Elves And Spellcasting

Thrar

Re: Elves And Spellcasting

Postby Thrar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

In my opinion, having advantages (or disadvantages) worth more than 80 points doesn't significantly change game balance. While I'm sure there are some imbalances, dis/advantages are meant to be balanced for their AP cost regardless of limit.

In my view, the 80 AP limit is in the rules for another reason: To prevent overly gimmicky characters. Generally, I think a character who has just a few dis/advantages but really brings them out during play is more interesting than one with a whole bag full that are impossible to keep track of.

If I see that a player is choosing dis/advantages >80 AP that make sense for their character concept, as GM I wouldn't have a problem with allowing that. However, if a player is trying to min/max an absurd character by cramming in as many gimmicks as possible (and probably counting on the GM not remembering them all), I'd point them to the 80 AP limit and be glad that it's there.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 am

Thrar wrote:In my opinion, having advantages (or disadvantages) worth more than 80 points doesn't significantly change game balance. While I'm sure there are some imbalances, dis/advantages are meant to be balanced for their AP cost regardless of limit.

In my view, the 80 AP limit is in the rules for another reason: To prevent overly gimmicky characters. Generally, I think a character who has just a few dis/advantages but really brings them out during play is more interesting than one with a whole bag full that are impossible to keep track of.

If I see that a player is choosing dis/advantages >80 AP that make sense for their character concept, as GM I wouldn't have a problem with allowing that. However, if a player is trying to min/max an absurd character by cramming in as many gimmicks as possible (and probably counting on the GM not remembering them all), I'd point them to the 80 AP limit and be glad that it's there.

I totally agree, we never even had a character using the maximum, and we have a blessed elf in the group

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 am

If you agree to that, why were you arguing so vehemently against it as the group in question seem to agree amongst themselves that that would be their expectation of Elves? You don’t have to play with them or anyone else who doesn’t play your carefully balanced competitive playstyle.
If TDE becomes focused on a single playstyle it might be better for that but would loose a lot of players that play differently.
Really looking forward there to some of the products aimed at playing more experienced Heroes.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”