Aventurian Secret Services

HEX the Dark

Re: Aventurian Secret Services

Postby HEX the Dark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Uriel718 wrote:
HEX the Dark wrote:I asked around in the community and it seems everyone says: no.
The Inquisition follows the principles of Praios and would never hide themselves or apply shadowy tactics to get results - at least not in the official canon. If you want to play them like that, go ahead.

From the core rules it seems that a covert shadowy organization of Praios blessed ones, or other agents, would have to follow the "old ways":

"In the past, Praiotes reputedly desired only to enrich
themselves and interpreted the law however they
deemed fit, brutally punishing even the pettiest crimes.
Surely, some Blessed of Praios still think like this
, but
most Praiotes commit themselves to order and try to
bring justice that is pleasing unto Praios to the people."

Of course, this would in no way be supported by the official church of Praios. And that would make them a criminal organization or a cult, and not a secret service of any kind, although obviously they themselves may believe otherwise.

The difference is radical Followers of Praios will overshoot in the Principles, but never abandon them. Hiding and lying about oneself are not overzealous, but going directly against their faith and the basic principles.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:28 am

Uriel718 wrote:
HEX the Dark wrote:I asked around in the community and it seems everyone says: no.
The Inquisition follows the principles of Praios and would never hide themselves or apply shadowy tactics to get results - at least not in the official canon. If you want to play them like that, go ahead.

From the core rules it seems that a covert shadowy organization of Praios blessed ones, or other agents, would have to follow the "old ways":

"In the past, Praiotes reputedly desired only to enrich
themselves and interpreted the law however they
deemed fit, brutally punishing even the pettiest crimes.
Surely, some Blessed of Praios still think like this
, but
most Praiotes commit themselves to order and try to
bring justice that is pleasing unto Praios to the people."

Of course, this would in no way be supported by the official church of Praios. And that would make them a criminal organization or a cult, and not a secret service of any kind, although obviously they themselves may believe otherwise.

This path may just as well lead to them to just believe to follow praios. its a slippery slope to worshipping demons or the nameless one in disguise.
The Text passage probably refers to the Priest-Emperors of times past, they were an evil bunch of fanatics.

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm guessing that the remaining secret services:

• The "Thorns of the Rose", a network of agents working for the Church of Rahja
  • The "Secret Order of the Dark Eye to Punin", a group of magical advisors to empress Rohaja. Less a secret service and more a kind of (more or less effective) clairvojance council.
  • The Velvet Gloves, a group of spies working for the famed traitorous Reichserzmarschall and late Heptarch Helme Haffax
  • The Newsagency Nanduria, a kind of private information agency not only trading in pressreleases and newspaper articles.

Aren't as well known compared to DSS, IGIA & Hand of Boron, given that their not mentioned in the core rules spy section. So, while I'd like to know most about the Thorns of the Rose, if others are better known, we can go with them.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I'd argue that they're all hardly known (they might be the biggest ones, though).
The core rules just give the very very basic infos. The info's you need to play.

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Have we already gone through all the knowledge about Aventurian secret services, that people in this forum have? If so, it's a shame that we weren't able to go through all the known secret services, but I'm grateful for getting as much knowledge as I did. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:33 am

They're not really my special field of expertise, sorry.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 am

I can not remember that you ever say thank you. :|

It is work to write down all this information you want and I don't have time the last days.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Trajkov

Postby Trajkov » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Morgoth! I really appreciate all of this. The books do a good job of leaving it pretty open-ended to the GM, but it is nice to know some background about what is already established in the world. It makes building your own stuff a bit more grounded and less prone to faults in logic. :D

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 pm

It is a pleasure for me to help the community. And a "thank you" shows me, that someone appreciates the done work. But I don't see a chance to post further secret services in the next time. I work from 7 am till 10 pm every day in the next 3 weeks. After that I don't have fun to go the pc to do this. Maybe.. when I get free time.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”