First Sessions/First Impressions

Bosper

First Sessions/First Impressions

Postby Bosper » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:00 pm

I'm just curious how / if the new backers already got to play and how it went. I hope some of you are willing to share.

In the meantime a little anecdote from my first game back in the day:
1998, i went to the local YMCA youth centre to meet with some folks after school. My brother and a few friends were sitting around a table playing a strange game with pen, paper and dice.

I wanted to join, but needed a character, and they didnt want to interrupt gameplay. So the GM gave me his character, a "gleeman" (juggler/acrobat) of 7th level (back then we still got levels) and while i had lots of fun, it became obvious that the GM always tried to protect his character that i was playing. When it came to a battle he decided "The Bandit tries to split your skull, that only works if he rolls a 1" well...of course it was a 1, of course i botched the parry. and that was the end of the GMs character. (We all were young, dumb and took things too seriously. so we ripped the sheet apart and schadenfreude took its place).

A few weeks later i got my core rules box and here i am now.

Cain_hu

Re: First Sessions/First Impressions

Postby Cain_hu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 am

Hi,

We will be playing our first session on next week (1st of Oct), if nothing unforeseen happen. As my daughter is only 6 weeks old, she countered our previus plans for RPG sessions. :lol:

I play to run the Witch's Dance adventure for my players, and they will be using some sample characters from the core book to try the system. I plan to print them the necessary material beforehand (character sheet, cards for advantages, spells etc.) to make it easier, and do the same for important NPC's for myself.

I'm pretty sure I will be doing some changes/additions to the adventure based on their character choices and to let them to try more of their abilities. Most likely it won't be any major change.

I will do a small report whn we actually played. :)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28 am

Good luck to you and have fun!
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Good luck dude.

Daniël

Postby Daniël » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:07 am

I've finished a DSA mini-campaign this week.
Nothing special, it was just 5 evenings long, used the pre-made characters in the book and we played through 3 of the Heldenwerk adventures. We did Kibakadabra and the 2 that take place in Festum.

The Good
The adventures are nice, comparable to the better Paizo adventure paths.
The 3d20 skill mechanic works well. By evening 2 everybody used it smoothly, including people who still have problems with THAC0 and the Ars Magica mechanics after many years.
Versatility over raw power. The biggest flaw experienced Pathfinder and L5R characters have is that they are often extremely powerful within their specialty and crippled outside of it. DSA characters are more flattened out, with less massive peaks of power and less deep ravines of incompetence.

The Bad
Character creation from scratch is a major pain. One of my players is a serious gearhead when it comes to this stuff and he managed an interesting and effective character, but the 4 others would have been lost without extensive coaching and a lot of time.
And...
The pre-made characters are not ready for play. They need their weapon scores and attack and defense scores listed. And their skills need to have the attributes listed.

The rules are often to finicky. I ended up ignoring a lot of details.

The Ugly The Noteworthy
The cultural stress of learning to cope with newcomers that are culturally different is really on the mind of German adventure writers. Both adventures in Festum are about that.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:06 pm

@Daniël

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to read how first experiences went.

BrianEye

Postby BrianEye » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:20 pm

I just wrapped up a short 1st session via Skype with my good friend (and now forum member, Giddoen).

We covered rules and character discussion, and a brief scenario and a fight with a Cave Spider. He used Korgrimm, one of the sample characters from the Main Rulebook.

It was quite fun, and I found the rules basics easy enough to administer.

I'll definitely be looking to run more on line, and sine in-person games at the local game store.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:30 pm

cool, happy to hear you like it

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:39 am

Daniël wrote:The Bad
Character creation from scratch is a major pain. One of my players is a serious gearhead when it comes to this stuff and he managed an interesting and effective character, but the 4 others would have been lost without extensive coaching and a lot of time.
And...
The pre-made characters are not ready for play. They need their weapon scores and attack and defense scores listed. And their skills need to have the attributes listed.

The Ugly The Noteworthy
The cultural stress of learning to cope with newcomers that are culturally different is really on the mind of German adventure writers. Both adventures in Festum are about that.

The character creation in TDE4.1 was also very very pain in the ass. Therefore I was very happy to see that a very helpful tool exists to create a hero in a very comfortable way. The tool is named "Heldensoftware". Unfortunately it is only available in German and for TDE4. But it will come a TDE5 edition of this tool in the future. I highly recommend to use this tool later, when released. It makes it much easier. BTW also the management of the various heroes.

Sorry, I don't understand the "ugly point". My English isn't good enough and google translate only brings shitty text. Could someone explain what he means?

@Bosper
Is this thread only for the first impressions with the English TDE or also for original German Adventures of DSA?
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am

Morgoth Feuerklinge wrote:
Daniël wrote:The Bad
And...

The Ugly The Noteworthy

The character creation in TDE4.1 was also very very pain in the ass. Therefore I was very happy to see that a very helpful tool exists to create a hero in a very comfortable way. The tool is named "Heldensoftware". Unfortunately it is only available in German and for TDE4. But it will come a TDE5 edition of this tool in the future. I highly recommend to use this tool later, when released. It makes it much easier. BTW also the management of the various heroes.

Sorry, I don't understand the "ugly point". My English isn't good enough and google translate only brings shitty text. Could someone explain what he means?

@Bosper
Is this thread only for the first impressions with the English TDE or also for original German Adventures of DSA?

The Creators of Heldensoftware officially stated that they wont do a TDE5 version. but its not needed anyway. the creation is way easier than in TDE4th and there is a self calculating PDF of the Character sheet that makes a tool unnecessary (but atm its still faster to do it with pen and paper. if you know what kind of character you want you can do it in 30minutes max. )

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TDE)”