Bornland info (Theater Knights)

MadBeard

Bornland info (Theater Knights)

Postby MadBeard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 am

I intend to run Theather Knights campaign and I have a couple of questions.

I was wondering if there is some book (in German or in release plan) like Warring Kingdoms but about Bornland ?
Or book where I can find more info about Bornland besides bonus background material found here ?

I find it very odd that the first sourcebook is about Nostria and Andergast and the first official campaign is placed in Bornland.
Seems to me that Warring Kingdoms region should be a better choice for the first campaign.

Does a more detailed map of Bornland in English exists? Because those in the adventure are really small and not very useful to get full picture.
I found this one (Fan Projekt). If anyone has something better, please share.

I plan to start with A Goblin More or Less adventure so PCs can get know Festum and relate to goblins.
Then I'll present them a job offer for the parade (Thorwal Drum adventure). But as I'm really not sure how I should run this adventure for them to be fun, I'll just narrate parade and what is happening and present them a choice what happens with a Drum.
And then start with Theater Knight campaign.

I plan this timeline:
    10th of Tsa, 1038 FB. - Start of A Goblin More or Less adventure.
    6th of Phex, 1038 FB. - Heroes must be in garrison for the briefing about the parade.
    8th of Phex, 1038 FB. - Thorwal drum parade, Atmaskottjen.
    12th of Phex, 1038 FB. - Jucho of Dallenthin-Persanzig invites the heroes to his palatial house on the shore.
    Late autumn, 1039 FB. - Start of Theater campaign. - sometime in Boron month

Anyone have some suggestion about running this?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

vendolis

Re: Bornland info (Theater Knights)

Postby vendolis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:01 pm

For the information about the Bornland, there is the Almanach and possibly some Information in the Herald (though I have not read them). In the book "On Aves' Path" you find a short part about the Bornland p.140+
the Last Regional book about the Bornland is from 2008 and is called "Land des schwarzen Bären". That one includes the map you have. I don't think there is any high-res modern map from that area that was published yet.
I also don't understand why they did not have a campaign for the Warring Kingdoms. Maybe the Theater Knights was already being written when they released 5th Edition and they decided to release it for that Edition rather than for the old 4th Edition.

vendolis

Postby vendolis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Addendum:

The full list of references to the Bornland are under "Ergänzende Quellen" on the Wikia page: https://de.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Bornland

Also the book that comes with the GM Screen for the Theater Knights has some additional information for the campaign.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:40 am

There are a bunch of adventures for the warring kingdoms. They were chosen, along with Albernia & the Windhag to be the first releases because they're more "classical" fantasy-settings and more suited for beginners.
The Bornland sourcebook was put back to include the changes made by the TK-campaign. So it's not like "here's a book and here's a campaign that turns around a whole lot of stuff in the book".
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am

yup, the campaigns are meant to introduce changes that lead to the new status quo of TDE. so releasing the regional books before the campaigns would either result in much of the book instantly being outdated, or the book spoiling much of the campaign.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 am

Thank you all for the info

vendolis wrote:For the information about the Bornland, there is the Almanach and possibly some Information in the Herald (though I have not read them). In the book "On Aves' Path" you find a short part about the Bornland p.140+
the Last Regional book about the Bornland is from 2008 and is called "Land des schwarzen Bären". That one includes the map you have. I don't think there is any high-res modern map from that area that was published yet.
I also don't understand why they did not have a campaign for the Warring Kingdoms. Maybe the Theater Knights was already being written when they released 5th Edition and they decided to release it for that Edition rather than for the old 4th Edition.

I read Almanac, but I didn't find anything on Bornland in Heralds (ENG version). I haven't read On Aves Path yet, so I'll look there.

vendolis wrote:Addendum:

The full list of references to the Bornland are under "Ergänzende Quellen" on the Wikia page: https://de.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Bornland

Also the book that comes with the GM Screen for the Theater Knights has some additional information for the campaign.

I'll take a look at wiki. Hopefully google translate will do the trick.
I wasn't aware of any Gm screen and book for Theater Knights. Can you provide link?
I have official TDE GM screen and Inns and Taverns book came with it. Also I downloaded bonus background material for TK.

