Optolith Character Generator

Elytherion

Re: TDE5 Heroes (Beta)

Postby Elytherion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 pm

I wonder if the problem of having to select race and culture before selecting profession might be solved if the offine wiki is finished containing all the profession texts from the online TDE game reference. This way you go check out the wiki list of professions first (if you need fluff texts you need to check out the books anyway) before even creating a character. You can also check out all the races, cultures, special abilities and so on. You can see how it will look like in the future by switching to the "wiki" tab in v0.51.7. I am working on the static texts, but all the texts that can be generated are already displayed.

Interesting thought: What happens when the GM takes the players out of Aventuria and into places not covered by the setting or 95% of the lore? I am building a setting in Aventuria with the Barony of Schlachtenbruck and have plans to construct a major story arc which is not part of the Aventurian continent as I would have to make some changes to the lore there to make it work the way I want it to.

Should this refer to the app or not? If not: I mean, it's YOUR OWN Aventuria. If you change things it is fine AS LONG AS all other players you are playing with agree on this change. I am a GM and one of my friends is a GM, too. I am a player when he is the GM and he is a player when I am the GM. "His" Aventuria slightly differs from "mine". And that's fine. You do not have to stick to the written lore entirely even though it is good if it does not differ too much from the original Aventuria ^^.

But I can't go back and select a Profession later.

If you select a "Own Profession" you have the option to type your own profession name (in the profile tab). What do you think of enabling this option regardless of selected profession? There are both advantages and disadvantages, I know ...

How about having an explanation of the Attributes in the Generator?

Do you have any examples in mind? Because I must not copy the texts describing the attributes on pages 17-19. At least I did not find them in the TDE Game Reference yet (and if they are not available there I cant use them).

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

By the way, the big issue with the app should be fixed now:

• App will no longer crash all the time.
  • Tweaked some colors to improve UI readability.
  • Error messages (the ones that contain "error" and "component stack") can be selected and thus copied.
  • After creating a hero (temporary name, sex, experience level) you will be in the "rules" tab, which is a main tab in this phase of character creation. You can select race, culture and profession by switching to the respective tab.
  • You can now check for updates manually via the Settings window.
  • The wiki, which is shown if you switch to the "wiki" tab, is now complete - regarding functionality. Contents still vary depending on the selected language.
  • If race Elf is selected the app will no longer warn you to not use the selected profession because the calculated AP would be incorrect.
  • Cendrash Style is fixed and can be added to your character(s) again.

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 am

IMPORTANT:

A bug has been found in Update 0.51.7 so that AP for languages are calculated incorrectly. Please do not change level of languages or remove them until I fixed the problem, which I will do ASAP!! You can still add languages without issues, though!

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 am

Found another bug.
When adding equipment to character, The area under the "1" pops up a large field showing an error message.
ERROR
TypeError: Cannot read property 'name' of undefined
at WikiSource.React.createElement.React.createElement.FilterSortUtils_1.sortStrings.src.map.e (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\app\views\wiki\WikiSource.js:8:113)
at Array.map (native)
at WikiSource (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\app\views\wiki\WikiSource.js:8:77)
at mountIndeterminateComponent (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:8032:15)
at beginWork (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:8221:16)
at performUnitOfWork (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:10224:16)
at workLoop (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:10288:26)
at HTMLUnknownElement.callCallback (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:542:14)
at Object.invokeGuardedCallbackDev (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:581:16)
at invokeGuardedCallback (C:\Program Files\TDE5 Heroes\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:438:27)
COMPONENT STACK

in WikiSource (created by WikiEquipmentInfo)
in div (created by WikiEquipmentInfo)
in div (created by Scroll)
in div (created by Scrollbars)
in div (created by Scrollbars)
in Scrollbars (created by Scroll)
in Scroll (created by WikiEquipmentInfo)
in WikiEquipmentInfo (created by WikiInfoContent)
in aside (created by Aside)
in Aside (created by WikiInfoContent)
in WikiInfoContent (created by WikiInfo)
in WikiInfo (created by Connect(WikiInfo))
in Connect(WikiInfo) (created by Equipment)
in div (created by Slidein)
in div (created by Slidein)
in div (created by PortalWrapped)

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

• Fixed AP cost for languages.
  • Fixed generating random values for size and weight of a character.
  • Added error binding to content, so that if an error occurs you can still access the navigation bar.
  • Fixed crashes of wiki box in English version. @Silverthorne: This should fix the bug you mentioned!

