Coming from D&D to TDE

julianwolfe

Re: Coming from D&D to TDE

Postby julianwolfe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:09 pm

thebwt wrote:
julianwolfe wrote:It should be noted that TDE is more frontloaded math than 3.x D&D, and also more about skills. Rounds are limited to one action and a move.

That may be an oversimplification. It has one primary action and one free action. That free action can be used to do a variety of things. So it's very similar to 3.x and even 4th

The frontloaded math isn't an oversimplification.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Warden wrote:I've been watching this 'how to play' video by Orkenspalter TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil-ODb-muY

Shields can take damage? That I like! Nice and crunchy

Right, they have structure points, kind of LP for armor.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:42 am

thebwt wrote:Howdy!

I've played every D&D edition except 5th, but I've read some of the rules and I think I can safely say TDE is more crunchy than D&D 5th. It's on par or slightly less crunchy than D&D 3rd (and it's derivatives).

Imho when you can handle D&D 3E/Pathfinder or 4E then you can handle TDE 5E as well.

But comparison with D&D in general are somewhat hard to make. When I compare it with D&D 5E then TDE 5E indeed looks more complex at first look but there is the thing that complexity in D&D tends to ramp up in level especially for spell casters. TDE complexity is more like a barrier. Initially higher but then it mostly stays that way. So that complexity comparisons gets increasingly blurry even with D&D 5E.

With the notable exception of D&D 4E high level play in D&D tends to become very complex especially for the DM as the high level spells tend to wreck havoc with certain kinds of adventures. TDE with it's much more flat power development of characters doesn't suffer from that break down syndrome in high level play that for example plagues Pathfinder.

The difference between the systems and the different kind of play they encourage will become obvious when more adventures get translated.

Warden

Postby Warden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for the insight Flash

Warden

Postby Warden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am

Not sure where I read it, but I saw that TDE 5ed has quite a lot of errata. I'm wondering if this, coupled with an English translation, will render the game overly complicated to learn.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 am

Warden wrote:I've been watching this 'how to play' video by Orkenspalter TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil-ODb-muY

Shields can take damage? That I like! Nice and crunchy

Its not even very complicated. There is a combat maneuver to damage shields and some spells and similar effects can damage shields. A shield isnt something that is made for eternity. Better bring a spare one, cause every big creature will rip it apart in 2-3 strikes. One of our fighters had to learn that the hard way. His Flail isnt really made for parrying.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:11 am

In the first PDF maybe.
The updated PDF will be released any day and the printed book will also benefit from those corrections.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:12 am

Warden wrote:Not sure where I read it, but I saw that TDE 5ed has quite a lot of errata. I'm wondering if this, coupled with an English translation, will render the game overly complicated to learn.

Not really. The German first print had about seven pages of errata. Only three of them was real errata.
The rest was a FAQ, a added short story and some newly added rules for monsters and magical analysis.

The English version has the German errata already put in and the backers got a very fast translation that had some editing passes left.
We probably will get an updated PDF soon and the real release in a few days will have a lot less errata.

Errata free it probable won't be (no 400+ ages product will ever be) but my guess is will be on a comparable level to D&D 3E/4E level when WotC still bothered to do it in a proper way.

Warden

Postby Warden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks all for the information - I think I'd like to GM TDE5 sometime in the future

I'm hoping that it's not just the core rulebook that gets translated though. TDE has 31 years of setting material and it would be a shame not to be able to access that in English.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56 am

Warden wrote:Thanks all for the information - I think I'd like to GM TDE5 sometime in the future

I'm hoping that it's not just the core rulebook that gets translated though. TDE has 31 years of setting material and it would be a shame not to be able to access that in English.

You will probably not get most of the old stuff, maybe the big iconic campaigns one day, but the new Edition will give you more than you need to be playing for years. Almanach, Martial Compendium, Bestiary, Magic I + II, Clerics I + II, probably a 2d Compendium, dozens of adventures with at least one big campaign (theatre knights , 6 books), several novels...
If there are enough people interested in TDE, you will get everything the german community will get, and TDE usually has a lot of new stuff every year

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”