Fantasy Grounds and The Dark Eye

DK13

Fantasy Grounds and The Dark Eye

Postby DK13 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 am

Has anyone investigated a framework for The Dark Eye in Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop? I know official rulesets don't exist (yet!) but I have seen mentioned online German players using the program so I'm curious if anyone has given it a crack.

Eric USNA

Re: Fantasy Grounds and The Dark Eye

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:30 am

There may be something in the works...

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:34 am

Why in hell FG? It's one of the worst VTTs out there. All it's got is "visual candy". It have very steep learning curve, very clumsy UI and what is most important, pricing is awful.
You have many better solutions and they are free. I've been playing with VTT for cca 8-9 years and I've been using TTopRPG vtt. For me it's the best vtt out there and I tried them almost all of them. Although, while you can use it for TDE, it's not the best solution because it was created for pathfinder (d20 systems) and you can't do that advanced macros like for TDE. With TTopRPG I played D&D (2ed, 3ed, 4ed and 5ed), Pathfinder, Savage worlds and GURPS.

Another solution is (also free) Maptools and maptools are very customizable and you can play any system with it. I didn't learn it yet, but I plan to. I'll probably create macros and campaign settings for TDE ruleset when I get around.

Third free solution is roll20. Bern on the forum is running TDE game in roll20.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Madbeard -

First of all, working with one VTT does not prevent us from working with others. We are happy to have fans using a variety of platforms - whatever works best for you!

On the publisher side, Fantasy Grounds is the most appealing partially because they take care of all the work. They hire people familiar with their system and ours, and they take care of all the coding and setup. It's also better from a licensing standpoint because the art and story stays in the platform itself. I know Maptools (and I assume TTopRPG) would require us to open everything up and make it widely available, which would be less than ideal. Roll20 has slightly better licensing protection, so that may be something to look at down the line. However, we would have to do that ourselves. All Roll20 offers is a DIY marketplace.

So while I definitely understand that there are varying experiences on the user side, this is the most efficient way for us to get something out there sooner. Meanwhile, we certainly won't discourage you from using whatever platform you want!

-Eric

DK13

Postby DK13 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Honestly? The eye candy factor has it. It is a lot easier to get players interested in something that is visually appealing and is free to them (as long as the GM has the ultimate license) as well as having the ruleset built in (In FGs case, it has D&D atm and several others but not The Dark Eye. Yet). I've used Maptool and loved it, the macros are easy enough to figure out etc. but it doesn't have the mass appeal of something like FG. Small things like actually rolling the dice count for something with most players, and it is a better approximation of the tabletop experience, at least in my opinion. If the Dark Eye rules could be integrated into Fantasy Grounds, even if you need to pay for the privilege, it would make it easier for players to get involved in the online experience.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:59 am

@Eric
Sorry for confusion. My post was directed to DK13. It's commendable that you'll get a deal with FG. This means potentially more customers for you and that's better for all of us :)

@DK13
I must apologize if my post sounded little harsh. This was not my intention. I was just trying to point out that there are much better VTT out there than FG.
I'm certainly not appealed by visual candies, not are many people I know of. What I'm interested in is "gameplay" and how particular program do what is intended to do. Same as games, I want gameplay to rock, graphics are just a bonus :).
I find FG very clumsy in that department. Yeah sure it's nice to see virtual dice rolling but that's not what is making my life as a GM easier. I forgot to mention that I evaluate VTT in GM eyes not in players because usually I'm the one that is running games.
So what I'm saying that is very difficult to create and run games with it in comparison with some other VTTs.
On the plus side, I see now that they finally changed their pricing policy (which sucked a lot before) and now there is a option for monthly subscription which wasn't available before (don't remember when I last checked). Before everybody had to buy program if GM didn't have Ultimate version which was/is very expensive. Now you can just take monthly subscription to see how it'll go.

Another thing is that if you don't buy rulesets and adventures in FG (another expense - you already bought adventure, pdf or physical and you "have" to do it again), you have ton of work as a GM to do that (map manipulation, tokens etc). I find that much easier and intuitive to do in other VTTs which are free.
I personally have nothing against FG but I'm still surprised how they don't react and implement stuff that other free VTTs have. It would be better for everyone.
Unfortunately you are right that other VTTs don't have much appeal as FG, but I think that beside visuals, that is due to their PR. Every site mentions FG and very few mention other VTTs.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

wilcoxon

Postby wilcoxon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 am

I own FG2 but I agree with MadBeard about it. It's far from the best VTT out there. Some of the newer ones have real promise. Skirmish is still in beta but looks promising (I hope they relaunch their Kickstarter at some point). Battlegrounds has been around for a while looks promising (not the best pricing but not horrible).

At least FG2 pricing is better than HeroLab (at least last time I looked).

DK13

Postby DK13 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 am

Fantasy Grounds actually passed me by for the longest time, I was messing around with Maptools a few years ago, it was only in the last year I discovered Fantasy Grounds was a thing, due to Steam Sales. I got it cheaper than usual by waiting for another Steam Sale, I haven't used it much but like you have all said it has it's drawbacks like all programs. We'll see what the future holds for FG and The Dark Eye but it sounds like Ulisses is behind it!

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:48 am

wilcoxon wrote:I own FG2 but I agree with MadBeard about it. It's far from the best VTT out there. Some of the newer ones have real promise. Skirmish is still in beta but looks promising (I hope they relaunch their Kickstarter at some point). Battlegrounds has been around for a while looks promising (not the best pricing but not horrible).

At least FG2 pricing is better than HeroLab (at least last time I looked).

Wilcoxon thanks for the Skirmish link. I didn't heard about this one. I'll definitely check it out ;)

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 am

There will be Roll20 support for TDE5 (both german and englisch) very soon, hopefully this month.
See this video at 14:24.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”