Viable professions for Elven PC's

Bosper

Re: Viable professions for Elven PC's

Postby Bosper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Extremely unlikely. Elves dont worship gods. They as a people have very bad experience with beings of power and they dont meddle in their affairs. So as long its not an elf that was brought up by humans, which is rare enough, i dont see it happen, those humans also must have had a reason to not see the opportunity of a definetely magical child becoming a mage.

Ruleswise you are paying a lot of AP for spellcasting, which you wont be able to use as rondranian or praios priest. The anti magic mindset of praios also makes it highly unlikely that they would ordain an elf.
Hesinde would be the only option thats not stretching the story too far. A city dewlling elve in the horasian empire could maybe be possible for a blessed one of hesinde. But on the other hand, the church of hesinde wouldnt want to waste his magical potential and suggest that he becomes a mage and then maybe join the church afterwards, as long as he isnt already skilled in elven magic.

Half elf might work with hesinde, rahja or phex or boron. Maybe even rondra but not very likely.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 am

You could argue that because the church of Praios would remove the magical ability by liturgical means, that you could get the AP for spellcaster refunded.
However I agree that it is a really really unlikely combination. As far as I recall there is only a single Elf in modern times known to be a blessed one and that lost a bet with Phex himself.
Thousands of years ago the high elves did have priests, though not of the twelve gods.
If you just want the elven looks, as usual for unconventional combinations it is better to use a half elf. That race would include for example a child of Elf and unmagic half elf that turns out to look very similar to an elf but not having magical abilities. This would still be way more likely than an Elf becoming a blessed one

antema

Postby antema » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for giving the general rule of thumb for elven blessed ones. I'd like to also ask for advice for the specific case of my PC.

The idea I had for a character was an elf who experienced a terrible lose at the hands of the forces of a particular Archdemon, and has since sworn vengeance against the very Archdemon whose forces injured her. So if the atrocity was committed by Thargunitoth's forces, than she would join Boron's church, or Hesinde's church if the evil forces served Amazeroth.

She would have the following negative traits: Maimed (haven't decided how badly), Negative Trait Vengeance, Obligation, Stigma (some kind of mark left by the demonic attack)

So a very tragic character is in the works. She would be a full elf. Haven't decided what kind of attack it was that injured her like this, but it would have to be pretty bad. At least her family must have been killed for her to decide to go on such a quest of Vengeance, that it would lead her to join the ranks of the God who opposes the Archdemon who injured her.

She wouldn't be an unpleasant person and she wouldn't be in any real hurry to get vengeance, as she knows that killing the grunts of the archdemon isn't going to be enough. So she has spent at least years planning her vengeance, but of course should someone mention archdemons, she would find it very difficult to not be vocal about her clear and true hatred for them.

So what kind of background prior to the demonic incident would be most fitting, and which church would most likely welcome this kind of a person, and would she have to be silent about her true motivations, or could she find Blessed Ones who would understand or even share her desires?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

Still very unlikely to try to find out which human god would be fitting , learn about it, start to worship it, join its ranks. None of these steps sound very elven. They got weapons, keen senses and magic, so why not rely on that and lose everything she learned to start over with just another set of supernatural powers? The line between god and archdemon is almost nonexistant for elves, since they feel betrayed by theirs.

Hesinde doesnt really do the vengeance thing. They fight it by learning useful ways to share with others. Boron would be fitting with the knights of golgari. But an elf that decides to lose its magic do join a god that she just discovered as what? an ally? and above all things becoming a knight is a thing unheard of. Devoting yourself to become a blessed one is more than a tool. If she doesnt fullheartly devote herself to the god, he probably just wouldnt give her the blessing at all.

