Drawn out fights

Warden

Drawn out fights

Postby Warden » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:02 pm

If a defender rolls to defend, and both the attacker and defender have high scores, say, 15, won't that make for long drawn out battles?

Flash

Re: Drawn out fights

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Warden wrote:If a defender rolls to defend, and both the attacker and defender have high scores, say, 15, won't that make for long drawn out battles?

Sure but the only way parry gets that high in TDE 5 is with a shield. Shield Splitter, Feint and the time honoured TDE tradition of ganging up are the techniques of choice to speed the whole thing up.... ;)

Teekayy

Postby Teekayy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Yep, but that's only for one on one fights, without magic help. That's why in movies and even in real fights a one on one swordfight with two good fighters can take a bit. :P
So you need to overpower one in numbers, or use special abilities like feints, or get magic help (status inflictions).

Warden

Postby Warden » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 pm

That makes sense

Do damage dice rolls explode? Meaning, if you roll the maximum on a damage dice, you re roll and add to the first roll?

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

double post
Last edited by Flash on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Warden wrote:That makes sense

Do damage dice rolls explode? Meaning, if you roll the maximum on a damage dice, you re roll and add to the first roll?

No but you can do critical hits that do double damage. Also there are various combat techniques that increase damage.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:21 pm

This kind of systems have this "quirk". Over time defense tends to nullify a relevant percentage of the attacks, no matter how low your roll on to hit is or how high your skill is, or the differential between your attack success and the defenses success. This tends to prolong, in some cases a lot, fights on a one to one basis.

There are several ways to obviate to this. One of my personal favorites it´ s to address this in terms of comparable Quality Levels between the attack and the defense. Another option is to link the crit rate/mechanic to the skill level of the fighter. In this case higher skill fighters will have an advantage since they will score a crit more often which could only be defended by an opposite crit from the target of the attack. A lot of systems have this mechanic, but mainly percentual base systems.

Another approach, complementary or not, is to introduce mechanics that enable the attacker to overcome the defense by taking certain combat options. Feint is a classical one. (not long ago I designed a feint mechanic for a extraordinaire combat system to apply it in my games). TDE has a couple of options that do help here. The problem, from where I stand, is that the approach is wrong in one key aspect. Whereas other games consider this combat moves, which anyone could use, in TDE you have to buy them like a skill or a special ability. So unless you bought "Feint" with AP, or other ability that helps draw the combat to a quicker end, you may be in for a long time. (Even basic options like defensive stances, in this case named "defensive Posture" can only be used if you "bought" it).

Nborys

Postby Nborys » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

I've found in life that One on One fights do take longer because you are able to concentrate on defending against a single foe and it often comes down to luck and conditioning to determine the winner when both are closely matched.

Which makes me think that maybe you should start a counter in every fight adding levels of fatigue (encumbrance will work in a pinch) for every Con (or maybe 1/2 con) rounds the fight runs.

Warden

Postby Warden » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 am

Nborys wrote:I've found in life that One on One fights do take longer because you are able to concentrate on defending against a single foe and it often comes down to luck and conditioning to determine the winner when both are closely matched.

Which makes me think that maybe you should start a counter in every fight adding levels of fatigue (encumbrance will work in a pinch) for every Con (or maybe 1/2 con) rounds the fight runs.

Good idea

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 pm

There will be only few examples oft defense of 15 plus. Basically only shieldfighters and some demons. Most will have a def of 8-12 which dont prolong fights that mich (a 4th ed fighter could get way beyond 20) and a few Hits will trigger pain which again reduces defense. So once you hit hard it gets easier. I play this edition for more than a year and long (ish) battles did only happen once : a duel of 2 very skilled fighters (with damn lucky rolls)

edit: i suggest you give the RAW a shot before you burden yourself with a complicated fatigue system ;)

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”