Blinding Flash spell

thelordoftherats

Blinding Flash spell

Postby thelordoftherats » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Does the Blinding Flash spell from the General Wizard tradition cause the actual blindness condition or only 1 level of the confusion condition?

Bosper

Re: Blinding Flash spell

Postby Bosper » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 am

its one level of confusion
the english version has a little bit confusing "and" in there . should be:
The victim gets blinded briefly . He suffers one level of confusion.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Hullo, Bosper,

Bosper wrote:its one level of confusion
the english version has a little bit confusing "and" in there . should be:
The victim gets blinded briefly . He suffers one level of confusion.

Thanks for clarifying this, but I have to say that the spell shouldn't be called what it is if there's no actual blindness involved. Personally I'd add in part of the Blind State effects to this, depending on the QL, but that's just me.
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pm

The 2nd printing of the Core book corrected this spell:

Blinding Flash
This spell confuses and overwhelms the target’s senses
(sight, mainly), so that the target has trouble perceiving
its surroundings.
Check:COU/INT/CHA (modified by Spirit)
Effect:The target suffers one level of the condition
Confusion.

Note the change in the Effect.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Its just that the spell is named like this for more than 25 years. way before there was such a thing as a "blind" condition. Its more like very brief flashbang. The blinding isnt the main part. It is supposed to be cheap and quick, a small "debuff" for the enemy to help spellcasters who arent that melee-savvy, full blindness would be too powerfull.

Its of course not ideal as a name, but it is not ideal out of tradition.

And its at least fair in its confusing name, since the german title can be understood as "lightning shall find you" and a lot of new players have to realise disappointed that this isnt a cheap damage spell

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Hullo, tempest13,

tempest13 wrote:The 2nd printing of the Core book corrected this spell:

Blinding Flash
This spell confuses and overwhelms the target’s senses
(sight, mainly), so that the target has trouble perceiving
its surroundings.
Check:COU/INT/CHA (modified by Spirit)
Effect:The target suffers one level of the condition
Confusion.

Note the change in the Effect.

While that's all fine and dandy, it would still be nice too have the Errata all in one document, rather than having to sift between the 2nd Ed PDF and the hardcover to figure out the errata. I don't have the eyes for that or the patience for it.

And with that said, why the heck call the spell *Blinding* Flash, since it actually doesn't do that?
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Hullo, Bosper,

Bosper wrote:Its just that the spell is named like this for more than 25 years. way before there was such a thing as a "blind" condition. Its more like very brief flashbang. The blinding isnt the main part. It is supposed to be cheap and quick, a small "debuff" for the enemy to help spellcasters who arent that melee-savvy, full blindness would be too powerfull.

I figured the spell was retaining a name that was...traditional for the spell in the earlier editions of the game. Still, a -1 penalty to one's AT and stuff isn't all that much of a threat. Personally, the Witch's Fighting Stick spell is more effective than this "flashbang" spell. :)

Bosper wrote:Its of course not ideal as a name, but it is not ideal out of tradition.

Bosper wrote:And its at least fair in its confusing name, since the german title can be understood as "lightning shall find you" and a lot of new players have to realise disappointed that this isnt a cheap damage spell

Indeed, it's not. Of course, I've noticed that damage spells cost a lot more in terms of AE expenditure. Damage spells tend to be overrated in my opinion, as it's a lot more fun to find a more subtle way of using spells for combative purposes, but still...
=====

JohnK

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Bosper wrote:Its just that the spell is named like this for more than 25 years. way before there was such a thing as a "blind" condition. Its more like very brief flashbang. The blinding isnt the main part. It is supposed to be cheap and quick, a small "debuff" for the enemy to help spellcasters who arent that melee-savvy, full blindness would be too powerfull.

Its of course not ideal as a name, but it is not ideal out of tradition.

And its at least fair in its confusing name, since the german title can be understood as "lightning shall find you" and a lot of new players have to realise disappointed that this isnt a cheap damage spell

Does the Mgaic book have any useful modifications to this to make it more appealing to pick and use?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am

The spell got modifications for 2, 4 and 8 targets. Which is ok. Its not meant to be powerfull its a 4ASP class A spell

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am

JohnK wrote:Indeed, it's not. Of course, I've noticed that damage spells cost a lot more in terms of AE expenditure. Damage spells tend to be overrated in my opinion, as it's a lot more fun to find a more subtle way of using spells for combative purposes, but still...

Damage spells are only really viable if you focus on them. There are a few different kinds of battle mages which got interesting ways to make them unique and useful. Warmages with enormous range, Battlemages that increase the damage and others that reduce the cost. My very experienced fire-elementarist casts 2d6+14 Ignifaxius spells for 2-3 ASP every second turn without penalty. Thats 20 spells until he is drained, with increased regeneration of 6-8 ASP a night. Thats a battlemage. But on the other hand, he is really bad up to incapable in everything that isnt burning targets.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”