HEX the Dark wrote:There are a bunch of adventures for the warring kingdoms. They were chosen, along with Albernia & the Windhag to be the first releases because they're more "classical" fantasy-settings and more suited for beginners.
The Bornland sourcebook was put back to include the changes made by the TK-campaign. So it's not like "here's a book and here's a campaign that turns around a whole lot of stuff in the book".

@HEX
Can you tell me a good order of running those adventures you mentioned for Warring Kingdoms?
I didn't read all of published adventures. Just couple of them.
I'm brainstorming how to approach my GM-ing because I'm not sure if I'll have regular players. So maybe will be better to have more players and then run adventures based on players availability.

Bosper wrote:yup, the campaigns are meant to introduce changes that lead to the new status quo of TDE. so releasing the regional books before the campaigns would either result in much of the book instantly being outdated, or the book spoiling much of the campaign.

Yeah. That makes sense if campaigns are so "land changing". I'm still reading both TK adventures, so I don't know what are these great changes.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:38 am

I had the same problem. My players are Born natives yet I was fumbling for answers. Makes no sence to produce a scource book after the campaign. We -my group, would have moved on to explore other regions at the finish, I would not even feel motivated to buy the book by then. So sure I can fill the gaps and then run the risk of canon conflicting, assuming by then like I wrote, I even cared.
We have put the campaign on hold and are off in other games.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:52 am

My post script.
i have been away from this forum for awhile, and again (shout me down if I am wrong) I see references on a english forum for german books or wikis. What good is that. A gm screen for the TK is that out in english. I can spend my time poor self trying to translate what fun. Please lets work with the material we have. What would have been so hard to produce a scource book with decent maps that did not have to be a tome but at least fleshed the bones on the setting. We played the goblin, the witch and the drum scenarios as lead up, but there so so much air between the lines, my players learnt not to ask to many probing questions or I mumbled vague details so as not to drive myself into a hole later.
The company should have done some basic market research - hey what would you like to see along with this 6 part campaign to make it shine?
My 2d

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:13 pm

I can totally understand the reason not to publish a background book for the region in which an important campaign is set. Now I haven't read any of the Theatre Knights adventures but say, if in Adventure the main ruling dynasty gets replaced, in book four one of the important cities gets destroyed and in book a vulkano errupts then the region will look a lot different for years to come and in the sourcebook those changes should be reflected. Otherwise, from now until 6th Edition everyone picking up the book on the region needs a sticker to put on the cover (this is what the region used to be like, before the adventures changed them and this book only provides historical context and these maps are hideously out of date).

Now don't get me wrong, I think the speed at which these products appear has been greatly hampered by them putting staff on Torg and Wrath & Glory (my guess, hearing what actually happens at Ulisses US seems impossible) and leaving the Dark Eye to gather some dust in the meanwhile.

I shan't complain though, compared the short lived attempt during the 4th Edition of the Dark eye the English support is magnificent. Alas I cannot help but to look over the fence to Germany and see the many great products we are unlikely to ever see. Still, I will see you guys at the next Kickstarter, all chipper and looking forward to a step closer to getting this marvelous game the material it deserves.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 am

Yes so much great stuff still awaiting translation. US-U.S. were on track of being 1-1.5 yrs behind German releases until after releasing Warring Kingdoms, then started to slip behind more and more. Wasn't that noticeable when the Compendium & Armory pdf came out to backers, but it is now.

Aside from Magic I and the Blessed Ones book we still await Albernia & Windhag, the solo adventure starring the Guild Mage (would love to have this, Vampire of Havena was great and so useful for learning the rules in a fun and easy manner!) and other adventures like the Heroic Works (we have 7 of these translated and available thus far, not sure what number they are up to in German). Then we have Magic II, Compendium II, other Realm sourcebooks, etc.

While I'm happy for Torg players and WH40K players, I really wish US would focus more on TDE. Especially when FFG did a pretty good job on WH40K (unlike dropping the ball for WFRP 3e) and players of that game already have had enough material to last decades & decades of play. Thing is licensed properties come with their own hassles, pressures and distractions that are resource and time intensive. US are also working on Fading Suns, another property that will take up their resources.

Aside from translations of new books, we still await books like Compendium & Armory PDFs to be bookmarked, errata to be released or incorporated (iron ban translation error being a highlight here)

Quick question: Are Torg & WH40k owned by Ulisses US and only for the english market, or are they owned by the German parent company of Ulisses? Also, are they in process of being translated to German to be released there?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”