Looking for Input - Noble Campaign

Oldfog

Looking for Input - Noble Campaign

Postby Oldfog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am

Hey and thank you for the forum! I am new to Aventuria but have been reading [alot!] lately about the setting, trying to figure out how I shall start my campaign, and figured I would ask the experts about this! :)

The long-story is pretty simple and straight forward. A born noble, a baroness (because that is what the [Noble III] let you play), will be granted a barony. She will be overthrown and will be forced away from her barony. She will then travel Aventuria around until she is ready to face the enemy that forced her away and reclaim her castle.

What I have
This is the variables I have:

• The woman is from Arania
• The woman is not the oldest nor the youngest child in the succession
• The woman shall somehow end up in a barony in the Middenrealms
• The woman is a mage

My Idea
This is my idea so far:

• I think she (the Baroness) should be very young when she move in to the Barony. Maybe her parents force her away from Arania because she is a mage and then Aranians are usually suspicious about mages (Witches are more common!). They can't keep her in Arania, and while she is growing older her powers improve.

• I don't want her to be in the direct line of succession, and I need her to actually BE in the line of succession in a barony somewhere in the Middenrealms. The point is that it needs to come as a surprise for her that she is suddenly the heir to the barony. For example, her aunt and two brothers (who was in the succession before her) instantly dies!

• I want something or someone to overthrew her for [some] reason. Maybe it's A. because she is an outsider and the count revoke her barony, or she has sibling that wants to kill her to get the power, maybe an older brother that think he should be the rightful heir?

• I want there to be a reaosn for her to come back and claim her title, but it must be obvious that she is too weak to do that now.

• I want the barony to be rich. I want her to experience that she really starts at the top, but lose everything.

My Questions
So, here are my questions

1. Technically, can an young Aranian woman be in the third or fourth line of succession in a Barony in Middenrealms? If so, how does it work?

2. Do you have any suggestions of a suitable Barony. I have been looking at Perricum and Weiden and even Greifenfurt.

3. What shall overthrow her? If it is a jealous brother, how would that work. Can she not just walk over to the count, point fingers and tell him that her brother threw her out, and he "takes care of it". Can the count revoke her title? Maybe the count is a really evil or insane and slowly destroys the county with his insanity

4. Any suggestions how she can suddenly be the heir? Maybe the other people in the line of succession dies in a hunt, fire or they might just disappear without a trace (magic involved or demons!).

5. How would a coronation of a baroness work? Is the count involved, or maybe even a duke? is there a chance that Rohaja visit baronies, or she is just visiting the dukes and the counts?

Appreciate some help here! :)
Thank you for reading

/T

bluedragon7

Re: Looking for Input - Noble Campaign

Postby bluedragon7 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 pm

For your first question: Arania was about a generation ago part of the middenrealm, so it would not be so uncommon for a family to have noble holdings both sides of the border in general.
Perhaps even the main character is the daughter of the second wife of the aranian noble and therefore behind her step siblings in Arania but because her mother was herself from the Middenrealm she can also inherit on her maternal side there and be even closer to the throne in that part of the family.

2. The choice is basically yours to make, the different regions have different tropes to work with: Fairies in Albernia, Orks in Griffinford or Weiden, i would make that choice on the type of Stories you want to tell.

3.and 4. A different branch of her family does not want to accept the daughter of the woman married of to Arania decades ago to snatch what they see as their birthright. They might even be behind the accelerated demise of the branch the main character belongs to. Lots of drama and intrigue. First of all claim the character is not really part of the family and try to “accident” her.
Maybe she was originally just planning to visit her distant relatives after finishing her magical education before returning to Arania, arriving just at the wrong moment. No one expected her but now all the best laid plans of the conspirators are endangered by her presence.

5 this will be individually different from coronation to coronation

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am

But mages in general arent allowed to be acting ruler, be it count, baron, king or anything else, in middenrealm or arania. You would have to use another part of the world to make it fit with the canon. Some other tulamidian part or the deep south maybe

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:43 am

She just would have to apoint a Stewart, but yes, her status as magician could be an argument of her enemies.

Actually at that level of nobility there are canon examples of magic users being a barons and even counts in the Middenrealm.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm

bluedragon7 wrote:She just would have to apoint a Stewart, but yes, her status as magician could be an argument of her enemies.

Actually at that level of nobility there are canon examples of magic users being a barons and even counts in the Middenrealm.

Only elves afaik. Not mages. Elfs follow a different set of laws in the middenrealm. Mages as Barons i only know in Bornland

Mages can become nobility as a reward. But only up to the lowest title "noble" were an estate is given to ensure their financial wellbeing. But this is ONLY done to courtmages of high nobles so far.

Edit: the ONLY mage that can legally be a baron is the imperial courtmage, who is titular baron of Rohal's Merlon (Rohalszinne)

The "steward" that a mage can institute if he is the LAST surviving member of the family, will have 100% authority over the barony, without the mage being able to legally take influence. its just someone who is a full fledged ruler for one generation until the mage produces an heir.
Last edited by Bosper on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Its always possible if you appoint a steward to handle the actual administrative tasks to be a mage and a baron or lower.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 pm

bluedragon7 wrote:Its always possible if you appoint a steward to handle the actual administrative tasks to be a mage and a baron or lower.

as i just edited. That "steward" is basically a full fledged baron for one generation. The mage has no influence on his reign over the barony whatsoever. His children will be the next of his name that can rule this place (if they are neither blessed nor mages)

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 pm

What you edited ist strictly speaking not correct.
Once I am back with my books i can quote the relevant sections.

Oldfog

Postby Oldfog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you for the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

How about she being a mage is a secret? I love the intrigue and the part that she needs to suffocate her magical abilities to instead act as the baroness she "needs" to be.

Also, is there a difference between a Guild-mage or a guildless mages? What really does the term "can't be a mage" means in this case? Can't she be a normal person with the gift of magic, without the "title" of being a mage? =)

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Oldfog wrote:Thank you for the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

How about she being a mage is a secret? I love the intrigue and the part that she needs to suffocate her magical abilities to instead act as the baroness she "needs" to be.

Also, is there a difference between a Guild-mage or a guildless mages? What really does the term "can't be a mage" means in this case? Can't she be a normal person with the gift of magic, without the "title" of being a mage? =)

Even a guildless mage is a mage. Trained in the mage tradition. And since the magewars no mage is allowed to be ruler. And that rule isnt easy to ignore by putting a puppet steward between you and the rule. Its not that easy. Other kinds of casters arent directly forbidden, but are restricted in their magic by law, as in cant use it against people and cant use it as a profession, besides it being quite unusual for a witch or druid to meddle in politics.
The occasional (half)elf became baron though. Because those arent mages AND are dealt with in a seperate code of law

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”