Re: what to do with abigail

Postby Waylaynder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks bosper. Thanks lambert.
good luck ck with yours. Fingers crossed for this week

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 am

Game one
The new players started off in the monastery of priaus on an enforced holiday after bringing down arbala of silas (see the mottled serpent quest)
I gave the party the quest as their back story had them go into the refectory for a bit of rumour mongering and have them out on show. Fom there in full view of everyone be pulled into the big bosses office. Here they are given the mission if investigating the blessed one (benedict) in the hinterland village of stand fast.
with the office was a high up representative of hesinde. Who also said they would be part of a convoy to the said village.
Nice quick blessing ceremony followed by a procession to a phexian run Inn.
One of the party chased a spy through the crowd. Caught him. I then played the poison tooth card. The spy had some tokens (stickers from the kickstarter) proclaiming him a secret society member from the mottled serpent quest.
quick meet up with the convoy including disgraced mercenary captain mendoza (bob deniro in the mission)
Finished off with night attack from secret society.

From start to finish I have hinted that the party are being used as political pawns and then bait to draw out the fanatics of the secret society.

Tonight's game is the dreaded travel game of getting party from a to b. I have some set pieces. And a few incidentals. My main mission story wise is to set the village up as a village on trouble also to give benedict a feeling of crucial importance i also wish to hook the players to care about some of the npcs in the convoy.
did quite well with mendoza on that score But that's not too hard when you are shamelessly plagerising bob deniro lock and stock from one of his films.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:06 am

Nice one. Looking forward to hearing about game 2.

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks man.
It doesn't sound as good as it was as I didn't really put anecdotes in.
I think over the weekend I'll post up the plot.
then do an annecdote piece after each session.
we did get a crit last game. And the fate chips make lovely physical rewards to dangle in front of the players.

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:50 am

Awful game last night.
it was like wading through treacle.
I think it would of been one of those nights anyway.
made worse by my exercises in world building and getting to know your fellow convoy travellers.
Should of narrated most of it with just snapshots of interaction, do it like a montage.
with luck next week will happen and I'll remember my old lessons of keeping the pace up. A nice tense fight against some cultists dressed as zombies pouring out of the morning mist while the rest of the convoy traverse over a broken bridge should set the tone.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:57 am

yup rule#1 if travel encounters arent crucial for the plot, skip forward. maybe a single interesting/weird/exciting random encounter (maybe introducing an npc that is of later importance, or just for a little gamistic break in the narration) but thats it for a night.

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Too many npc's
start by describing the convoy. People and wagons.
describe the journey and the people met on the way. Then do some small set pieces. Give them an opportunity to do some individual stuff. Then finish with a set piece.
forgot a few cardinal rules
Been just over a year since I last played.
oh well

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:42 pm

Well, practice makes you a (game) master :D
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:15 am

Over the years I have led and suffered through many stuttering sessions, one in WFRP springs to mind where we had to pretend to be bored on a river boat for a whole session, coming up with all manner of activities, such as gambling, breaking into people's cabins etc just to pass the time. The whole session should have been, you are bored on your journey until the moment something noteworthy happens, perhaps giving each character a couple of lines to describe how they spent the time.

If your next session grabs everyone I am sure that the players will have forgotten the other session soon.

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Had some feedback from a player which was interesting. He was saying in shirt that if some of the other players actually opened up more it would of been easier. He didn't say blood and stone but it fits. I still lay most of last week down at my door. But then I'm a paranoid Herbert so who knows. Probably a bit of both.
anyways I posted this piece of prose below up for the players to read.
I got two great responses from it one read and nothing and one post of a picture which I don't know how to take. I think I'll take it as a positive.
Anyways excuse the grammer. I wrote it at work when I was waiting for the kettle to boil.

They convoy exits the fortified gate of the inn of the last home. The next morning. The atmosphere amongst the travellers is as cold and as misty as the morning. Although barely out of the gates, the warmth and hospitality of the night before is but a distant memory.
Tobias and his team drive the wagons down the switch back trail. Morning dew sprays up into the air with every fall of a horses hoof.
Tobias is withdrawn from the party somewhat although the knight of rhondra has fresh provisions for his beloved bucephalus. Apart from the occasional sweet nothing between the young guard hannes and jody the caravan travels ever northward in relative silence.
An atmosphere of tension enshrouds your thoughts and moods. The nostrian guards stay closer to the wagons ever alert. And watchful. A hand always on a hilt of a blade.
Evening comes and a small fire is lit this is the first time since leaving the capital city that there hasn't been any dancing, singing or true commraderie. Ironically mendoza is coming back to life. Talk at the campfire is stilted and revolves around the bandit/zombie attacks in the local area. Watches are more strictly observed with more people on stag than back in the quaint more civilised lands. The moon is but a day or two away from being full.
The next morning as the ever present mist envelopes the valley the caravan rounds a bend and stops. A massive tree has fallen into and through part of a bridge crossing a deep gorge.
To the left are trees and and hills making an effective wall. To the right sloping downwards is a meadow flanked by more hills to the right and the gorge to the left.

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TDE)”