Question about the different Elven cultures

Bosper

Re: Question about the different Elven cultures

Postby Bosper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

zalamx wrote:I like the look of DSA/TDE's night elves (frankly like this name better than dark elves as they are clearly not dark-skinned), very exotic but could pass for a Firn or Glade elf around folks who are rather ignorant of what elves look like.

Sounds of the Night and Thunderwakes are new adventures for 5th ed.?

Yup Blades of the Night is quite new and Thunderwatch is the first part of a trilogy as far as i know.

And the Dark Elves/Night Elves/Shakagrae are playing a quite important role, especially in the first one, but also in the latter. They are definetely tied to the current metaplot and for the first time in a very long time took some major action.

And yes Alrik Aventurian usually cant tell elves apart, so night elf agents are a thing, especially in the north.

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm

I was hearing on an Orkenspalter video, that in this edition, Ulisses Spiele is revisiting a lot of characters from older editions, such as Pardona and her night elven minions.

It would be nice f some of the old adventures and campaign books, like the one where you travel all over Aventuria (3rd edition if I heard right), were revisited in 5th ed and translated to English and other languages.

The video in question is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUi0t0TJtBQ The Dark Eye Talk - Part 1: Markus Plotz and Ross Watson. (Sorry, I have no idea how to put the double-dot accent on the letter "'o" in Markus' last name)
Canadian DSA/TDE player since 2017!

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:17 am

The Phileasson Saga was just "recently" updated to 4th. This and the Borbarad campaign MIGHT be translated in the future, but not in the near future. There is lots to catch up first

And here is an o-Umlaut Öö for your future Plötz usage :P

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 am

Bosper wrote:The Phileasson Saga was just "recently" updated to 4th. This and the Borbarad campaign MIGHT be translated in the future, but not in the near future. There is lots to catch up first

And here is an o-Umlaut Öö for your future Plötz usage :P

Thanks for that, Bosper. :D

I do hope they at least get those adventures updated to 5th ed., I can try to translate them from there. Heck, it would be good practice for me learning German.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 am

Bosper wrote:
And yes Alrik Aventurian usually cant tell elves apart, so night elf agents are a thing, especially in the north.

Oh boy you'd be in for a surprise. True, the Dark Elves are not really common. I mean, elves in general aren't really common to begin with. But if there is a region where people know the Shakagra and can differentiate them from the Firnelves, then it's in the north. Because, you know, they bot live there, and one will kill you and the other won't and it's pretty good to know how to differentiate them. Even if it's just "this is the figure of one story and this one here sounds like the figure of another, darker story."

Considering them as a playable culture (I believe that's what the question hinted at)... yeah, no, they're not meant for that. They're even worse then Orcs in this regard.
With "Blades of the Night" you most likely could built one, yes (the Adventure was basically an excuse to fleshed out the culture of them by the author) but they're not really supposed to be playable characters.
They're bad. And I mean, really bad. They're basically physically disgusted by any non-shakagra, especially elves. They live in deep undersea cities, in pitch black darkness, except for some eery bioluminescent fungi and things. They don't really like fire and the sun harms them. At least the old generations. Because they're not "one people", there are several different "tribes" and actual different dark elves, since Pardona kept on creating and "optimizing" them. The culture is on the verge of a civil war between different believe systems (Pardona as a kind of prophet and one go compared to a more direct worship of the nameless one). They hate the other gods and think everyone else is inferior. And with hate not I just don't mean "don't like them" I mean hate hate, as in they will actively go out of their way to harm or desecrate ay references to other gods. Not to mention that they're slavers, and to the nice fun kind like Al'Anfa. If they catch you, the BEST that can happen to you is that you work till you die (considering the lack of light and food and the hard labor, that'll take a month max, usually) and that your body is then eaten by your fellow slaves. If you're exceedingly lucky or skilled, you might even be fed some eyeless deep see fish (raw). The worst would be that your body is turned to some monstrous diamond creature (or different parts of you into different monsters - while you're still alive of course) and your should to be sacrificed to the nameless one.

