Rules Wiki

TeichDragon

Rules Wiki

Postby TeichDragon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Over at the RatCon (german TDE largest Convetion) Ulisses just announced a "Rule Wiki" similar to the system of Pathfinder - starting next month.
(Paizi PRD / German PRD).

I think it's save to assume, an english version is possible and maybe they are already planning a wiki with multiple languages supported.
Since I am NOT over at RatCon, I don't have a direct conctact currently, but will try to answers questions asap.

Eric USNA

Re: Rules Wiki

Postby Eric USNA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 pm

I will certainly be checking into these things in the coming weeks, but anything that is just being announced in German is going to be a pretty long way off for English.

-Eric

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:21 am

So the big 2 announcements of RatCon were the online rules reference (similar to Pathfinder) and an online portal where fans can create and sell Dark Eye content (similar to the D&D DMs Guild). For this they can freely copy and paste from the rules wiki. People can sell their material for free, on a pay what you think it's worth model or an actual fixed price.

This freedom though only covers traditional text formats (obviously with pictures) but no audio, video or interactive products.

Seeing that the Dark Eye community is fairly prolific, there might well be high quality content coming from there.

A lot of this shouldn't in principal take too long to get translated, but yes I expect it'll be next year (not next month like for the German fans) before we see it.

Anyway ... can't wait for my Almanac and Warring Kingdoms books so I hope that not too much Ulissses US presence will be diverted from project catch up.

All in all, the future looks bright.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:23 am

According to an Ulisses employe it will start in German AND english :)

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:27 am

Great stuff Teich,
I suppose seeing that it's fan content, that aspect is fairly language agnostic. If the English speaking fans publish things in English then we'll get both options.

Also, for some of my proposed players an online reference will be a great tool.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:32 am

I was informed a few days earlier that they will announce this wiki, but haven't got all the information how it definitly works.
And since everyone is at the RatCon now, I just got this information via facebook messenger from Michael (Mingers).
Once I have more information (or they post something on their website), I'll let you know here.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 am

I wonder how long it'll take the english community to grow bigger than the german one...

I just hope Ulisses will not ad the caveat that the can take any text they like witout mentioning the author for official releases.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:03 am

I very much doubt that they would,
but I do think that people who are publishing well received high quality submissions might well be approached by Ulisses for future workings, but I have drawn this from the Tweets of a German Dark Eye site. The actual presentation was recorded and hopefully will be available on the Ulissess YouTube channel before long.

As for the relative size of the community. I think the English community has the potential to outgrow the German one in due course, but you have no idea just how big the Dark Eye was (and still is in people's memories) in Germany. I would welcome an English community large enough that everything gets translated as part of the development process but that will take years, I would expect.

Still this is all great news and I am looking forward to seeing some new great content in one place.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:10 am

HEX the Dark wrote:I wonder how long it'll take the english community to grow bigger than the german one...

That would be interesting to see. A situation like for example with Shadowrun... :lol:
But it would also mean that TDE would be a international success as TDE is still the most popular RPG in Germany.

HEX the Dark wrote:I just hope Ulisses will not ad the caveat that the can take any text they like without mentioning the author for official releases.

It will probable take a while before we know more about the exact details how it will work.

But still very exiting news.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:13 am

Flash wrote:It will probable take a while before we know more about the exact details how it will work.

They said its coming next month (i.e. September) so I reckon we should know the details quite soon.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”