Some Magic Errata, Perhaps?

Flash

Re: Some Magic Errata, Perhaps?

Postby Flash » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

JohnK wrote:In this case, I really feel that the overcomplication stems from the way the text is written. It's confusing, at least to me.

When in doubt of the rules always look into the text that explains things before the example entries.
Most important advice for reading the whole book... :lol:

Here it is the Alchemical Brewing in Detail section on page 270:

"We provide examples of ingredients for every elixir to help stimulate ideas."

The ingredients are just fluff at their most basic level and when the GM doesn't want to bother with it. Mechanically they don't really matter.That naturally doesn't mean that he can't limit the availability of buyable ingredients and demand that the adventurers need to quest for them:

"Often, to create an elixir of reasonable quality, the most challenging task in alchemical brewing is finding
the right ingredients. In some cases, this requires its own adventure.

JohnK wrote:Oh, okay... Truthfully, this was not what I was expecting, as the implications earlier on in the book seemed to indicate... Ah, well, never mind. Like you said, don't get hit in combat! :)

TDE is stingy with healing magic. That has been so for five editions. The rough exchange rate of 1AE for 1LP has been with us for a really long time. By now it can be called a holy cow.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Hullo, Flash,

Flash wrote:
JohnK wrote:In this case, I really feel that the overcomplication stems from the way the text is written. It's confusing, at least to me.

When in doubt of the rules always look into the text that explains things before the example entries.
Most important advice for reading the whole book... :lol:

Here it is the Alchemical Brewing in Detail section on page 270:

"We provide examples of ingredients for every elixir to help stimulate ideas."

That's certainly true, but there's no business along those lines explaining the Cost line for this. And that's the line that's been bothering me.

Flash wrote: The ingredients are just fluff at their most basic level and when the GM doesn't want to bother with it. Mechanically they don't really matter.That naturally doesn't mean that he can't limit the availability of buyable ingredients and demand that the adventurers need to quest for them:

"Often, to create an elixir of reasonable quality, the most challenging task in alchemical brewing is finding
the right ingredients. In some cases, this requires its own adventure.

That's one of the things l like in most games that provide lists of ingredients or whatever for this sort of thing. Quests for the needed ingredients can be a lot of fun, especially when they lead to other adventures and/or quests. :)

Flash wrote:
JohnK wrote:Oh, okay... Truthfully, this was not what I was expecting, as the implications earlier on in the book seemed to indicate... Ah, well, never mind. Like you said, don't get hit in combat! :)

TDE is stingy with healing magic. That has been so for five editions. The rough exchange rate of 1AE for 1LP has been with us for a really long time. By now it can be called a holy cow.

That isn't something that's been obvious to me reading the TDE Core Rules until now. "Stingy" sounds a bit like an understatement. Temple healers and those who operate apothecaries in Aventuria must be making a fortune. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Hullo, folks,

A couple of more questions about Magic, this time about some spells and rituals...

On page 293, under the Horriphobus spell, the Tradition is said to be Guild Mage, but the charts on page 301 says that it falls under Witch. Which is correct?

On the same page, 293, the Invocatio Minima spell, is listed as being both Guild Mage and Witch by Tradition. Is this correct?

Thanks, in advance. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

JohnK wrote:On page 293, under the Horriphobus spell, the Tradition is said to be Guild Mage, but the charts on page 301 says that it falls under Witch. Which is correct?

Guild Mage

JohnK wrote:On the same page, 293, the Invocatio Minima spell, is listed as being both Guild Mage and Witch by Tradition. Is this correct?

Yes

Both answers are based on the rules wiki by the way....with check on both English and German language.
That thing is becoming so useful. :lol:

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

@John

This are errata. This was already reported, so if you come across to similar stuff and you are in dilemma, just check Errata thread. Search function is very very useful.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Hullo, MadBeard,

MadBeard wrote:@John

This are errata. This was already reported, so if you come across to similar stuff and you are in dilemma, just check Errata thread. Search function is very very useful.

The problem is that in that thread a lot of errata are pointed out, but there's no confirmation from Eric or anyone at Ulisses about whether the errata is corect or what. Kind of getting frustrated with it, to be honest.
=====

JohnK

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”