Just writing randomly.

Silverthorne

Just writing randomly.

Postby Silverthorne » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 am

Enri walked down the narrow path to her hole in the wall. "Nothing again today, the guards were out in force." She looked around to see if anyone had heard her. No one else walked the back alleys of Nostria at this hour. She felt a bit relaxed. She felt the slight sensation of someone watching her. She slid against the wall and glanced in all directions. She took a deep breathe slowly letting it out. Too many of her fellow thieves had disappeared in the last few days. She waited till the sounds of the street behind her started to calm her nerves. She slowly moved away from the wall hoping to get home before sun up. She had spent all night trying to catch a wandering drunk unaware. Her stomach complained, again, two days without food would not hurt her, much. She felt along the wall in the dimness of morning and knew that she was almost there.
She slipped into the minor shadow she called a doorway and checked her door, no one had noticed it or at least no one had worked with the handle. She glanced up and down the alley watching for any movement. She pulled the door open slightly and slipped inside. Her world went black and hands grabbed her and a heavy object came down on her skull. Pain and darkness engulfed her.

The two bounty hunters looked down at their prey with a gleam of joy in their eyes. 20 gold for this rag of a girl. Both looked at each other and shrugged, "Money was money." A caught thief was worth the effort of slipping in though the back and catching the scamp unaware. The two of them tied her up in a position that did not allow for movement or circulation, and pushed the door open. They laughed as they pulled their captive up and drug her toward the entrance to her hide out. The sounds of the road up ahead greeted their ears. Their progress was watched by a few scraggly alley cats and a few men hidden in the shadows. Their prey was not these two or the girl they dragged. Their prey was a different sort of beast. One that was much more dangerous than the bounty hunters. Their attention wavered as the bounty hunters started to move away from them. The two bounty hunters came to a stop as a man stepped into the alley looking like death was behind him. His heavy armor was covered in blood and he lunged to get past them. The two bounty hunters turned to let him pass and then started back up the alley heading out. Their weapons being drawn as they walked. A second man moved past them, this one wearing what looked like midnight black leather armor and carrying a pair of short swords. His movements were quick and his attention past the two bounty hunters that they did not realize that their deaths were already written. The four from the shadows had been waiting for this one. Their man had drawn him out and was fleeing for his life. When the two bounty hunters got in the way their lives became forfeit. The four fired on them with crossbows tipped with enough poison to kill a dozen orcs. Their hopes died when their shots hit both bounty hunters and the edges of the man in black's blades. His blades blurred into just sparkles of light. The four lost their lives to him. The one that had run past died of his injuries long before he would have been able to get help. Both bounty hunters were slain by the poison aimed at the man in black.

Enri woke up to a cup of very cold water being dribbled on her lips. Her aching head was laying in a man's lap and he was holding a wooden cup of cold water for her to drink. "Your guides seem to have fallen victim to the arrows of adversary." He chuckled as he pointed at the two bounty hunters that lay near the alley exit.

Waylaynder

Re: Just writing randomly.

Postby Waylaynder » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:55 pm

This is awesome.
Throughly enjoyed it.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Enri looked about trying to get her wits about her. The man kneeling by her was not from around here, his manners and armor screamed outsider. He waited till she was a bit more steady before moving away from her. He started moving bodies. "The authorities in this area are not known for being good at telling what happened. So I am going to take a bit of information out of their thoughts." Enri looked more puzzled. He moved both the bounty hunters to near where the group of assassins were and dumped the bodies. "Though I think that you will need to vacate this area for a bit." He tossed down a rolled up notice. "You resemble the person in this poster." She scrambled to look at it and read a far too close description of herself.

"What about you? You going to go back to whatever you were doing?" Enri asked hoping to give herself enough time to think.

"No my mission here is done, I will be leaving before the sun.." He was about to say sunrise, but glanced toward the early morning sun, already up. "Well, mayhaps by nightfall, you are welcome to come along, the road I travel is long. Company would be welcome, should you find a place where you are comfortable on the way, you can end the journey there." His voice was warm and full of humor.

"What is your name?" Enri looked very cross.

"Camlin, Camlin of the Order." He replied as he started stripping the money pouches off the nearest group. Enri's stomach gave complaint and reminded her that her last meal was a while back. "You are welcome to their belongings if you want, though I think just their pouches, as I can hear the sounds of the guards getting ready for patrol."

Enri calmed herself and listened, she could also hear the sergeant rousting up the recruits. "My name is Enri. What order do you speak of?" She started clearing the bounty hunters of belt pouches and weapons.

"Well lady Enri, I will have to have something to talk about on the road if you are coming." Camlin grinned at her with a slightly superior smirk that was irritating and at the same time inviting.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Enri felt both annoyed and embarrassed. Her being called a lady. That man was going to be a pain, but when the sounds of the watch started getting closer, she knew that just being found in the area would be bad in new ways. She nodded and headed for her hole in the wall. Camlin followed. He stood outside as she went in a pulled her few items into a bundle. The clink of coins could be heard from outside, he was apparently counting the coins he collected. She slightly grinned at that. Her gear was ready in little time, she had little to begin with. She stepped outside to see Camlin kneeling by a small shrine he had set up and prayed slightly to it. That was not one of the 12 gods. She watched and waited for a few seconds. He pulled the pieces of the shrine down and put them back into his pack. She had not noticed he was wearing it.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 am

Camlin made quick progress through the streets and into a back alley tavern that even Enri had never seen before. This place was, from the outside, little more than a door leading down an alley. To her surprise, inside was a nice tavern with many servers and a few bouncers. Camlin was well known here everyone greeted him by name and smiled in his direction. He spoke softly to the bar keep, a burly man with a gnarled eye and arms the size of some men's waist. The man nodded and indicated that the pair were to go into the back.

