Professions and Skills - AP Cost

Bosper

Re: Professions and Skills - AP Cost

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:44 am

Well its a candidate for a houserule i guess. It just still punishes every character that isnt a classical heroclass. And since all TDE Characters are heroes chosen by Fate (since they have FtP) i dont see why some should have advantages in being a hero, and others in sheering sheep, for normal people i see your point a bit. But i dont see it for a hero. Profession is your Backround and not more. It should not have more impact than that.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:15 pm

@Thorgarth

Perhaps you should take a look at Rolemaster RMSS od RMFRP. That is the only system I know that goes in so much skill detail like you seem to want.
There the professions influence the skill costs and you have skill groups and single skills on top of it. But based on my own experiences it involves a lot of maths for very little gain in play. There is a reason why a lot of Rolmaster players prefer the easier RM 2 or RM classic skill systems.

TDE 5E went the way of maximum freedom in character generation pared with manageable maths and packages in form of professions to speed up generation. After my experiences with TDE 4 character generation this is a big step forward for the game. It is much more playable and beginner friendly now while still retaining the ability to make a great range of characters. Also making my own professions is much easier now,

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 pm

@ Flash

I know, and own, all the core books for RMSR. It´s an excellent system, though heavy on some mechanical aspects (spell casting mods for instance it´s *"%&ed up), even if not by half what people usually try to "sell". The math part on character creation is a bit heavy also BUT once done it´s done (till next level). During play it´s awesome. And combat?!?! What can I say. My players will never look at orcs the same way... :twisted:

But it´s not the only system that gives certain advantages skill wise based on professions. I already gave an example in a prior post of a system akin in complexity to TDE that implements it without any problem. HackMaster 5th edition is a very good game, though in truth is also a class based game, whereas TDE wants to be classless.

The things is IF you want a classless system you´ve GOT to go classless. You don´t need to create your own professions, you just create your own character based on your vision of him, his background, etc. You don´t need to create a formal "profession package", just spend AP where you thinks it´s logical according to what you envision.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Then why do you want to enforce indirect class systems into a classless game? Discounts or penalties are just a mechanical way of saying "this is what you should do to play your character the right way"

julianwolfe

Postby julianwolfe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:14 am

IMO I think this is the first version of the game that isn't married to Aventuria. With the classes gone, I'm sure I could adapt this to Tolkien with very little effort.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 am

julianwolfe wrote:IMO I think this is the first version of the game that isn't married to Aventuria. With the classes gone, I'm sure I could adapt this to Tolkien with very little effort.

wellll if you ignore all the magic and clerical rules which are very aventurian, you could. But that was always the case.

julianwolfe

Postby julianwolfe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:32 am

I'm not really sure what's so important about the magic that makes it Aventurian. To be fair, I'm not as familiar with the clerical stuff, but it doesn't seem like the elf, mage, and witch stuff is all that special, but maybe that's because it still has the trappings of a generic fantasy system.

It would be pretty easy to lower the amount of powerful spells to make it more subtle, and come up with new professions and cultures. Any system with hard-locked classes makes it more tied to its fluff. The selective nature of chargen in TDE5 dodges that by a wide margin.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm

julianwolfe wrote:I'm not really sure what's so important about the magic that makes it Aventurian. To be fair, I'm not as familiar with the clerical stuff, but it doesn't seem like the elf, mage, and witch stuff is all that special, but maybe that's because it still has the trappings of a generic fantasy system.

It would be pretty easy to lower the amount of powerful spells to make it more subtle, and come up with new professions and cultures. Any system with hard-locked classes makes it more tied to its fluff. The selective nature of chargen in TDE5 dodges that by a wide margin.

You wanted to adapt it to tolkien, who has everything but a generic fantasy magic system at work. The rules for magic signs and runes are more tolkienesque, when those are translated its probably way easier. Putting effort and craftsmanship into forging a subtle magical effect (not gettign affected by weather, being harder to hit with missiles, making armour more comfortable etc) vs. waving your hand and something explodes.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”