why is torg so popular?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

why is torg so popular?

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

It is amazing. Until I joined this forum I had not heard about Torg. But it seems it is very popular. It feels as if on 1 post of TDE a total of 20 posts of TORG appear. (excuse me if the sentence is wrong. Can anybody correct me how I have to say?). Why is it so? Torg isn't a traditional P&P system or else.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Lambert

Re: why is torg so popular?

Postby Lambert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 am

TORG is a very 90ies RPG that innovated a lot of stuff.

For example while it wasn't the first system to feature bennies or fate points (that was the Ghost Busters RPG I think) it certainly popularized the concept. It also gave people absolute freedom to play a Space knight, with a wizard from Avalon, a barbarian from Conan and private detective who one month go tomb raider alla Indiana Jones and next week bringing down a cyber corp.

Also it was released pretty much all over the world.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

ah okay. I thought it is something new. But have it then a continuous storyline? It looks very generic. So it's more like a dungeon crawler, isn't it?

I only noticed that a lot of posts about TORG have been written here for some time.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

Also, we've just completed a fairly large Kickstarter for the first new Torg products in a LONG time. And just last week the backers started getting their first look at the new edition.

There's a lot to discuss. :)

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am

aaah, I see :D

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Morgoth Feuerklinge wrote:ah okay. I thought it is something new. But have it then a continuous storyline? It looks very generic. So it's more like a dungeon crawler, isn't it?

I don't really know the first edition of Torg (might change as I just go a huge pile of PDF for it for free... :lol: ) but the setting presented in the new core book so far is neither generic nor a dungeon crawler. The setting is actually set up very clever and interesting. You read it and immediately get mad ideas as as GM. I am rather impressed so far. And yes it also begs to be continuous. Not as long as TDE but more for a short period of 4-6 in game years as it is essentially a war story.

When the German language kickstarter comes my advice would be to back it. The game is well worth a read.
Last edited by Flash on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm

As others have said, its not generic.
Even Original Torg had a kind of living campaign. back in the early 90's the various adventures had feedback forms and the collected responses from the various registered games were collated and helped form the ongoing storyline.
It is a multi "reality" invasion scenario. Modern Day earth is invaded from other realities. These realities overlay physical regions on the planet and player characters can be from any of the invading realities or from Core Earth itself.
Unlike other multi genre games the different realities actually change the game play rather than just flavouring the narrative.
Player character actions will actually determine the success or failure of the invaders. With territory being won or lost dependent on where the PC's choose to take action.

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Also that 7 vs 1 invasion might sound overwhelming for earth but the leaders of the different invasion forces or realities are a bunch of real assholes.
Even reading only a few lines in the core book about them brings you to the conclusion that their alliance won't hold. As soon as the infighting begins things will probable get hilarious very fast..... :lol:

Not to forget as icing on the cake that these guys have managed to create quite some opposition towards their rule in their own realities. When the time line in the game progresses this war will probable be a highly entertaining patchwork of betrayal, outright war, insane plans, shifting and temporal alliances. A fertile ground for adventuring.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”