Aventuria or Arkania (and Astral Energy vs Arcane Energy)

Morgoth

Aventuria or Arkania (and Astral Energy vs Arcane Energy)

Postby Morgoth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 pm

So, the Realms of Arkania PC games (of the 90s) was my first exposure to The Dark Eye. They are in my opinion the best RPGs of all time, especially Star Trail. However, I am a bit confused about the name of the continent where the game takes place. Was it Arkania before 5e, and renamed to Aventuria for this edition? If so why? Arkania sounds cooler, to me at least.

Also, which edition renamed Astral Energy to Arcane Energy and why? Again, Astral Energy sounds so much better to me, and I will be using that name for AEs in my games.

MadBeard

Re: Aventuria or Arkania (and Astral Energy vs Arcane Energy)

Postby MadBeard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm

I don't know this for sure but I'll try to shed some light.

According to The Dark Eye wiki (and I saw it somewhere else but can't remember where), Aventuria was first known as Arkania

The Dark Eye is set in the fantasy realm of Aventuria. During the 1990s, it was first translated as "Arkania", but the name was later changed to one closer to the original German name. Aventuria is a continent of the planet Ethra (an anagram of "Earth", as the planet's name in the German edition, Dere, is an anagram of Erde, the German word for "Earth"). The other continents of Ethra are Myranor (also called "Gyldenland" in Aventuria), Uthuria and Vaestenland.

IIRC in 4ed there was Astral Energy so I guess that in 5ed they renamed into Arcane Energy
Last edited by MadBeard on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 am

Aventuria has pretty much always been known as such, at least in german. The name Arkania was originaly adapted for english translations, like the PC games - perhaps because it would be received better by an international audience. Ingame, the continent is named after Aves, half god of travel and exploration, patron god of adventurers and mythical progenitor of all aventurians (at least according to the twelvegods faith). The modern translation chose to stay closer to the original german names, also keeping the world named Dere.

Astral energy is still called exactly that in the current german edition, not sure why they changed that in english.

Lancaster91

Postby Lancaster91 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 pm

In germany it was always Aventuria (Aventurien in german) and Astral Energy (Astralenergie)
German TDE player (since 2010) and Larper (since 2008)

In darkness and despair - the light prevails!
Against witchcraft and lies - the light prevails!
With fire and sword - the light prevails!
LUX TRIUMPHAT!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”