Uthuria and the other continents

DreadDomain

Uthuria and the other continents

Postby DreadDomain » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:47 am

Having Uthuria mentionned in one of the Heralds made me wonder about the status of the other continents, Ulisses intentions regarding potential publication and all around feel of said continents. My understanding is:

Uthuria
Was published by Ulisses under DSA4 and is the continent with the most interaction with Aventuria. The continent brings a New World feel to the table inclusive of native tribes with strange cults and colonial adventures.

Myranor
Published under licence by Uhrwerk Verlarg for DSA4. Is a huge continent with a high fantasy gonzo feel to it.

Tharun
Published under license by Uhrwerk Verlarg for DSA4. Based on my memory of the first edition of l'Oeil Noir, Tharun is part of a huge archipelago inside of hollow Dere. High fantasy (but not as gonzo as Myranor) and higher power than Aventuria with a somewhat asian feel to it.

Riesland
Never published except for material produced by fans. A sword and sandals (or sorcery) feel to it perhaps?

Any info available for these continents? Any publishing plans? I suspect not since there is already a huge volume of info to cover on Aventuria only.

Biest

Re: Uthuria and the other continents

Postby Biest » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 am

Uthuria indeed is the "New World" for an age of exploration feel and themes of colonialism. So far it had tribal cultures of different inspirations and a big Aztek and mesoamerican inspired realm. It is the continent most linked to Aventuria and developed by Ulisses, which means it is the most likely to show up. There allready is one adventure set in Uthuria as part of the Hero's Work line.

In the compendium there are rules for Uthurian and Myranian languages and special abilities you can purchase for an aventurian character to know about a different continent.

So far your ideas about the continents seem about right.

I could answer specific questions about Uthuria if you have them, being the only one of the continents I have played and read the material about.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

The Riesland (or Rakshazar) is indeed a sword and sorcery setting east of Aventuria (at least that is the common impression). It is completely left open for fan interpretation. The biggest being the Rieslandprojekt ( http://www.rakshazar.de) which was published with help of Ulisses in print form (but only a small quantity) the pdfs are free to download though. I recently joined the project and will help to convert it to 5th edition. Maybe i might even talk with the others about translating important parts, but not soon, i got quite some work at the moment.
The core elements of the Riesland are : a bit more of a Conan the Barbarian feeling. Humans/Orks being the smallest race. More lizards/ lizardfolk. Ancient bronze-age civilizations struggling after a huge magic catastrophy that tore apart the fabric of magic on the continent, making casting spells way more dangerous (concept of "critical essence" the more AE you spend and the quicker you do so, the more likely something bad will happen).
But as i said the continent is not planned to be used by TDE officially. There are a few hints here and there but thats it. If you want to travel there, do what every you like. its intended as a big white spot on the map.

DreadDomain

Postby DreadDomain » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 am

Bosper wrote:
Humans/Orks being the smallest race. More lizards/ lizardfolk.

Do you mean lizardfolks are more numerous than human? That's not the impression I got from the skim I gave the supplement... but I don't read german...

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:12 am

More than on the other continents is what i wanted to say, they are not as rare and there are a few races. And also more scaly animals. For example the role of birds in nature is mainly filled with winged lizards. Thats at least the design idea of the project.

DreadDomain

Postby DreadDomain » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Biest wrote:
I could answer specific questions about Uthuria if you have them, being the only one of the continents I have played and read the material about.

Coming back to this thread, what Aventurian powers are involved in Uthuria? What are they doing there?

What are the main political entities in Uthuria?

Also my impression is that Uthuria is a big continent and it is still quite open.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:59 pm

DreadDomain wrote:Any info available for these continents? Any publishing plans? I suspect not since there is already a huge volume of info to cover on Aventuria only.

Well, when it comes to Myranor and Tharun you have to ask clockwork publishing.

They are working on a new Myranor rulebook compatible with TDE 5, but I don't know how far they are with that.
The setting books could be translated and published rather easy, imho as the first one contains almost no rules.
Book 2, already in the making, should be even containing less rules or no rules, since they haven't transfered the rules from 4.1 to 5 so far.
I am not in that close contact to them, but at least they made a kickstarter for the english "Space 1889" RPG.

Riesland will never be touched by Ulisses, as they stated this official in the past.
If there are enough fans to translate the existing and upcoming stuff from the fansite rakshazar.de, feel free to do so. :)

Uthuria is a bit different.
I doubt that there will a lot things coming up for that in next month or even years, as almost everyone at the DSA/TDE Redax is committed to TDE5 currently, and will be for a longer time.

Sidenote: The three released Uhturia adventure/backgorund books didn't even scratch the contintent, so it's unsure what other people, monsters, civilizations, technics this continent hides.

Biest

Postby Biest » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 pm

DreadDomain wrote:
Biest wrote:

Coming back to this thread, what Aventurian powers are involved in Uthuria? What are they doing there?

What are the main political entities in Uthuria?

Also my impression is that Uthuria is a big continent and it is still quite open.

Al'Anfa has a colony there. The Horasiate has one too, as does the Stoerrebrandt merchant house. Brabak has colonies on important islands in the southern sea, so they have trade interest in Uthuria and other faction do have to use their ports. I would say Al'Anfa is in the best position and profiting the most.

There is an aztec like culture the Xoartal that is pretty important in Uthuria and in contact with the al'anfanian colony. The Nanshemu are humans with greenish skin and a connection to water, they are in a religious conflict with the church of Efferd. There also is a vampiric race of winged feline beastmen and giant spiders both serving the Nameless One.
There are also different tribes human and lizardman, birdpeople but those have not been too big singular factions yet. Still they do have local influence.
There are also undiscovered places and people.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 am

There is a hint to another big culture there, which seems to be a bit more (to me) babylonic. But there has been very little on that. Just an unfinished storyline as cliffhanger ending of a novel .

DreadDomain

Postby DreadDomain » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 am

Thanks guys, interesting stuff (searching for Xoartal on Google brings up nice pictures). A Babylonian is also intriguing.

I assume Uthuria is a much bigger continent than Aventuria?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”