Aventurian Secret Services

Uriel718

Aventurian Secret Services

Postby Uriel718 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 pm

There are several secret services in Aventuria, but thus far there is barely any information about them in any of the English translated books.

There are the Imperial-Garethian Information Agency (IGIA) of the Middenrealm, the Hand of Boron from Al’Anfa, and the Directorate for Special Affairs (DSS) of the Horasian Empire. And I'm guessing several others.

What I'd like to know is: Basic information about each of the secret services, their duties, their national & international power and influence, and how could players join one of these secret services?

There also seems to exist some kind of inquisition (within the Praios church?), but is this an organization in itself, with active members like a secret service? Are there other magic or church related secret services?

HEX the Dark

Re: Aventurian Secret Services

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Well they wouldn't be very secret if we would know something about them, would they? ;)
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 am

well... That's a lot of text, what you want. :)

Let's start with the IGIA. But please look at me, if I make the one or the other mistake in the translation. All informations are from the book "Auf gemeinsamen Pfaden (Q09, DSA4.1)"

IGIA
News service, demographic institute and secret service of the middenrealm, network of rumors and secrets Dexter Nemrods. All this was the IGIA, the Imperial Garethische Information Agency. In the year of fire (1027 BF), it broke into different groups of faction, who, with varying enthusiasm, worked more or less in favor of the empire.

Symbol: Golden sealing ring with turquoise in gripping form and the ornate letter RD
Election motto 'Regnum defende' (bosp. 'Protect the realm')
Influence: enormous (still)
Financial strength: very large
Members: until 1027 BF ca 600, but 300 are inactive

The work as an agent requires secrecy, regular reports, and carries with it appropriate obligations and principles, but does not necessarily contradict a life as an adventurer. It also taught a basic education. These usually included coverin, lying, eavesdropping, shadowing, as well as basic knowledge of cryptography, self-defense and breaking in and out. The IGIA have nowadays only very few members, but the young Reichsgeheimrat (sorry I don't know a translation... I mean the boss of this organisation) is quite willing to go to the same people again and again, if they do their work well, and to take them sooner or later into his service.

A splinter group of IGIA is "die letzte Schwadron" (the last squadron). They consider the IGIA to be too weak and indecisive, often using criminal means.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks for replies. It certainly is a lot of information that I'm requesting, but I'm in no real rush. Mistakes and speculation are also understandable and acceptable, respectively.

I'm also adding one extra question concerning all the secret services. James Bond factor?

Meaning that can, or do, the members act in anyway similar to James Bond of MI6? I'm sure that most players joining a secret service like faction in any tabletop RPG are expecting at least some 007 shit to go down. However the question isn't limited to just PCs, but also NPCs. As a GM myself, I would love to play a 007 style NPC, and I know my players would also like to have an ally like that.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am

one day one secret service :). Tomorrow the next one comes.

Of course you could play an IGIA Agent like James Bond. They often had secret agents out there, who manipulated the rich and influential. They have a secret speak, e.g. "marten" means "there is a danger for an informant". The IGIA give his agents information, money or equipment. Depending on the important of the quest it could also be nice and rare equipment. As an intelligence service, the IGIA has some special rights in the Middlerealms, even if most of them are only used in an emergency. Since Perval's time, it has the right to question and fix everyone, even high-ranking nobles, priests and magicians, even if in this case the church or guild, or the feudal lord, is to be informed after a period of at least three days.

In addition, they may enter and search every house, confiscate any item, and instruct to each guardian. However, the agent has to drop his cover in order to be able to appeal officially to these rights. And if you do it too often or for personal reasons, you will soon be exposed to an investigation by your own colleagues :). Whom is allowed to use wrong names and to wear weapons. Contrary to other rumors, the KGIA does not have the right to murder or disappear people.
In principle, the IGIA is not always interested in what is permitted by law. And because the most of the people do not know exactly what the IGIA is allowed to do and what is not, it is extremely rare a problem for agents to appeal to 'special rights of the agency'.

