German - English Dictionary

Morgoth Feuerklinge

German - English Dictionary

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 am

In some threads the translation question was often raised. Therefore I want to concentrate this questions in this specific thread.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: German - English Dictionary

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 am

HEX the Dark wrote:Yeah, same here...

It would be nice toknow if the pages are the same in the german and english books. That'll be a start.

Then let's find it out. Someone with English books and someone with German should take the same book and compare some words.

But I guess, it won't be always the same page.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 pm

I think part of the problem is that we don't have a good format for gathering the translations. The wiki pages are a good idea but they're not very suitable UX (user experience) in my opinion. Having to load a different page for every letter is quite cumbersome in practice.

Can we come up with a system that's more user-friendly? Something like a single-page list with a search field where it filters as you type would be ideal I think.

While looking for a suitable platform, another thing that would be helpful to start would be for people to list words that they want to have in the translation, even if they only know the English or the German term. Someone with access to both (like myself) could then go and provide the other half without having to go through making a list of words in the first place.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:39 am

very good ideas!

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:59 am

Just an idea:

There seems to be the possibility, to read out all words in an pdf (Nick_Nack did this for his analytics about use of talents in adventures).

So it should be possible to generate a list of all words in both languages, check out the nouns and match those lists manually?

The last point should be a lot of work, but this could be splitted.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:27 am

I can provide with you with all translations regarding char creation (skills, application, spells, adv/disadv etc). It's an excel file that Elytherion and I created for his character generator app. Just need to check if it's ok with him.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Sorry, I read over this thread ... shame on me! ;)

Of course you can use it. I merged the two locale files and attached it to this post. I didnt work (much) on the layout, but I hope its still useful.

EDIT: I havent worked on a more user-friendly layout for the following, too (I might put some work into a translation tool for the CG instead), but I am sure that you can still use it: I included the files for my UI translations into the zip archive. Its key-value based, so if you know the key in one file, you can look it up pretty easy in the other file. A table would be better, certainly, but - to be honest - I am currently not motivated to create a table, as I have heaps of stuff to do on my CG. :) (Why you might need this? Translations for derived characteristics, abbreviations, the character sheet (and UI) are included => heaps of used terms)
Attachments
TDE5_DICT_de_DE_en_US.zip
(89.7 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”