Mage Guild questions

bluedragon7

Re: Mage Guild questions

Postby bluedragon7 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Then you have not played with that many people. I know quite a few that cite the “fantastic realism” of previous editions as their main attraction to TDE. It is one of the things distinguishing TDE from other RPGs and is deeply embedded in Aventuria. And part of that is, that you normally don’t learn a spell just overnight and without a proper teacher/book.
But the degree of detail required is something people easily disagree on and that’s why delegating it to optional rules is a good idea.
Last edited by bluedragon7 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 am

bluedragon7 wrote:But the degree of detail required is something people easily disagree on and that’s why delegating it optional rules is a good idea.

agree with.

thelordoftherats wrote:1) How long and what is the cost to learn new spells?
2) Can members of different orders learn spells at other academies? i.e. a Black Mage of Aran learning spells at a White mage academy in Nostria.
3) How do the other academies view each other politcally?

Are all questions answered or do you need further informations?
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 am

bluedragon7 wrote:Then you have not played with that many people. I know quite a few that cite the “fantastic realism” of previous editions as their main attraction to TDE.

I was forced to endure enough TDE 4/Myrannor to know that while that may true for the setting (The true strength of the game) but not for the rules of that edition (At best a mixed bag).

While AD&D II is still the system I played that got the most house rules TDE 4E easily takes first place as system where huge swats of rules flat out get ignored by groups. I have yet to see a group that actually plays TDE 4E with the full rule system. :lol:

But it best to not warm up that particular discussion. To TDE 5E's credit while still rules heavy its structured approach in basic, optional, focus I and focus II rules helps a lot and is probable the best and most important thing the new edition brought to the table.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am

Flash wrote:
I was forced to endure enough TDE 4/Myrannor to know that while that may true for the setting (The true strength of the game) but not for the rules of that edition
...and in the setting learning magic is a long and complicated process and a lot of people want to see that reflected in the game, even if that results in their own characters not being able to learn a specific spell right away.
A rare spell that you had to endure adventures to find a suitable teacher willing to teach you will feel much more like an achievement than just deciding that you now know what only a dozen spell casters in Aventuria know.
To TDE 5E's credit while still rules heavy its structured approach in basic, optional, focus I and focus II rules helps a lot and is probable the best and most important thing the new edition brought to the table.
That is true, 4th edition knew a lot of rules that should have been optional and some optional rules that affected the game balance massively depending on your usage.
In the end 5th edition will offer even more rules than 4th did but each gaming group will be in a much better position to decide which of those they want to use in addition to the core rules.

thelordoftherats

Postby thelordoftherats » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

bluedragon7 wrote:Are all questions answered or do you need further informations?

All the questions are answered. Thank you to all who responded. I am a 30+ year veteran GM of other RPGs running Dark Eye this year for the first time. In addition, I am from the United States. So, I am trying to capture the feel and intent of the rules and setting with only having the existing English content. I like to have a little realism in my fantasy games but I don't want it to cease being a game and turn into work. My group and I are still getting a feel for the world setting and trying to adjust to it.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 am

I wish you the best with TDE. It's a very awesome setting. I love it much.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

thelordoftherats wrote: In addition, I am from the United States. So, I am trying to capture the feel and intent of the rules and setting with only having the existing English content.

You should be aware that TDE here in Germany occupies the same place as D&D does pretty much in the rest of the world. And it easily has as many or perhaps even more different play-styles as D&D has.

So capturing the exact feel and intend might be a little complicated as we here in Germany are still discussing that topic often
rather vigorously. :lol:

As soon (it can only take a few decades more) as we German long-time grognards are in agreement here
we totally will offer you help.....

Fun aside. Have fun with the game. It is nice to see that our favourite fantasy stomping grounds are getting many international newcomers now. :)

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am

Well it definetely has a more common feel than D&D, at least the impression i got from american gaming groups is that they tend to homebrew WAAAAY more than the average TDE player, who usually likes the detailed, living setting and doesnt change it radically or use a complete unique world of their own (which would probably feel quite shallow in comparison i think). D&D is mostly a set of rules, TDE is mainly the world.

thelordoftherats

Postby thelordoftherats » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

We are trying to play The Dark Eye in the spirit that it was created in. This is why I tend to post a lot of questions about the game and world. There is a bit of a culture shift in the world setting that takes getting used to. It is more restrictive in regards to allocating money and items, and the goals for characters have to be thought differently. The world economy is more barter than coin, at least in the Warring kingdoms, and this makes our group having to adjust a bit. Rather than earning a bunch of gold per adventure, they are earning reputation and favors, with just enough silverthalers to comfortably buy food and drink and the occasional new weapon.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”