Tell me about the Arrows of Light.

Zombra

Tell me about the Arrows of Light.

Postby Zombra » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi, I am making a White Mage character, a member of the Arrows of Light, running around doing missions for them. As English is my only language I am having a hard time finding source material.

Can someone give me a basic rundown on the Arrows? Why do they exist? What's their mission statement? Do they have special rules of conduct? Do they wear cool masks or anything like that? Anything else I should know about them? Etc.

Thanks in advance!

Thrar

Re: Tell me about the Arrows of Light.

Postby Thrar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Inquisition, basically. Track down and stop heretics, traitors, or deviants, saving the souls (and if possible, lives) of innocents.
They're a fairly hierarchical group following orders from leadership of the white guild, but may also be assisting the church of Praios or local rulers when the need arises.

As to cool masks, rituals, modes of operation etc, I'd suggest you come up with something you think is cool and then confirm with your GM. If you want the Arrows to wear cool masks, then they wear cool masks in your game world.

Zombra

Postby Zombra » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Nice. :) Thanks for the feedback.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 am

Thrar wrote:Inquisition, basically. Track down and stop heretics, traitors, or deviants, saving the souls (and if possible, lives) of innocents.
They're a fairly hierarchical group following orders from leadership of the white guild, but may also be assisting the church of Praios or local rulers when the need arises.

As to cool masks, rituals, modes of operation etc, I'd suggest you come up with something you think is cool and then confirm with your GM. If you want the Arrows to wear cool masks, then they wear cool masks in your game world.

Do the arrows of light have any special school ability unique to them?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 am

Morgoth wrote:
Thrar wrote:Inquisition, basically. Track down and stop heretics, traitors, or deviants, saving the souls (and if possible, lives) of innocents.

Do the arrows of light have any special school ability unique to them?

Most of them are recruited from the Gareth academy, but they are an organisation within the white guild and not a school.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:18 am

For me this is exactly the sort of thing we are talking about in the "Does your Aventuria vary?" thread.

If a player in our group wanted to play a character in the Arrows of Light and was asking about a special ability, I'd ask them what they have in mind and let the player make a suggestion, perhaps in the form of a custom magic style ability (as in Magic I).
We'd work out something that fits the background and seems reasonably balanced, then assign an appropriate AP cost. Add in a bit of backstory of how the character trained with the Arrows after graduation to learn this specialty, maybe throw in an old enemy or two for later use, and off we go.

My philosophy here is that the setting is there to enrich the game, not to restrict it. If there is something we want to add and can find a way to make it fit in without major complication, we do it.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am

If you are interested in the official lore:

Arrows of light
Lead by Captain Sagitta da Sambra (Gareth academy mage)
Members : About two dozen (all white mages in the service of the order)
influence: very big (white guild)
ressources: considerable
The executing arm of the Collegium Canonicum, meant to hunt criminal black mages, heretics and traitors inside the guild. They have to answer to the Convocatus Primus of the white guild (Saldor Foslarin https://de.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Saldor_Foslarin ) and are commanded by the headmaster of the Gareth academy (at this time also Saldor Foslarin) . The base of operation is Gareth and they wear white robes with gold brooches. They fullfil their tasks with care and without mercy. The training is hard, eight years long (after the usual mages training) and allows them to teach at white academies only, but have to answer any order from gareth immediately.They are said to be quite arrogant and elitist. Despide carrying out their duties in the open, secrecy is not an option for them or their commander, they are quite successful and have also fought effectively in the third battle against the demons.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Thrar wrote:For me this is exactly the sort of thing we are talking about in the "Does your Aventuria vary?" thread.

If a player in our group wanted to play a character in the Arrows of Light and was asking about a special ability, I'd ask them what they have in mind and let the player make a suggestion, perhaps in the form of a custom magic style ability (as in Magic I).
We'd work out something that fits the background and seems reasonably balanced, then assign an appropriate AP cost. Add in a bit of backstory of how the character trained with the Arrows after graduation to learn this specialty, maybe throw in an old enemy or two for later use, and off we go.

My philosophy here is that the setting is there to enrich the game, not to restrict it. If there is something we want to add and can find a way to make it fit in without major complication, we do it.

There is a cool Special Ability in Magic 1 called Spell Braiding I-II which specifically states calls out the Arrows of Light having something like this. Still it would be nice to see a unique Style Ability for them down the line; as they are Gareth Mages all of them would have the Gareth Style too.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”