Spells: The Thread

Morgoth

Spells: The Thread

Postby Morgoth » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:17 am

So instead of making multiple threads regarding the same general topic I will try to compile all questions regarding Spells (Mage/Elf/Witch etc) in this thread. Let's start with the first two that have been bugging me:

-Ignifaxus: Can you not power the Lance of Fire up any more like in prior editions and the Realms of Arkania games? I thought that was a great benefit of the spell; as it is if you cannot power it up any more what makes it better than Fulminictus now, since the latter is auto hit and does the same damage (and also is not stopped by armor/PRO rating I think)

Fulminictus: From the descriptive text this spell does not seem to produce a visible effect. Is that true? In the video games there was a lightning type of effect if I recall correctly, from the RoA games to Drakensang. Also in Blackguards I think.

thebwt

Re: Spells: The Thread

Postby thebwt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:23 am

From my quick read, the main difference is the tradition restrictions.

But it looks to me like Fulminictus is better in every way. Casting time, display, bypasses protection, auto-hits.
Check out the unofficial slack channel @ https://rpg-talk.com/ , join us in #the_dark_eye

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57 am

Well Ignifaxus has a greater range and unlike Fulminictus isn't resisted by Toughness. Also it can set you on fire so it isn't completely one sided.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:24 am

But still, as it is Fulminictus is still stronger. It takes 1 action to cast for instance, instead of Ignifaxus's 2.

Powering Ignifaxus up was a staple of all prior editions, at least in the games. (This time around spells (and skills) have a Quality Level (QL) which can increase damage if you are of a higher QL, however Fukminictus also increase damage by the same amount depending on QL. )

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Not every spellcaster will get Fulminictus or Igni. And there will be variants for every spell in the Aventuria Magic books, which you can choose at higher levels. This will give them more advantages.

Teekayy

Postby Teekayy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Remember you can also cut the casting time in half, for a small penalty.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Fulminictus also cant harm undead or demons. (They are immune to its school of magic/type of spell)Which can be Quite a disadvantage

And yes fulminictus is invisible.only in the videogames an effect was added because invisible magic doesnt work well in that medium and audience

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”