Even IF you could come up with a story that would make sense for your char to not be in their cities anymore, and you survive their persecution of you (they're not really the kind of people who'd shrug their shoulders to something like that), you'd still be in the middle of nowhere in the endless ice - which brings down even an Shakagra quite fast. Now if we say you'd make it into "civilized" territory (that means still something like the far north east of Canada or Greenland), you're still dead meat mostly. The Firnelves (and all other ones, too, because you're basically the embodiment of everything that's bad - badoc - to them) will kill you without a second guess, the Fjarninger (think Conan style barbarians) will definitively kill you, basically all settlers from the middle realm will kill you on sight as well, because nothing good ever came from a dark elves. You might have more luck with the Nivesen, because they're not great on killing people, but even there I wouldn't try my luck to hard. Oh and the Thorwalians will kill you, too, and they actually know about you because of the saga of Philleason.

If you'd somehow manage to come further to the south, you actually might have a chance to be not liked on sight (if you don't run into other elves, orks or any blessed ones - because you're still a being more or less directly made by the power of the nameless one), as people really don't know elves from one another. However, here you will have problems with basic living. Food, temperature, probably even the air you breath are either completely unknown to you and in many cases even harmful to you.

So yeah... until this changes (which MIGHT happen, as mentioned Pardona tries to improve her works all the time and the Shakagra are on the verge of civil war), they're not really playable.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Hex, I think you're kinda jumping the gun here. I never made any indications that I was planning on playing a Night Elf, I just wanted to know about them and any other Elven cultures that are not included in the core book just out of pure curiousity and love for this game. :)

I can see high elves being playable but they live mostly on the Islands in the Mists (Inseln im Nebel) which seems like a good place for them to live in isolation and not be bothered with events in Aventuria.

Night Elves and their culture draw a lot of parallels with D&D's Drow Elves, albeit Night Elves are pale rather than pitch black in colour. Is it possible for a "redeemable" Night Elf? Sure but extremely, extremely unlikely just like Drow. I'd just like to have some back story on them so I'm not talking out my butt and making things up.

Anyhow, enough of that. I see quite a few other Elven cultures on the DSA wiki but I neither know what their names would be in English nor know which continent they hail from.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 am

Well, maybe I did, i am sorry. Bad experiances, don't blame me, after like the fith dark elf dragon born ninja pirate you slowly become quite tired...

The 'redeemable' night elf? Well maybe in the future. There are some npcs who kinda open up for the world outside, but out of selfish motives, really. The problems that occur I have listed above.so far, lorewise, you're out of luck

Anyway. High elves aren't really playable, either. They are, all in all, very powerful and old and don't really care about mortals anymore. They're kinda like the elves of middle earth after they crossed the sea, if not even more elusive.

Then there are, or rather were, the Beni Geraut Schie, the desert elves, who have left for the islands in the mist (or isles in the fog? I don't know if there's an official translation yet. What sounds more mystical?). There are only very few left in aventurien. They were basically written out of it about ten years ago. They're unplayable because there are bo rules for them.

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 am

Fair enough, I figured the High Elves were quite aloof and disinterested in events outside the Isles in the Mist (This sounds better than fog, take note Ulisses Spiele ;) ). It would take away their mystique if they became a commonplace player character culture.

I sure hear you about bad experiences, too many people I've played D&D with wanted to be a Drow Ranger and copy Drizzt Do'Urden exactly.

I love playing Orcs but I fully understand why they make poor player characters, just like in D&D their culture is simply too different and very incompatible with races like Humans, Elves and Dwarves. I can always play a Half-Orc instead (if I wanted to) and not cause massive headaches for my GM and fellow players.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 am

Orks make better player characters then elves, in my opinion, because even of they are strange and "the enemy" for most, they are quite common throughout Aventuria and they are way more grounded with how they see the world.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 am

HEX the Dark wrote:
Bosper wrote:

Oh boy you'd be in for a surprise. True, the Dark Elves are not really common. I mean, elves in general aren't really common to begin with. But if there is a region where people know the Shakagra and can differentiate them from the Firnelves, then it's in the north. Because, you know, they bot live there, and one will kill you and the other won't and it's pretty good to know how to differentiate them. Even if it's just "this is the figure of one story and this one here sounds like the figure of another, darker story."

until recently close to nobody in the north ever met them. Especially not humans. They rarely might have seen an elf at all. And most of the plot around blades of the night is woven around shakagra posing as firnelves to gather information. For a human settler there is close to no way to tell both kinds of elf apart, except that he probably never heard of night elves before. If you go a bit further south chances of being exposed are close to zero.

They also do not all live in subnautical cities anymore since some younger groups have been driven out, living in the open, not dying from petty things like cold.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”