Are You Going To Use The New Combat Rules?

Schlake

Are You Going To Use The New Combat Rules?

Postby Schlake » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Now that the Aventurian Compendium is out, what do people think of the new combat rules? My character generally tries to hold the lamp so that other people can see to fight, so I don't think I have any need to try them. I did like the -16 penalty to stab someone in the eye though.
--Schlake

Bosper

Re: Are You Going To Use The New Combat Rules?

Postby Bosper » Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Best thing about it are the fighting styles, they really give a fighter some individual, well , style

Dyvim

Postby Dyvim » Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 am

Well I think that the combat styles are fun but there are a lot that are missing or should exist but doesn't (in compendium II you have again a lot of them and still no style for someone who fights with a 2H sword but doesn't come from Maraskan just for example)

Hit zone rules can be cool especially if you like to describe the effects of your hits, but it slows down a bit the rythm of the fight I think. It can make the fights even more quick and lethal though...

Combat in water or combat in a chariot are really very situational.

I think that the part about skills and their applications is really important in this book and lots of people tends to forget it. I made the same mistake at the beginning but after a second (and more) reading the descriptions and rules about all the applications are really usefull.
But it's a bit off topic :)

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sun May 26, 2019 6:49 am

Dyvim wrote:Well I think that the combat styles are fun but there are a lot that are missing or should exist but doesn't (in compendium II you have again a lot of them and still no style for someone who fights with a 2H sword but doesn't come from Maraskan just for example)

True the number of styles in the Compendium is too few, and I wish there was at least one style for all 2H swords. However there are styles that allow for 'All' weapons that you can use with 2H swords, like the Elenvina Style. Plus there are I believe two different 2H styles but they apply to specific types of 2H weapons (Adersin Style and Rondras Defiance Style)

You can use various special combat abilities in conjunction with taking a 'general' weapons style like Elenvina or even the aforementioned Adersain style and then purchase the advanced combat special abilities (like High Blade) to use with your 2H sword.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon May 27, 2019 2:46 pm

In my games we dont really care about regional or specific weapon restrictions for styles. Rename it and you are done.

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 pm

I know one guy in our group really wants to wear a helmet, and have that mean something. So he might push for that. I suspect most of them will like the combat techniques. My character is useless, so I usually hold the lantern while the other people fight.
--Schlake

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm

I'm going to use some advanced combat rules of the Compendium I (combat style, and localisation in some cases ...) but also Compendium II (assassination optional rules).
My personal advanced combat rules will make combat more tactical in TDE games ... so I will be fool not to use the Compendium options :)

Dyvim

Postby Dyvim » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 am

Bosper wrote:In my games we dont really care about regional or specific weapon restrictions for styles. Rename it and you are done.

You got a point... It's a good idea even if some styles won't please everyone.
The maraskan style for example is very specific in its way to use the 2H sword (mostly base on the counter attack)
Some styles are still missing : sword and shield or axe and shield, a style with the quarterstaff, elf fencing styles (but you can change the name of the fedorino style to create a new one),...

Dyvim

Postby Dyvim » Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am

Schlake wrote:I know one guy in our group really wants to wear a helmet, and have that mean something. So he might push for that. I suspect most of them will like the combat techniques. My character is useless, so I usually hold the lantern while the other people fight.

What sort of character can be completely useless during a fight?
Even my wizard managed to fight with his quarterstaff... He was really less usefull than the other characters but managed to occupy one opponent without taking too much damage (thanks to the bonus to parry that is given by a long wizard staff) while the others were killing their opponents. And sometimes his spells have given a good advantage to everyone.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue May 28, 2019 11:17 am

Dyvim wrote:
Bosper wrote:In my games we dont really care about regional or specific weapon restrictions for styles. Rename it and you are done.

You got a point... It's a good idea even if some styles won't please everyone.
The maraskan style for example is very specific in its way to use the 2H sword (mostly base on the counter attack)
Some styles are still missing : sword and shield or axe and shield, a style with the quarterstaff, elf fencing styles (but you can change the name of the fedorino style to create a new one),...

Adersin works pretty well with Sword ans Shield, as does Rondras Schutz (thats what my knight is using, combined with tactical formation and a dwarven buddy with formation attack /parry he is the center of an unbeatable bullwark), Prem Style works for axe+shield and sword+ shield. And my maraskanian monk uses hylailos style with his quarterstaff. Not perfect but its alright. Cant wait for more official styles.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”