Skill Points

Blaen the Noble

Skill Points

Postby Blaen the Noble » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Fellow Gamers,

I am a shop owner in Delaware! This Saturday is Free Roleplaying Day! I have taken the responsibility to run the The Dark Eye that is being given away. The system seems easy enough but I got lost in the rules. Can someone help me out?

Specific Questions:
1) How do you determine Skill Points?
2) Layariel is proclaimed as an expert with the bow! Yet her ability is only at Range Combat is 14! How does that make her an expert marksman?

With those two answers, I may be able to do the game justice.

John Corradin

Strongblade

Re: Skill Points

Postby Strongblade » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm

You use AP to improve skills as per pg 50 in the CRB. The number after the skill, in this case is Range Combat 14, is the skill Rating. The skill rating equals the skill points (see pg 21). She can spend 14 points to make her Range Combat attack die rolls go from a miss to a success as per pg 21 of the CRB.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:00 am

Strongblade wrote:You use AP to improve skills as per pg 50 in the CRB. The number after the skill, in this case is Range Combat 14, is the skill Rating. The skill rating equals the skill points (see pg 21). She can spend 14 points to make her Range Combat attack die rolls go from a miss to a success as per pg 21 of the CRB.

Regarding how you determine SP, I refer you to p. 39 where you figure out the Level of Experience the players will have, and hence the AP available to them (and several limits) to spend on several options while building their characters. P. 50 specifically deals with improving the character´s abilities, and hence Skills. It tells you ho much you will need to to spend (in AP) to activate a skill and improve them, according to their complexity.

Disregard the second part of Strongblade´s explanation. IT IS WRONG. Page 21 is actually right but his explanation refers to skill checks and not Attacks. In attack or defense rolls you do NOT use skill points to turn possible misses into success, you roll against the appropriate Combat Technique stat, in this case Ranged Combat Stat (which equals SR of the Ranged Combat Technique modified by Dex, as per p. 51) , which you will find detailed on p. 241 and following. That is you roll a d20 and will succeed on roll equal or under said stat (modified by any relevant modifiers).
Last edited by Thorgarth on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blaen the Noble

Postby Blaen the Noble » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks to all who responded!

Your ever luvin buddy,
John

Blaen the Noble

Postby Blaen the Noble » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:03 am

Fellow Gamers,

I do not have the core book just the Quick Start book which is being given away on Saturday. Several people talked about appropriate modifiers? What might they be?

It still seems that if Layariel needs a 14 or under she is an adequate marksman but nit exceptionally good? I am still a bit confused ant further clarification would help.

Your ever luvin buddy,
John

Teekayy

Postby Teekayy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 am

Well you have to roll a 20 sided die to make an attack. And you hit if the roll is equal or under the attack value (here: 14) so the higher the attack value is, the higher the chance is, that u hit your target. If she only had a 10 she would miss 50% of the time. if she had a 19, she would hit 95% of the time.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Maybe "expert" is quite too much, but she isn't that bad for a beginner :)

Blaen the Noble

Is there no combat help?

Postby Blaen the Noble » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Sorry Guys and Gals,

I am confused! So our Layariel is going to miss 30% of the time? Whether a beginner or not that hardly qualifies her as a marksman. I there no way to adjust your roll?

The Quick Start booklet does not explain Advantages, Disadvantages or Special Abilities? Could any of those aid her in her marksmanship? Something like Sense of Range or Nimble?

Your ever luvin buddy,
John

Teekayy

Postby Teekayy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:18 pm

There are many modificators for hitting an enemy. Like distance, sight, movement, size of object to hit. If youre the gamemaster and dont have the official modificator rules here, just adjust her modificator as u see fit with common sense (an large immobile object which is near is much easier to hit than a flying bird, which is far away for example).

Blaen the Noble

Character Sheets?

Postby Blaen the Noble » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:48 pm

I just realized that have have another problem! I have no character sheets! I have all the relevant stats but I need somewhere to put them. I'd rather not give newbies sheets that have tons of skills that they have no (SP's)in. Is there somewhere on the net that has blank sheets? Is there somewhere that has explanations of advantages disadvantages and special abilities?

Just want to thank all responders for their help!

Your ever luvin buddy, John

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”