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:29 pm

• There are full wiki entries available for all currently implemented entries. Thus the wiki and the wiki boxes are complete.
  • The AP tooltip (if you hover over the available AP of the currently opened character) now show how many AP you spent on which category of entries - how much you spent on spells, on special abilities, on disadvantages, on cantrips, on energies (LP, AE, KP) and so on.
  • I build a new AP system which dynamically calculates the AP. This means if there were or will be issues with calculated AP they will be fixed automatically by installing the patch that fixes this issue. (You still have to open the character and save it, though).
  • Fixed AP value calculation of Skill Specialization (Skill).
  • Lists belonging to a hero (active special abilities, inactive special abilities, skills, professions and so on) now show a placeholder element when the respective list is empty.
  • Slightly improved performance.
  • Improved displaying numbers in some areas.
  • You can now activate or deactivate if you want to see animations or not throught the settings window.
  • Wiki lists now display levels if available (example: Rich I-X instead of Rich).

Have a nice second Christmas holiday!

Ely

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Hey Ely,

Awesome program, it's so amazing and will be very useful in not only making characters, but checking package costs in the core books. A couple of things:

-Any way to change install directory? The *.exe setup file defaults to installing in C: drive; I would like to choose another drive to install.
-I like the auto update feature, hope it stays.
-When will it be out of beta i.e. version 1.00?
-When will you add in the stuff from Warring Kingdoms and the Compendium?
-Can you tweak the Light Theme to be less bright, and maybe add more themes?

Thanks so much for this great program! :D

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you!!! :)

1.:
Currently there is no way to change it. But I can dive into the docs again and see what is possible. I just do not want that you have to manually select the install directory on every update. ;)

3.:
I am organizing my to-do list with GitHub. If you want to you can check out the milestone for 1.0: https://github.com/Elytherion/tdeheroes/milestone/1 It's not that far away, I'd say! ;) YAY! :D

4.:
That's actually an interesting point. It's kind of difficult for me. I mean, the data itself (AP cost, prerequisites etc.) is already implemented as it is shared between the languages. But the translations are a problem because I do not want to buy pdfs just to copy the texts into tables. And because of the wiki is now enabled for the English version, too, all the rules texts must be copied, too - otherwise, the wiki would look weird or a wiki box (this is how I call the side bar with the actual texts from the wiki) might even crash because needed texts are missing (this would not be critical, but it's not a great user experience as well ^^). I spent the last couple of days (probably about 40 hours or even more; didnt pay attention to the time) copying the texts from the TDE Game Reference and inserting styles and line breaks afterwards.
Sadly, I have got a real life ^^ - and a German community for this tool as well. And there is German stuff waiting to be implemented (both data and texts), too. :D You might see, there are a few things I have to think of. I would really like to provide English translations for TWK and ACO but time is limited. :/ My current plan for right after 1.0 is to implement the second Aventuria Magic book (German) and to implement the groups feature, which I would also like to have as a GM. Maybe I can manage to copy the English texts in parallel but I am still unsure about if I should buy the PDFs. I do like TDE a lot and I do like the English version of TDE but I do not play TDE in English currently. If I was playing the English version I would buy the physical books and not the PDFs. I bought the Core Rules PDF (for the English version) but besides copying the texts that were missing online I never used it.
If there is someone out there who would like to contribute - even if it is a tiny part - and who got the respective PDFs it would be great. Really. If there are some who want to contribute but do not want to copy and paste text - which I can understand - you can also help me catching bugs or providing early feedback on preview versions. There's only one restriction: I do only provide preview versions for Windows. Well, and you would need Discord.
Somehow I drifted away from answering your question ... but I dont want to delete what I just wrote ... :D Anyway, I hope this answer is acceptable! ;)

5.: Well, the light theme is intended to be that bright, it's basically the opposite of the dark theme to provide a hight contrast ratio and to create a clearer UI hierarchy. I once used the app in a very bright environment and I was quite happy it had that large contrast. I would rather introduce a third theme (aka "Not that light"). Joking aside, I will add that to my to-do list. ;) But cant tell you an ETA.

Silverthorne

Postby Silverthorne » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 am

I have got a serious question. I wanted to put in trade secrets that are not listed in the book. How would I go about it.

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 am

I am sorry but custom stats are not currently possible. :( You would have to do that on the sheet itself or use a placeholder trade secret instead.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”