Name Translation Help Needed

Schlake

Name Translation Help Needed

Postby Schlake » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:55 pm

We played out first game a week ago. I gave the GM the maps someone here suggested from the German Fanprojeckt, so the names on the maps are in German. I ordered the German/English dictionary a German coworker suggested, but it isn't here yet, so I'm mostly using google for this. The GM started us out traveling from Vallusa to Fischbach.

Fischbach seems easy, when it comes into English it will almost certainly be called Fishbrook.

But just north of Fishbrook is Usnadamm, on the Usna river just as it joins up with the Misa river. The damm part seems obvious, it's a dam! But I can't figure out what usna means in German. Google tells me Usna is Croatian for lip, which might make sense for a dam, but that's stretching it. Will this river probably still be named Usna when translated to English?

The Misa river doesn't seem to be German either. There is a Misa river in Latvia, or it means mass in a few languages I think. That one did remain Misa when translated to English since it appears that way on the English verison of the map. But where did the word come from?

A little further west we come to Schilfsend. Something to do with sending reeds? This one I don't know, but I bet it will have a more English name when translated.

Derdingen will be the next stop. If that means something in German I can't even guess as to what. What might this place be called in English?

Our ultimate goal is Perainefurten. The English map shows that is Perrainford.

There is a nearby placed called Haderstein (I think, the font is a little hard to read on the terrain). Google tells me that is the Hader stone. I suppose Haderstone could be an English name?

There is also Firunsbrunn. Again, no real clue what that might mean in German, or how to relate it into English. EDIT: Firun is a god in Aventuria, isn't he? So, Brunn?

Another place is Nordweide. Northpasture in English seems right?

Ritterfurt might end up being Knightsford?

Google says Koppingen is Kopp Founded. No sure what to make of that one...

This is a lot of posting already, so I think I'll stop now, even though I'm not out of names yet. We probably won't play again until mid or late July, so I have time to write up my adventure notes later.
--Schlake

HEX the Dark

Re: Name Translation Help Needed

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Usna and Misa don't have a meaning in german (that I am aware of), they're just names, so you can keep them.

Schilfsend: Schilf = Reed, so it's Reeds' End or something like that.

Derdingen again is just a name. If you want to be really special: Der = The, maskuline form, Ding = thing, although "-ingen" is a pretty typical ending for towns names in Germany.

Haderstein: Hader = strife, discord, variance (in biblical terms). Stein = Stone. So "Strifestone" seems reasonable.

Firunsbrunn: Firun = god of hunt, winter, ice etc. "Brunn" is a short, older and literary version of "Brunnen", which means well or fountain. So Firun's Well could be a possible translation, or something along that line.

Nordweide: Nord = north, Weide: pasture or maybe field, so Northpasture is correct. Weide can also relate to the type of tree, so it could be Northwillow, too.

Ritterfurt = Knightsford, you're correct here.

Koppingen: see above (the -ingen part). I think you could leave it like it is. "Kopp" is also a dialectic word for "Kopf" = head.

I'd recommend you two things.
If you don't know one part of the word, just google it and see what the image search gives you (e.g. for Schilf).
There is a rather good translation side www1.dict.cc for german <-> english translation. The entries are managed by a community and usually quite right. Also, linguee.de gives you translations from websites, so you can see the word within a context.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks!
--Schlake

bern

Postby bern » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:59 am

Deringen might be a wordplay based on a real name. TDE is full of those. There is a real town called Erdingen. Erd sounds like Erde wich means Earth. The 'Earth' of Aventuria is called Dere in German so they might have changed the name to Deringen. A English translation might be Ethringen as Ethra is the English name for Dere. That is just my guess.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm

ha, nice thought! That could really be and is so logical
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:36 pm

In TDE 5 Dere stays Dere, so it would also be Deringen :)

bern

Postby bern » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:19 am

GTStar wrote:In TDE 5 Dere stays Dere, so it would also be Deringen :)

Thanks for the correction. I guess I must have read the word Dere several times in the English rules and the almanac but never realized that it is no longer Ethra.

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am

While waiting for the alamanc to be published I bought some of the older material in English that I could find, and it is a little confusing to keep some of that straight.
--Schlake

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am

What older material did you find?
I have not seen a comprehensive list of what is out there.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”