Camlin nodded and moved over to Enri. "Going to have to ask you to trust me for a few minutes. Brunor is going to open an old smuggling tunnel for us."

Enri nodded and followed feeling a bit uncertain but with nothing to lose but her few valuables, she followed. The back room was about what she expected as the room was loaded with boxes and barrels that could not belong to this inn and she had no thought to peak in them, best leave these things alone and survive.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 pm

The Barkeep came back and physically lifted several barrels out of the way. He did not speak as he worked but made sure to make as little noise as possible in the conditions. "Blade keep you, Camlin." His only words to Enri's companion while they were in the store room. Camlin nodded and went into the tunnel as soon as the way was open. Enri followed feeling that she was missing something. The tunnel was large enough to move a wagon though easily. Camlin drew his sword and put it out in front of him. A slight glow illuminated the blade, the tunnel became only bright enough for them to move down the tunnel.

Enri looked at the blade as the pair walked. "A magical sword." Camlin shook his head in negation.

"The blade of my order. The blade itself is not magical, it just has a few peculiarities. If I took the four ruins out, it would be a normal blade of high quality." He pointed to the three stones set into the hilt. "The last one is the mark of my order." He indicated the one on the pommel. "This one is the special ruin that determines who can hold the blade and who cannot." He continued to walk down the tunnel. Enri looked him over a bit more.

"How does the blade determine who can hold it?" Enri looked quizzically. "What is something like that worth?"

Camlin laughed warmly. "If you can pick up one of the blades, its worth more wealth than you could possibly imagine. If not, it is very hard to sell what you cannot carry." Enri noticed that he carried two blades, the second one also had the marker of his order on the pommel.

She kept close to him as the light did not show far, just enough to given them a bit of light. Her hand carefully caressed the second blade on his hip. A bit of warmth from the blade was the only effect she felt. "Be careful what you touch, the blades have been known to remove body parts of offenders." Her hand jerked away before it could be removed. She glanced at Camlin, he was not even facing her.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:44 am

The end of the tunnel was outside the city and well away from any watchtower. Camlin still made sure that there were no guards on the wall nearest them. Enri watched him with interest. *A man that is both cautious and impulsive, interesting.* The pair made a dash for a nearby group of trees. when the dash was over Camlin pulled out a small traveler's map and looked it over.

"My mission in this area is done, and unluckily I do not have any magics that would help move us along other than my own two feet." He followed the road with his finger. "There are several towns between here and my destination. You are welcome to follow along, or stop off along the way." He slowly got to his feet and climbed up the tree he was leaning against. "My luck, my spare gear is on the far side of town." He climbed down and grinned apologetically. The pair headed west around town and into a little cemetery. He located a small crypt that looked to be fairly well kept and pushed open the door into the main room. The small of dankness was heavy in the little room. Enri glanced down further into the tomb.

"Anything I might find interesting down there." She said with very little humor.

"Nothing that you would want to face with that knife of yours." Camlin reached past Enri and brushed away some dust from an old inscription. "Let no one disturb the rest of the foul Elendar. If I recall my history correctly, Elendar the Foul was killed, burned, his body desecrated, and then buried in several separate coffins. A true son of the Nameless."

"Why do.. would you.. Why are we in here then." Enri was not happy to be in the tomb at all. There was a heavy scraping noise off to her right. She was not quiet about the squeal nor the beating Camlin received for scaring several years off her life. His pack was large and well provisioned. He grinned at her with a bit of devilment in his face, a smile that would later cause her untold headaches.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 pm

The path out of the tomb was not well lit, but fairly straightforward. Camlin was not in a hurry, after looking down a side path, it was no wonder. Corpses littered the floor of the side passage. Camlin did not keep his hand on his blade, he just nonchalantly wandered through a trapped tomb of a madman. When the back exit of the tomb appeared, it was not too soon for Enri. The opening they emerged from was well above the main road and partly hidden. Camlin pulled himself out of the hole and started to set up a small cold camp. "Do you not fear the undead?" Enri was feeling the cold of the walk through a tomb.

Camlin looked at her without missing a beat, "Not really, they react strongly to the touch of one of my blades." He lifted the blade out of his sheathe and held it out for her to look at. The first real looks she had gotten. The symbols for fire, lightning, and cold were visible on the hilt. The rune of his order was prominent on the pommel. "My family likes its sons and daughters to return from their adventures." He showed the pommel, "This acts as a healing rune." Enri reached out to take it without thought. Camlin let her.

"This blade is well balanced. Who made such a blade?" Enri looked shocked at the lightness of the blade and the ease at which it fit her hand.

Camlin grinned. "A smith back home, you could call him my brother, but we share no kinship. He thinks I need a keeper and I know he needs a lass to give him a toss." He slowly started talking about his 'family'. It seemed to Enri that he was introducing them instead of just discussing them. "Oh by the by, that blade is now yours."

Enri nearly dropped the blade. "What!" She started to hand it back, afraid that is meant something she was not interested in.

Camlin just laughed. "My family has a special attachment to those that have the right mindset. Which you appear to have." He refused to take the blade back from her. "The blade is both balanced and hardened. As of yet none of us have found a way to break one. The three symbols on the hilt grant it better damage." He drew his second blade. "The fire rune is made to help us fight undead. The ice rune is to help with those creatures that have a resistance to heat, as the lightning rune is just there to shock and stun the opponent. In all it hits with three elemental types with each hit." He flipped the blade between his hands. "Those that do not posses the right mindset, get hit each time they touch one of our blades."

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TDE)”