Aventurian Calendar

Lorgan

Aventurian Calendar

Postby Lorgan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:31 am

Hello,

Does anyone know what is the official Aventurian calendar? I'm trying to supply my players with some data, so they can choose dates of birth for their characters.

Thanks.

Thrar

Re: Aventurian Calendar

Postby Thrar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 am

Page 58/59 have a description.

Basically, there are 12 months of 30 days each, representing one of the gods. After the 12 months, there are 5 days belonging to the nameless god. The new year starts at midsummer day.

Lorgan

Postby Lorgan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 am

Totally missed that - thanks! Do you perhaps know what year is current in TDE official timeline?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:19 am

Today is Rohalstag, 24th. Hesinde 1039 BF
(http://www.mpcx.net/index.php?page=game ... auge/datum)

7 Days a week
Windsday (thursday)
Earthday (friday)
Marketday (saturday)
Praiosday (sunday (no labour))
Rohalsday (monday)
Fireday (tuesday)
Waterday (wednesday)

[no idea why it is depicted starting with thursday, it would be easier to say the middle day is a day off)

12 Month (30 days each)

1.Praios (July)
2. Rondra (August)
3. Efferd (September)
4. Travia (Oktober)
5. Boron (November)
6.Hesinde (Dezember)
7.Firun (January)
8.Tsa (February)
9.Phex (March)
10.Peraine (April)
11.Ingerimm (May)
12.Rahja (June)
13.Nameless Days (5 days full of dark omens, manifestations of evil beings and spirits)

Lorgan

Postby Lorgan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:30 am

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 pm

In addition: official start year for TDE 5 is 1038 (page 9?) and for DSA 5 1040.

Lorgan

Postby Lorgan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:14 am

@GTStar - I wonder if that means we will get some bits of plot from a previous edition in the upcoming books.

twincast

Postby twincast » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 am

Bosper wrote:Today is Rohalstag, 24th. Hesinde 1039 BF
(http://www.mpcx.net/index.php?page=game ... auge/datum)

I realise that's the conversion method most commonly (and officially) used - most probably because it's the easiest to keep track of with the least amount of calculations (without computers in the olden days) - of the four possibilities, but arguably it's also very much the worst, as it combines both the seasons being off by about six months in each hemisphere and it not being aligned by the only objective correlations in a year, namely solstices and equinoxes. In other words, as far as I am concerned, today is the 4th of Praios, not the 25th of Hesinde.

That said, I vastly prefer the Myranian calendar over the Aventurian one, anyway. Mostly because the issue of a 365-day year is solved by having the important astronomical dates outside the (eight) months instead of lining up a block of five days at once (and that not even centered around one of the solstices, to boot): The longest night is between the last day of one year ("Frostday") and the first day of the next ("Thearchsday"), the longest day is in the exact middle of the year ("Sunsday"), and the two equinoxes are appropriately at the respective halfway points (vernal: "Mistday", autumnal: "Stormday"). Perfect. :) (Ethra has no (nead for) leap days, but for the sake of conversion, I'd probably insert an extra 24 hours right into the middle of the turn of the year.)

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 pm

I personally dont care about exact dates ;)it was just the first reasonable source i found. personally we are hopping through months and seasons, whatever suits the adventure. (well since i am GMastering two long campaigns atm its a bit different of course, but since we dont follow a live timeline, but the one in our campaign, it is again, not so important, i always thought of the live timeline as a fun gimmick, not really as something of use)

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

Is there a calendar/tool like there is for Forgotten realms? Like this.
I mean calendar for particular years (you choose year and dates are displayed for that year), with holidays, festivals, festivities and stuff like that.

Another question. When is Annual Witch's Night (date)? Is it same for all witches or depends on witch coven or something like that?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”