Equipment: The Thread

Morgoth
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:41 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Morgoth » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Bosper wrote:There will be special abilities that are way more.common with white/grey/black mages
Simy because of there different magical specialities. You have to learn Them and a white academy wont teach a black mage and often vice versa( the black guild might teach a white mage for a big fee or quest.but the white mage will probably geht thrown out of his guild then). You want to improve your healing spella with an Ability? Leta hope youre a white vor grey mage.you want to be effective at necromancy? I hope you are a black mage and someone ows you a lot! You want to master elemental forces? Besteht chances if you are grey.


Staffel/sword
While you can Carry a long Staff in your off hand you cant use it in battle with only one Hand.to dual-wield you would need a 1h Staffel/wand.
Longswords (long weapons in general) are illegal for all guild mages except very few academies. Some use short swords (summoners) or mage- rapiers (shorter version of rapier for show-offs). If you are not in a guild you dont need to care. But good luck then to find (affordable) teachers


Will these special abilities be in the Magic Book, and if so which one? Can you give an example of such an ability for White Mages, and does the Gareth Academy get a special ability/technique of it's own?

If you are guildless that means you typically cannot learn these abilities right? There has to be a disadvantage to be guildless, otherwise why would I play a PC that is constrained by political/guild rules?

Lastly yes I know there are 3 types of Mage Staves; the short and medium can be used one handed and thus used in Dual Weilding. :D

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Morgoth wrote:
Bosper wrote:


Will these special abilities be in the Magic Book, and if so which one? Can you give an example of such an ability for White Mages, and does the Gareth Academy get a special ability/technique of it's own?

If you are guildless that means you typically cannot learn these abilities right? There has to be a disadvantage to be guildless, otherwise why would I play a PC that is constrained by political/guild rules?

Lastly yes I know there are 3 types of Mage Staves; the short and medium can be used one handed and thus used in Dual Weilding. :D


The guilds are the places with the most learnable useful knowledge (spells skills special abilities) and they usually are too jealous to share the besteht of it.Some wont even teach a guildless the most basic spell (most white) others will take enourmous fees or duties in return. You would mostly be looking for tomes and private teachers and for that you need to be filthy rich.(plus even some private mages will only teach members of their own guild.

But the most important part: As a guildless mage you are not only free to disobey the guils rules.you are also not protected by guild law. A nonguild spellcaster who damages controls or injures a legal citizen of any City or county is treated AS if he acted in the worst possible purpose. If a misscasted fireball injures a citizen you will burn for attempted murder. If someone accusses you of magical commanding a citizem against Their will it will be high treason and or attempted murder (and yes i said accuses.guilty until proven innocent)


A guildmage will get a guild trial.with experts who can judge fairly.


If academies get abilities of their own i cant say. They didnt until now, so i doubt it but warrior academies didnt before either..so maybe. The new Academies in the Quarreling Kingdoms didnt get any though but maybe it will be added as optional rule in Magic 1 (and for other Traditions in Magic 2)
A typical verrry black special ability was "Giver/Gifter of the spark" which turned the necromancy spell "Scelettarius" (raising simple undead) from 15 Rounds casting to a single action. Something extremely useful that a white mage would neither be tought ever not ever even want to learn. White Acadamies would teach to shield your mind against Magic (battle academies like Gareth will also teach you other useful things like extending your spells range, but thats not exclusive. ), while grey academies might teach you to summon elementals more easily or even master contradicting elements (water+fire, humus+ice) But nothing ever is impossible to achieve. All mages are mages and can in theory learn the same abilities. They have to fullfill the requirements and find a willing teacher.The last part is mostly the hard one.

And that is true for all spellcasters actually. In pure theory everyone is able to learn everything.

P.S. Again sorry for how some of my posts look, when i submit from my phone it automatically alters it using german-autocorrect. with strange results sometimes

GTStar
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby GTStar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Bosper wrote:If academies get abilities of their own i cant say. They didnt until now, so i doubt it but warrior academies didnt before either..so maybe. The new Academies in the Quarreling Kingdoms didnt get any though but maybe it will be added as optional rule in Magic 1 (and for other Traditions in Magic 2)

They will. warrior academies get combat styles, magic academys get magic styles - that means they can choose out of some special abilities that most others cannot take.

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Bosper » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:10 am

Very good

Morgoth
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:41 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Morgoth » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 am

Sweet! Anyone know if there are Special Abilities for specific academies within the Mage color spectrum (White, Grey, Black)?

I want a Gareth Academy special ability that lets my PC dual wield and cast certain spells in the same round also! :D

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Bosper » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Morgoth wrote:Sweet! Anyone know if there are Special Abilities for specific academies within the Mage color spectrum (White, Grey, Black)?

I want a Gareth Academy special ability that lets my PC dual wield and cast certain spells in the same round also! :D

Thats probably not going to happen. I could imagine allowing them to enchant their sword a bit More than other mages. or since they also hunt down corrupt mages they might get something helping them in this task

Morgoth
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:41 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Morgoth » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 am

Bosper wrote:
Morgoth wrote:Sweet! Anyone know if there are Special Abilities for specific academies within the Mage color spectrum (White, Grey, Black)?

I want a Gareth Academy special ability that lets my PC dual wield and cast certain spells in the same round also! :D

Thats probably not going to happen. I could imagine allowing them to enchant their sword a bit More than other mages. or since they also hunt down corrupt mages they might get something helping them in this task


Well at least something that allows them to dual wield a sword and staff better. I really liked Gandalf's fighting style in LOTR movies! :D

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Equipment: The Thread

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 am

There are fighing abilites to improve dual wield. Regardless of the weapon. Remember everyone can learn those. They are not a figher-only thing


Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests