Making Combat more interesting.

Aprewett

Making Combat more interesting.

Postby Aprewett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:13 am

Just spitballing here, but we have found Combat to be a little bland - you swing they swing type affairs.
So if Combat Technique is a measure of skill would it make sence that it could be used as a guide to Special Abilities.
Rate the Special Abilities on a complexity scale and associated Combat Technique's
For example; Feint 1 is level 8 and its Swords (+others) for example.
Its given automatically.
A player can still buy with AD's other Combat Special Abilities not covered under there primary fighting style.
This puts SA's like Feint, Disarm, Riposte, Defensive Posture, for example into the game. Probably more in the Compendium.

Shinxirus

Re: Making Combat more interesting.

Postby Shinxirus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is. The maneuvers you mention are (at least partially) included in most professions that have some kind of combat training. So if you want to play a fighter you will mostly start off already knowing a maneuver or two, and logic dictates that you then learn new ones. The only case in which you'd have a "you swing they swing" scenario is in a fight between characters who all have no combat training at all - in which case it wouldn't make any sense for them to know any advanced maneuvers. Keep in mind that combat is less prominent (and features less often) in TDE than in other rpgs, and it is perfectly fine to play a noncombatant.

If you want to make combat more interesting, use the individual weapon perks from one of the armouries, or the hit zone/wound mechanics from the upcoming compendium/armoury bundle.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Ok, but that does not cover the build it how you like point system. So our play experience with one player with 2 characters, one a hunter/blessed one, the other a mage/thief. The primary fighter is the hunter with no embeded SAs for combat, but he could still purchase a high Combat Technique. So that is an observation not a problem.
Yes I agree a low Combat Technique would not know any SAs, that was not what I was suggesting.
Yes, I understand the less prominent combat aspect, but that does not mean it has to be dull, so not sure I follow the reference.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Making your combat interesting basically boils down to how good you as a GM can tell it. The rules are secondary, you have to describe it.
I know this might not help much, but even all SAs will just be "rolling ice" in the end.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes absolutely, but a little dated.
But not all gaming is GM driven. I encourage my player to join the narrative.
So one option when his character with a high Combat Technique and he wants to feint or disarm is to just allow it.
I was just wondering about a system mechanic to set them in.
How would you allow such a choice by a player?
Do you allow them a buy into the fiction?
Does your GM skill paint the picture and then fluff the mechanical detail as if the player had the ability, or not allow it as they have not bought it?

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 am

I certainly encourage descriptive combat via narrative in lieu of 'I swing, I hit, etc'. And sure even if your character or players character doesn't have a special ability like say Feint I, while describing a CRs combat the players character could certainly describe his character as feinting, then moving in for a strike. But if his character doesn't have the SA Feint I, then he/she would not be allowed to add the mechanical bonus from the Special Ability, not until he has paid for and his character has learned the Special Ability.

If you want to houserule that all fighter type automatically learn abilities like Feint, sure go ahead. Just make sure your players are comfortable with the change (especially the ones playing Mages, as they get a bit shafted with AP costs anyway), and make sure you decide if this change is Universal (i.e. applies to all NPCs in the gameworld as well) or specific only to your players and/or a few special NPCs.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 am

Yes, mechanically I was thinkiing it would apply to everyone.
CT starts at level 6, so that shows that just picking up a weapon for the first time a person knows to point the right end to the enemy.
If training is done, now I can start doing more skillful thinks with the weapon.
Not automaticaly learn, put a scale on them, but automatically learned when you reach those training thresholds. Normal skills generate higher QLs as they increase, I was thinking this was a similar outcome to that system, but represented as Maneuvers.
Like I first posted and still just spitballing Feint 1 comes in at CT 9
Disarm CT 11, Feint 2 CT 12
Riposte CR 14, or mix the order up. Could be the teacher taught Riposte before Disarm. I would look to the AP cost to help placement.
The only system problem those professions that already have them incluuded, then spend the same on something else. I dont know, that was why I was just brainstorming, to add some extra fun to the combat scene.
Still have to meet any Prerequisites. You still cant have CT 2 higher than its governing attribute.
There are other possible Maneuvers that could be added and maybe they will in later books once released.
So by saying you allow the player to be descriptive but then they see no system benifit, then why bother, certainly the player would pick up that there was no benifit and next time just rolls dice.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Just make it mandatory to have a certain number of special abilities at certain levels of combat techniques. The SAs need to be useable with that CT.
So if you only have one handed combat SA they can have the swords CT at a level of 9 or higher but the two handed swords CT would be limited to 8 or less until the buy a SA that can be used with two handed swords.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:23 am

So my house rule with the special abilities from the core book only at this stage, is to use the AP cost of 10 = CT 8
15 = 9
20 = 12
25 = 15
30 to 40 = 18
Anyone can jump the cue and spend the points showing single minded focus on that ability.
As per the rules that mention anyway, that basic maneuvers are common tricks and CT shows a level of skill in that style of weapon.
This only applies to certain abilities. Feint, disarm, riposte, defensive posture, forceful blow, one handed combat, take down, tilt.
My desire is to add some more thought to the combat scene.
Some abilities would have a limited reuse on the same opponent. You could only Feint so many times before the opponent wises up.
Prerequisites etc still apply.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:10 am

Add Charge to the list. Had a conclusion combat to an adventure last week with these rules and my player actually got to think tactically and mix his actions up. Also made him look at his prerequisite attribute that where stalling him from the next level.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”