 24)?

Warden

Postby Warden » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:49 am

Anyone?

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”