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 am

Perhaps the "one day one secret service" goal was a tad too ambitious. No matter, I'm in no real rush. If I may suggest the next secret service to go through, I'd like to know more about the Hand of Boron.

I bought the German book Boron Vademecum and translated it using translation software, but the end result is nowhere near perfect:

The Hand of Boron

"Every death is boronic Wille - And the hand boronic enforced his will. "
-Wahlspruch Hand Boron

Many deluded they are called in their simplicity simple assassin, but they do their true core so wrong. For the hand Boron is more than a bunch Auftragsmör-of how he has teamed up on Maraskan or Fasar. The hand is the punitive arm of the Church of Eternal in Al'Anfa and they do nothing less than to carry out the Lord's will. Whenever the hand sends someone in Boron halls or even a sinner in the Never-derhöllen, it does but always boronic work. Doubt to silence, schließlI intended only the will of the Lord, when our time has come. Such truth is you at least one sister in faith from Al'Anfa explain.

And it's not heresy, if it is a man-takes out fathomed the will of the Eternal to have? Is not it presumptuous if he accepts that task, which is allei plans the Lord reserved? Is not it much more of a very worldly desire of very secular petitioners, to enforce them astray? So there is certainly a faith-brother tell you from Punin. But to you it will be to choose between the two or to recognize your own truth. Little can I write to you about the hand and its structure because of the religious acts in secret, as its nature probably the bes thequivalent. However, it wants the rumor is not silent, for around five centuries stood before the black widow of the hand, but surely that's no way. Recognize you're not going to hand their victims does. Who they have conveyed to Boron that you acknowledge the small Obsi-dianhand they leave with him.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

harhar yes... it was a bit... too optimistic. The problem is I bought a house 1 week ago and have now much do renovate. The next secret service comes tomorrow. As you wish, I would introduce you the "Hand Borons" ('hand of boron").

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 am

All informations are from the book "Verschworene Gemeinschaften (Q08, DSA4.1)"

Die Hand Borons
The Hand Borons are assassins from Al'Anfa. It is considered to be one of the most dangerous assassins of Aventuria, but its greatest strength is the fact that in Al'Anfa it can take advantage of the resources of the Temple Mount, and of the Boron Church and the High Council of the Twelve. The hand probably has about two dozen active assassins, who are trained in the labyrinth under the Temple Mount. Among her most competent assassins is the Black Widow.

The main task of the Hand Borons is the protection of the Patriarch and Al'Anfas. They do it not only through assassinations, but also through diplomatic missions (scattering rumors, bribery, espionage, etc.). In every Boron temple of the Al'Anfa rite, there is at least one contact man working for the Hand.

Symbol: Five-ply hand made of obsidian (to be found at victims, if the hand insists on being associated with the act), otherwise the hand-borons actually dispense with any symbolism
Election motto 'Each death is the will of boron and the Hand executes this will'
Influence: very large (in Al'Anfa - but the farther away from the city the lower
Financial strength: very large
Members: ca. 30 assassins, 30 pupil, 500 stooges
Main Branches: Al'Anfa, Mengbilla, Thalusa, Punin, Rashdul, Sinoda, Kuslik and Vinsalt

The strict commitment to Boron and the organization makes it rather unlikely that a member of a heroic group will also be a member of the Hand Borons. If it does happen, an agent of the hand will almost never reveal to his friends. He will remain in his role, whether as a spice merchant, tailor or Boron priest. In spite of his reprehensible methods, he may be on the right side, especially when it comes against enemies of his God.

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 am

The Hand of Boron and IGIA seem to be very different kinds of secret services. While IGIA spies can't murder or disappear people, for the Hand of Boron that seems to be their main function. So for the James Bond factor, IGIA seems closer to 007 types of things, than the Hand of Boron.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:02 am

Yes, you're right. The Hand of Boron are more assassins than spies. And yes to your assessment that IGIA fits more to 007.

Which secret service should be the next? Directorate for Special Affairs (DSS) of the Horasian Empire?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”