In general the normal church of boron does accept spellcasters, they just have to swear an karmal oath to only use their magic to support their gods will. Breaking this oath marks you as a sinner/heretic which means no more karma and no benefits from other's chants. But vengeance isnt a motive that the church will like

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Vengeance is actually a trait of the archdaemonic enemy of Praios, so Vengeance would rather lead to a daemonic pact than becoming a blessed one.
In general there are different approaches how to view blessed ones. While many would accept that they are still human (elves in this case) and as such subject to the possibility to fail morally, when you receive the blessing the god will weight your soul and only accept those he deems worthy of his blessings.
As vengeance is not a personality trait any of the twelve god would view favourably a human (or elf) who is mainly driven by it would not become a blessed one. Indeed the other blessed ones training him/her would probably not even consider to perform that blessing ceremony to not insult or anger their god.
The nameless one however could make use of you and would even leave you with you full magical abilities. You would not be a hero anymore but your concept doesn’t sound like it anyway. However known elven worshippers of the nameless one tend to be elven vampires instead of blessed ones.
tl:dr
If you group is fine with it, go for it but it would not be a really plausible character in the dark eye background (except for the rare but plausible nameless worshipper)

antema

Postby antema » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Forgot to mention that she would have lost her magical abilities in the attack. There's no disadvantage for it, and there's really no need for it as all this happened in her background, and not during gameplay, but basically she got all the magical disadvantages from the attack (Decreased Arcane Power, Weak Astral Body, Weak Regeneration Arcane Energy). This left her in a weakened state, and regaining magical power was not an option, so she would turn to other sources of power.

Since Dark Eye elves can live for a millennia and don't really die from old age, but rather "when their purpose in life has been fulfilled and they each have their own purpose, which they learn during the course of their lives." Hunting down the spawn of the Archdemon who wronged her, and perhaps in time even taking the fight to the Archdemon himself, would be my elf's purpose in life.

So she would have the advantage of time on her side. I had thought that the tragedy would have taken place no more than a decade ago. She would have at least the following advantages: Socially Adaptable, Natural Orator, Inspire Confidence. And she would have pretty good social skills in general. Basically a master manipulator, but she would use those abilities only against demons and their followers or to gain power to oppose them. As is the case of joining the blessed ones.

So, could she, with enough time and skill, convince the blessed ones to accept her?

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Nothing is impossible but to be frank; playing a magically crippled elf that's a blessed one is like cutting your nose off in spite of your face. Spellcasters and Blessed Ones have many similar abilities and Spellcasters can splice into other traditions' spells and rituals where Blessed Ones can only use their god's liturgies and ceremonies and general ones, splicing is not possible for them.

You're better off going half-elf in this regard as an elf would take a huge stretch for lore. Elves dislike gods, especially ones that are not affiliated with them. Elven Spellweavers are not directly blessed by any deities but they are keepers of the old ways, a sort of lore keepers and sages within their culture, much like Blessed Ones of Hesinde in human culture.

That's just my 2 cents on the subject.
Canadian DSA/TDE player since 2017!

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 am

antema wrote:So, could she, with enough time and skill, convince the blessed ones to accept her?

Yes, she could deceive the blessed ones to train her and eventually present her to their god, who would then immediately see that her real reason for joining the ranks of the blessed ones is just to gain power instead of true devotion to the god itself.
Therefore the god would reject her.
With that even the nameless one would possibly reject her due to lack of devotion to him ( but might be impressed by her daring and decide to use her as a tool)
I can’t see any of the twelve gods or any of their allied half gods to accept such a person as blessed one.
They could overlook some personal flaws (as they know humans to not be perfect) but would never bless someone who is not devoted to them.
While I do believe a story can be made to justify an elf being a blessed one, yours unfortunately doesn’t work for me. It just does not feel plausible in the dark eye I come to know in the last 3 decades. But in the end you need to convince your GM, not me and looking just at the currently published material in English I don’t see an explicit restriction.

P.s. with that vengeance and deceit story the god would also reject a human applicant.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am

so in short:
if you really want to do it, do it. It seems like the contradiction to lore doesnt bother you too much. But if your GM accepts it he/she will have to take that streching of the lore into account for the rest of the campaign, changing it in several places several times. You should both actively consider this

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”